Wrapping MP soap

PAgirl89

Right now I'm wrapping the soap with soap wraps from Labels by the Sheet, but I'd like to fully wrap the soap in paper or something else. I bought parchment paper at the grocery store last week and was going to try that, or maybe Saran wrap.

If I use the parchment paper, should I wrap the soap in the saran wrap first, then wrap it in the parchment paper? Or is the Saran wrap not necessary?

or maybe I should just go with a white box with a cut out for sniffing.

TIA

Edited by PAgirl89

I'm still a newbie with the soap, but everything I've read has advised me to wrap soap quickly after it is able in either shrink wrap or heavy duty saran wrap, to keep the moisture in, so I wrap all mine tightly and hit it with the heat to seal it, and put the ingredient sticker on the back of the bar to secure it. HTH, but check with the master soapers. Candybee has AMAZING recipes, and is always helpful. Good luck! BTW: We have no trouble smelling the fragrance through the saran wrap. Even through the top quality wrap. HTH. :)

If you want to fully wrap your soap I've seen it done with burlap, cheesecloth, and tissue paper. I know a CP soaper that wraps all her soap in a double layer of tissue then finishes with a cigar label.

I never worried about wrapping my soap and shrinkage. I just put cigar labels on my soap I sell. I found that I didn't see any significant shrinkage with wrapped soap vs unwrapped. Both shrink over time as the water content evaporates. It happens to all soap. Used to wrap my soap right away in cello bags then put in soap boxes. They still shrink over time and the bottoms get a whitish coating after time that needs to be scraped off.

The bonus is the older the soap the less water content and more lather. I love pulling a bar of stored soap out of my linen closet. One thats been drying out for weeks or months. It has so much more lather and its harder too.

Edited by Candybee

Well I tried the saran wrap, didn't work too well. So I pulled out the shrink wrap bags I have and tried those. I had to cut some from the bag as they were too big, but it worked pretty well. I normally store the soap in a ziploc baggie till I'm ready to wrap them, but these I shrink wrapped as soon as I cut them.

post-12619-139458485591_thumb.jpg

These bars are smaller than what I usually make. I have been making 3x3 bars, these are smaller. The white boxes I have would work with the smaller bars but not the 3x3's.

Well I tried the saran wrap, didn't work too well. So I pulled out the shrink wrap bags I have and tried those. I had to cut some from the bag as they were too big, but it worked pretty well. I normally store the soap in a ziploc baggie till I'm ready to wrap them, but these I shrink wrapped as soon as I cut them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22437[/ATTACH]

These bars are smaller than what I usually make. I have been making 3x3 bars, these are smaller. The white boxes I have would work with the smaller bars but not the 3x3's.

I can't answer your question...But your m&p soaps look amazing!! Could you share what mold that is? My mom likes that shape for a soap and I haven't been able to find it. I would love to make them for her. But at any rate I love the swirls you got!!

The mold I used for the smaller bars is a heavy duty plastic tray mold (I think it's a Mold Market mold). It makes 8 bars and I just cut them apart after I unmolded it. The swirl on these bars was an attempted try with a technique SoapQueen had posted on her blog. I used only 2 colors, where the tutorial uses 3 or 4. I can't swirl to save my life but these turned out pretty good.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/melt-and-pour-soap/marbled-soap-tutorial-2/

The mold I think I got from NG - http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/MM-mold5/-Large-Rectangle-Tray--Mold-Market-Molds.html