Handling returns?

classiccandle

How do you go about handling returns for candles and wax tarts? Do you accept them at all and if so do you offer their money back or an exchange for a comparable item? I know returns for items because they don't like the scent or because they dropped the candle and broke the container are probably not allowed but what about complaints about tunneling (because they failed to burn it long enough) or they just decided they didn't want the candle(s) or tart(s)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Depends on the situation for us on returns. We have exchanged, refunded and even swapped in the past. This did get me thinking of one customer we had that bought from our market then emailed us saying something bad about the candle, we told her to return it and we will work it out for her. She then came to the market WITHOUT the candle she "said" she bought and wanted a freebie.... Told her sorry but without a receipt or product, you get NADA =)

Sadly there are some that will try anything to get ANYTHING free!

We've never had a return in 10 years of biz.... however, my policy is no exchange no return for not liking scents, dropping jars or burning improperly. I did do one exchange as the person who received the candle is allergic to fragrance,,, we did exchange with her for some of our food products.

Edited by SherriLynn

I state no returns, no exceptions unless it's a manufacture defect,(like I forgot to wick the jar or the candle will not burn period-it's never happened) if it did, it is apples for apples. No swaps for size or scent. And I require the candle is sent back, if I made a mistake I want to see it, learn from it and correct it.If they didn't follow the instructions then no refund is issued and they are responsible for the cost of shipping the item back to them. - This clause also takes care of the loop hole as far if someone were to try to claim defective when in fact they just don't like the scent.

If something breaks in transit, I require proof such as a pic of the damage or Fedex will inspect it etc. Depending on what the customer wants I either remake exactly what they ordered or I refund them for the damaged products.

I've seen it all over the years and I've had to buckle down and be firm with my return policy. I can't play ship n sniff with people on the internet and be expected to eat the cost if someone just decides they don't like a scent they chose. I just can't afford it.

We actually allow returns on our candles/tarts as long as they're returned in the same condition they received them. Naturally, they have to cover the shipping cost to return them (which usually keeps them from doing it), but I see no problem in allowing them to return something that you can just put back in stock to re-sell. We don't allow returns on b&b -- that's different ;-)

The exception to our policy are candles/tarts that melt out of shape during summer months. USPS doesn't cover this, even with insurance, so we don't allow it.