Has anyone tried straight IGI6006 or 444 for tarts?

flowerbaby

I just talked to customer service at Candle Science and Heather suggested trying either IGI 6006 or GB 444. I was curious if anyone had tried either of these. I am curious if the 6006 releases from the clamshells, and I am also curious if the 444 makes pretty tarts with no frosting? I will be a full on expert about tart wax when this "research and development" phase is over with hee hee.

I don't use these waxes but i do use 464. I do believe that 6006 and 444 are both container blends if your trying to make tarts I don't know why these were suggested I know gw brands makes a tart wax 416. I have used 464 for tarts and they do POP right out of the clamshells but I do it for my personal use when I have.leftover wax in my pot. I would try a pillar blend for tarts if your using molds especially since this wax purposely pulls away from the mold so it is able to release.

That is all very helpful. I really didn't see how the 6006 would release from the clamshells, but she is supposed to e-mail me back tomorrow as she had made some clamshells with that wax and would let me know if they released from the mold. She said the 464 frosts and there is something added to the 444 so it doesn't. Also she said the 444 can hold more scent oil. She also said the 464 tends to crumble when you take it out of the clamshells and the 444 doesn't. I am completely confused and on information overload, but it will all work itself out.

I am going to start the testing of all the different wax mixes I made up on Sunday. I can't wait to try the Candlesource wax.

6006 would not be good on it's own for tarts...I use a para-soy tart wax blend and add 20% 444 and they release just fine from molds and clamshells. I think the only real difference between the 464 and the 444 is the melt point...464 has a lower melt point than the 444.

What is your reason for adding the 20% 444?

flowerbaby.....my para-soy mix tends to dimple a bit on the tops after they have cooled. The added bit of soy prevents that. Tarts are still nice and hard and ship perfectly. It's just an asthetic thing for me. (I don't think I spelled that right).

I see. I use Ky's parasoy votive wax and it does dimple. It is good to know that with the 444 it wouldn't. I am on a quest for a wax that gives the longest scent throw. I have been somewhat dissatisfied as of late with the Ky . it seems different in that it doesn't seem to throw as long as it once did. I have been told to heat the wax hotter than what KY recommends. I am testing several different blends of waxes including the Ky that I heated to 185 and will let you know my results.

Is it the KY parasoy wax that you use?

I just talked to customer service at Candle Science and Heather suggested trying either IGI 6006 or GB 444. I was curious if anyone had tried either of these. I am curious if the 6006 releases from the clamshells, and I am also curious if the 444 makes pretty tarts with no frosting? I will be a full on expert about tart wax when this "research and development" phase is over with hee hee.

I used to use both 444 & 464. I made tarts with 444 for my own use and they were fine. No frosting, no dips, the throw was pretty good and they did hold up over time in poly bags without any crumbling or discoloration. My personal opinion though... is if I were going to sell them I would of opted for GB votive/tart/pillar wax (forgot the name) 412 maybe? I really am not sure.

I use 444 for my tarts and they do frost, but that doesnt bother me. They release well. I used to use the 464, but they tended to stick to the molds and were a bit soft for my needs. I have also done the 444 in clamshells. they release great, but they are very crumbly and can be messy. I didnt like that about it.

I use 444 for my tarts and they do frost, but that doesnt bother me. They release well. I used to use the 464, but they tended to stick to the molds and were a bit soft for my needs. I have also done the 444 in clamshells. they release great, but they are very crumbly and can be messy. I didnt like that about it.

So you do use the 444 for tarts, but just not clamshell tarts. Is that correct?

Only in the candle (or wax) business can two people use the same product and get entirely different results :)

O.K. I have an over abundance of 6006 so got all excited when I saw somebody making tarts with it. I don't want to do anything with wicks other than Tea lights so I tried it. If I freeze them they come out , otherwise it did not work. Don't think I want to tell customers they have to freeze their tarts to get them out of the clamshell or portion cup. Back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...
O.K. I have an over abundance of 6006 so got all excited when I saw somebody making tarts with it. I don't want to do anything with wicks other than Tea lights so I tried it. If I freeze them they come out , otherwise it did not work. Don't think I want to tell customers they have to freeze their tarts to get them out of the clamshell or portion cup. Back to the drawing board.

I got all excited when I read "released beautifully from the molds." :drool: Love that greasy stuff.

Someone else said where candle science recommends 6006 for clamshells also. That is just plain dumb. It is a container wax and too soft. Unless you want to fight and dig out the tarts!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe a candle company recommends such a dumb thing! Your clamshell tarts should crack and fall right out!

That is just plain dumb.

Well, you should write and tell them your opinion, then. But before you do, you may want to fact check and see what CS DOES say, first...

http://www.candlescience.com/wax/paraffin-wax.php

I don't see them recommending 6006 for tarts there, do you? Does anyone?

Edited by Stella1952

Well thank you for pointing that out. Sorry we cannot all be perfect!! (Is anyone?? lol)A friend was telling me where she watched a video I thought she said CS it could have been another one but they def. recommended the 6006. I have seen it myself. I personally would not use a container wax for tarts. Simple as that but everyone has their own opinion. What may work for one may not work for another :-)