Presto Pots

Do you fill the Presto pot full of wax or just what you need?

You can do it either way. Small or large batches depending on your needs.. :)

Each presto will hold 8lbs of wax.

I fill 8lbs of wax in each presto, then I weigh my FO in my pour pot, when wax hits the perfect temp, I pour the FO into the presto, stir real good, then pour into my jars.

(I do ladle some wax out of the presto into the pour pot and swirl it around to make sure I get all the FO out of the pour pot and into my wax. :) )

I make 9# batches. I clip a thermometer on the side, preheat the FO & dye in the pour pitcher in an old electric skillet with water in it, then ladle the wax into it and stir until the temp has fallen to my desired pouring temp. If I get interrupted or have some wax left over, I turn the pot off, stir until the wax is slushy then put the top on and unplug the cord from the wall. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Each of my pour pots are designated for a particular wax type. Depending on what I am making, I heat the entire pot so it is all liquid and replace wax as I go. Usually I immediately replace whatever wax I use.

I noticed on one of my pots (this one does not have a spigot) that wax is leaking through slowwwwly where the handles are attached... also seems to be leaking through to where the cord connects!! :shocked2:

Anyone had this happen? Is this particular pot a gonner?!?!

I use a presto pot and I fill it with wax, melt to about 175, then I turn it back to WARM (150). I ladle out what I need into a pour pot, and add FO. I always wipe out the pot with a paper towel when changing waxes and unplug the pot when finished pouring.

I too use mine to melt straight wax and replace as I use it - always have a full pot of wax at about 190 and ready to go. Add wax to pour pot with FO & dye. I have mine running 5 days a week, 7 hours a day and haven't experienced any leaking around the handles, cord, or spigot - be curious to see if anyone else has EnvyCandles!

I have 4 prestos - labeled. Votive, container, pillar and left overs. I use the left overs for fire starters. I fill each pot with wax and UV inhibitor only. I mix wax, dye and color in a pour pot. 3 have spigots and sit up on a shelf on my work bench so I can put my scale and pot under the spigot. They used to sit on sideways milk crates, but I'm classier now. LOL

Oh, I've had my oldest one for 7 or 8 years now and have never had any leaks.

Edited by Georgia

Your PP must be different from mine. The inside doesn't have any holes for handles, it's solid and smooth. It's probable wax that has dripped from your ladle and hardened only to melt next time your heating. Just looks like it's leaking.

Edited by Sharon in KY

probable wax that has dripped from your ladle and hardened only to melt next time your heating. Just looks like it's leaking.

That's what I thought too. It only takes a weensie little splatter to become oil and run all over the place...I try to remember to wipe off the connectors, and underside when the pot is still warm after using - that way it doesn't build up, get drippy and horrifying.

I guess everyone else has a bigger presto pot than I do. Mine only holds 6 or so LBS of wax. Wish I could get 8 or 9 in there!! But yes, I do the same as everyone else, but I do keep it full. Melt time is not long and doesn't bother the wax to keep being remelted. That and we just cycle through so much in the first place that it gets used quickly anyway.

Is there a retail store that sells the unmodified ones? I looked in WalMart and didn't see any, Bed Bath and Beyond didn't seems to based on their online site, Target only sells them online and, of course Amazon does too. I'd rather save myself the shipping cost if possible.

I use a presto pot and I fill it with wax, melt to about 175, then I turn it back to WARM (150). I ladle out what I need into a pour pot, and add FO. I always wipe out the pot with a paper towel when changing waxes and unplug the pot when finished pouring.

@PAGirl

Off topic but............

JSHomespuncreations is a REALLY nice site! Congrats. (I've built over 300 sites and not a one looks as good!)

Tom

Is there a retail store that sells the unmodified ones? I looked in WalMart and didn't see any, Bed Bath and Beyond didn't seems to based on their online site, Target only sells them online and, of course Amazon does too. I'd rather save myself the shipping cost if possible.

To save yourself shipping.... you can purchase it through WalMart's website and have it delivered site to store and shipping is free. Then you just pick it up at the store when it gets there.

Your PP must be different from mine. The inside doesn't have any holes for handles, it's solid and smooth. It's probable wax that has dripped from your ladle and hardened only to melt next time your heating. Just looks like it's leaking.
That's what I thought too. It only takes a weensie little splatter to become oil and run all over the place...I try to remember to wipe off the connectors, and underside when the pot is still warm after using - that way it doesn't build up, get drippy and horrifying.

:laugh2: :rolleyes2

NO idea why I didn't put 2 and 2 together. No, Sharon, we have the same pots, mine does not have holes for the handles either! This is the only presto pot that I have that does not use a spigot, so clearly I must have dripped near the handles/ cord when filling, scooping out! I guess I just assumed that it was leaking, but with no spigot on this one... how could it leak?

You guys are soooo smart!! Thanks!

I just bought mine at Walmart.

Each of my pour pots are designated for a particular wax type. Depending on what I am making, I heat the entire pot so it is all liquid and replace wax as I go. Usually I immediately replace whatever wax I use.

I noticed on one of my pots (this one does not have a spigot) that wax is leaking through slowwwwly where the handles are attached... also seems to be leaking through to where the cord connects!! :shocked2:

Anyone had this happen? Is this particular pot a gonner?!?!

I have been having problems with my pot the last month or so for the first time in years. First it began leaking around where the pour spout was put in. That was fixed with removing and adding some new JB Weld.

Then it began leaking wax out of where the black square thing plugs into the pot. That got repaired by cleaning out all the wax that had accumulated in there. Two days ago I was making 5 testers and I had problems again where the black thing plugs in not working. It stopped heating, was doing a little sizzling and when I would plug it back in, I would get it to heat a bit and stop again. Well, it once again got a build up of wax in there causing the prongs to not get proper contact.

I am wondering if my pot wasn't on it's last legs but I didn't realize it. It seemed to all begin when I began melting Palm wax in the same Presto I had used previously for soy and then to the soy/para blend I've stayed with. I suspect the wax was already built up in there but the high temp of heating Palm caused it to begin melting and leaking around different places.

I don't know if it will have to be replaced yet or not until I begin working with it again this coming week on finishing up my fall scent line. Luckily, a quick run into the store for a new pot and spout would only set me back about 24-36 hours while the pot is modified to add the spout and the JB Weld sets up.

I have been having problems with my pot the last month or so for the first time in years. First it began leaking around where the pour spout was put in....Then it began leaking wax out of where the black square thing plugs into the pot. That got repaired by cleaning out all the wax that had accumulated in there. Two days ago I was making 5 testers and I had problems again where the black thing plugs in not working. It stopped heating, was doing a little sizzling and when I would plug it back in, I would get it to heat a bit and stop again. Well, it once again got a build up of wax in there causing the prongs to not get proper contact.

Jeanie, if you have other Prestos, try using a different cord (the actual cord & magnetic connector) and thermostat (the part with the dial and rod that inserts into the base of the pot) in the pot that's giving you trouble. If the problem vanishes, see whether it's the cord part or the thermostat part. Once you have isolated which part is giving you problems, you can order a replacement from Presto.

For general info:

There are 4 parts to a standard Presto: the lid, the kettle, the thermostat and the breakaway magnetic cord.

The lid: I don't ever use the lid while heating wax. It should be used only to cover the pot after use for keeping out dust & debris. The reason is because tiny specks and spatters of wax from the rim of the lid melt and seep onto the outside of the pot where they can run into areas of concern if not noticed and completely wiped away.

The kettle: the kettle is completely intact on the inside. It will not leak from inside. I never use a spigot on mine because sooner or later it WILL leak. The only area of concern on the kettle is wax dripped near the handles where it can drip further down to the bottom or into the hole where the heating rod plugs to heat the electric element inside (the raised round thing on the bottom that's encased in the metal of the pot). THAT is a vulnerable area which should be inspected and cleaned often. A Q-tip works. A bamboo skewer wrapped in a paper towel or cotton ball also works.

The thermostat: this is the most vulnerable part of a Presto to wax drips. It cannot be immersed to wash it. You simply must keep all drips off it and wipe any which occur quickly and thoroughly. Remember that a speck of unmelted wax matters because it melts!

The magnetic break-away cord: This is a vulnerable part because it cannot be immersed to clean it and any drips directly on it or from other components (ie. the thermostat) can seep inside it and compromise the connection inside. Keep it wiped and protected from drips.

The problems being reported in this thread are all due to wax accumulation from leaks, little splatters & drips. Even one drop or wax flake will liquefy and find its way into all kinds of locations on the exterior of the pot. The liquid wax can run down into the area where it plugs in and from there, into the encased heating element.

I am fanatic about wiping the exterior of my Prestos often during use and when I finish with them while they are still warm. I do not designate pots for different wax types - they've all melted palm & soy waxes. What matters is MAINTENANCE.

REMEMBER EVERYONE: Prestos were not manufactured to melt wax! They are supposed to be used for home cooking. They were not designed to be used for hours and hours on a daily basis, as with a commercial kitchen appliance. They were not meant to be drilled and have a spigot installed. Having said that, they are very simple appliances which will give years and years of hard service beyond their design if they have careful maintenance. HTH :smiley2: