To Lid or not to Lid... that is the question

Do you find that your customers prefer/more likely to purchase candles with or without lids?

I ask because it seems the higher end candles come in a box and the jar has no lid.

But then in stores candles are sold with lids.

I am trying to put my dollar to the most use packaging use and I like the look of a plain jar, no lid, in a box with a ribbon BUT if customers have an aversion to not having a lid I would rethink this.

If I went no lid, would you recommend some other sort of cover other than the box or I'm good?

Thanks for any tips!!

I perfer lids for my candles personally so thats how I sell them. I feel it keeps the sent in the candles for the customer and when you put out the candle, the smoke from the wick is kept in the jar. Plus when the customer opens the jar the cold sent is strong and they get a good smell of what the candle smells like when burning. JMO...lol

Lid. People pick-up a candle, take off the lid, smell, put the lid back on, pick-up another candle and on and on. My customers didn't like fitments (plastic thingies that fit into the jar) or the screw on lid but liked the lug type of lid. The salsa jar has been a great container that looks upscale enough but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I buy in large enough quantities to get free shipping and try to keep my cost down to 50 cents a jar. I used to use the Crisa tumbler until they stopped offereing the metal lid and until they sold out to Libbey. Jars are the centerpiece of your candle formula. A good jar makes it easy to wick. Pick straight sided containers that are about as wide as they are tall and stay away from all the other containers. In the long run, customers have got to smell that candle before they make a decision to buy. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Thank you both so much! I guess I got sucked in by the marketing ploys of the high end sellers with their fancy boxes (that probably get tossed) and no lids LOL :rolleyes2

What you say Steve makes perfect sense. I guess it is part of the whole experience to a customer of "unleashing" the scent for each candle and tucking it away again.

Regarding the lug lids vs screw on. Aren't the lug lids sort of a twist on right? I have been eyeing salsa jars so I am glad you said that.

I previously sold only apothecary jars but as you said -- easy wicking is important and well, not so much with apothecary jars for me!

Thanks again! :yay:

Right. They twist on and off. People have little patience with packaging and I never dreamed they couldn't figure out to pull the lid off or to unscrew the lid, lol. The 12 0z salsa holds 8 oz of wax but they difficult to find and the 16 oz holds 12 oz but is less square and more like a mayonaisse jar to me. I use both. HTH

Steve

Yes that does help Steve, thank you and I appreciate it!

I am at a point right now where I want to keep my costs down while I rebuild my business (I moved from FL to IN was on hiatus and now starting over). I have been trying to find a happy medium, with functional easy wicking jars and still have nice unique packaging. The "look" can make the sale. Sigh... I'm not sure I actually get anywhere, as I just keep debating with myself! LOL

and when you put out the candle, the smoke from the wick is kept in the jar.

My customers also seem to prefer lidded jars, however if you dip your wick into the melt pool you will avoid any smoke from the wick, prime it for the next burn and also not destroy the scent in the room that you have just spent the last x hours getting :)

Do you find that your customers prefer/more likely to purchase candles with or without lids?

I ask because it seems the higher end candles come in a box and the jar has no lid.

But then in stores candles are sold with lids.

I am trying to put my dollar to the most use packaging use and I like the look of a plain jar, no lid, in a box with a ribbon BUT if customers have an aversion to not having a lid I would rethink this.

If I went no lid, would you recommend some other sort of cover other than the box or I'm good?

Thanks for any tips!!

In a nearby city there is a UPS/postal station, where people ship and mail things and also rent mailboxes. It's got a lot of traffic all day long. They keep hand-poured Libby heart dish candles, wrapped tight in cello bags with a metallic bow, lined up on their counter, in all different colors and scents, and they sell like hotcakes for $16.95 each. It's a nice gift to ship to someone, if that's what the customer came in there to do, or a nice treat to buy and take home. Their customers have enough money that they don't mind paying extra to do their mailing/shipping from the UPS/postal station, so they don't mind spending money on a candle. They sniff the cello bags and you can just barely smell the scent through the neck of the bag, so they buy them even though they can't open the bag for a good sniff.

Funny thing about lids on candle jars. When I'm out shopping, I always manage to find my way to the candle section. LOL I'm always drawn directly to the lidded jars. And I will only buy one with a lid. I don't know why. I just prefer them with lids. However... once I get the jar home and light it... the lid rarely, if ever, gets put back on.

I know..... weird. ::: shrug ::::

Jo

Funny thing about lids on candle jars. When I'm out shopping, I always manage to find my way to the candle section. LOL I'm always drawn directly to the lidded jars. And I will only buy one with a lid. I don't know why. I just prefer them with lids. However... once I get the jar home and light it... the lid rarely, if ever, gets put back on.

I know..... weird. ::: shrug ::::

Jo

Hahaha... that is me EXACTLY.

Now that I make candles and sell them regularly at our local farmers market, I HAVE to have lids on my candles for my own sanity. Otherwise, the blend of smells truly makes me gag (not exaggerating). I sell all my maxi and tea lights in Ikea drawer sorters, and I'd store them all together without sealing up each individual scent to save time in setup and breakdown. When I'd pull out my displays to set up, my stomach would do flips because the smell was so overwhelming, lol.

post-11807-139458484755_thumb.jpg

Eventually I found Rubbermaid-style containers that fit each of the compartments and that has made all the difference for me. It might take a bit of character away from the display, but I am much happier now.

Hahaha... that is me EXACTLY.

Now that I make candles and sell them regularly at our local farmers market, I HAVE to have lids on my candles for my own sanity. Otherwise, the blend of smells truly makes me gag (not exaggerating). I sell all my maxi and tea lights in Ikea drawer sorters, and I'd store them all together without sealing up each individual scent to save time in setup and breakdown. When I'd pull out my displays to set up, my stomach would do flips because the smell was so overwhelming, lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22304[/ATTACH]

Eventually I found Rubbermaid-style containers that fit each of the compartments and that has made all the difference for me. It might take a bit of character away from the display, but I am much happier now.

Your display is so cute! What is that? boxes lined with sweaters or what? lol How do you keep it clean? Do you have to wash the knitted sweater part?

Thanks! This is what I'm using:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80107974

They never showed grubbiness for the times I used them, but when I found the rubbermaid containers and removed all the maxis and teas from the sorter, they stank! I had to wash them twice to get the smell out.

Those are so neat! If I used them they would get filthy and full of dog hair in no time. :(

Right. They twist on and off. People have little patience with packaging and I never dreamed they couldn't figure out to pull the lid off or to unscrew the lid, lol. The 12 0z salsa holds 8 oz of wax but they difficult to find and the 16 oz holds 12 oz but is less square and more like a mayonaisse jar to me. I use both. HTH

Steve

lol, one of my biggest pet peeves on earth is people who pick up a candle and sniff around the edges without removing the lid. I just want to knock the thing out of their hands. About the only thing that makes me crazier is those who stand and stare and look and stare and look, but never even pick one up. They stand and just gawk at the things for the longest time. I really have to wonder what they think they'll see.

BOO!

I think I prefer lidded jars when I'm shopping too because I like to take the lid off, smell the candles, and see how well its made, if the wick is centered, etc. Thats the customer side of me.

For the seller side of me its also lidded jars. I also use the lug lid salsa jar combo. One twist of the lid is all my customer needs to get to the candle and smell it. That sells! Plus I also do craft shows and markets every weekend. All that packing, unpacking, repacking, the candles take quite a beating so candle boxes are unpractical. They can get dirty, scratches, dented, torn, and there are expensive! Lids are cheaper, last longer, keep the candle scent in, and keep the candle top clean, free of dust and litter, and make the candle easy to pack, unpack, and transport. Best of all, they look nice.

Edited by Candybee