HELP- new oils separating from wax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't the first time that I've seen others post what great fo results they got and ordered them, only to find they wouldn't work for me. I would still contact the distributor to discuss the problem and ask him what kind of wax (veggie/paraffin) were these tested/formulated for. Who does the blending of these fos and how much have they been diluted. I have quite a few useless oils that will never be anything but an example of my sheep mentality. ALWAYS get 1 oz testers to save yourself the headaches and loss of money. Maybe I'll follow that same advice; until the next good deal comes along.

Steve

This isn't the first time that I've seen others post what great fo results they got and ordered them, only to find they wouldn't work for me. I would still contact the distributor to discuss the problem and ask him what kind of wax (veggie/paraffin) were these tested/formulated for. Who does the blending of these fos and how much have they been diluted. I have quite a few useless oils that will never be anything but an example of my sheep mentality. ALWAYS get 1 oz testers to save yourself the headaches and loss of money. Maybe I'll follow that same advice; until the next good deal comes along.

Steve

I had originally ordered the sample pack, but was out of wax. Meanwhile, I jumped on the bandwagon, after seeing so many success stories with these oils, and ordered pound bottles. Then, my wax came, and I discovered the oil wasn't cuttin' the mustard! So, the owner told me just to return the the order of pounds, which I did yesterday. Lesson learned!

Edited by dianad
add

Forgot to mention that there was sediment at the bottom of the sample bottle of Maple Crunch and in the bottom of pour pot. Yes, I had shook it before using, but it must have settled out quickly. Also specks of sediment in the tarts themselves. Kind of like specks of cinnamon? Don't know what that means, but it was nasty looking.

ChrisR and HorsescentS: I was just thinking about you two. The last thing I wanted this morning was a mess, but that's what I got! I added the Sugar Cookie into the melt pot, kept the temp at 185-188, stirred, stirred, stirred, STIRRED, AND STIRRED some more - for 5 minutes (HorsescentS, you'd be proud of me!), poured the tarts. Just took them out, and spent the last half hour, wiping off each individual little heart tart, then wiping out all the mold pans. That's it! I'm done! Back to what works for me.

Thanks to all for helping!

Wow! I am PROUD of you! Great stirring! Soooooo, it still didn't work? Then ChrisR must be right, it's those particular oils that are no bueno. :( Or....maybe a bad batch of wax?

Edited by HorsescentS

I use a whisk all the time on heavy oils. I even invested in an electric whisk because after breaking my wrist I don't seem to be able to whisk for 2 minutes. Best $20 investment I ever made.

That's something I've never heard of, but would love to buy. Where can I find an electric whisk that won't whip too much air into the paraffin wax? What brand is it?

I agree with what ChrisR has written about this issue! Mixing oils into wax should not be such a difficult matter to require 6 pages of discussion! Gentle stirring with a whisk works fine. If you have to take a break in that 2 minute process, that's okay. The problem here is not the amount of blending - it is the (poor) quality of the oil. It absolutely should not take this amount of effort for an oil to mix with wax. I'd have made my complaint, returned them for credit if possible and moved on to a better quality product by now. There are just too many sources of fragrance oils that DO blend easily to waste time on ones that don't.

Edited by Stella1952

I hate to tell you all, but ChrisR is right. She may not have the highest post count and she may not be the biggest babbling fool, but she knows what she's talking about. When she speaks, you can take it to the bank.

Making candles is not rocket science and it's not that damned hard. Something so many are overlooking is this is a NEW company. All the raves are really meaningless.

Steve

AMEN!!!!!

Wouldn't an electric whisk put too much air (bubbles) in the wax and cause it's own set of problems?

It does create some bubbles but I let it sit for about a minute after I mix and most of them go away. If there are any left they are right on top and I skim them off. Just a way to save my wrist.

That's something I've never heard of, but would love to buy. Where can I find an electric whisk that won't whip too much air into the paraffin wax? What brand is it?

I got the kind that has the different attachments I think it is a hamilton beach. Plastic handle but the whisk is stainless steel. Make sure you get the one with 2 speeds and use the low speed. I messed up the first time and bought a high dollar one that only had 1 speed, HIGH. I had wax everywhere. It does create bubbles but jut let it sit for about a minute and you can skim those off with a spoon. I got mine at Walmart.

I got the kind that has the different attachments I think it is a hamilton beach. Plastic handle but the whisk is stainless steel. Make sure you get the one with 2 speeds and use the low speed. I messed up the first time and bought a high dollar one that only had 1 speed, HIGH. I had wax everywhere. It does create bubbles but jut let it sit for about a minute and you can skim those off with a spoon. I got mine at Walmart.

Thanks! I'll try that.