Question about double-wicking containers

For those of you who double wick, how do you hold your wicks in place? I am having an issue with the 2 sticks rubber banded on the ends. When I put the jars in the oven to heat them, the bands melt & break. Is there a such thing as a double wick holder tool thingy???

I use those bowtie wick holders. I know BCN has them and I have seen them other places. They are metal and made for single and double wicks. They are a little more expensive but sooo worth not having a headache!

I heat my jars and slow cool in a covered box. I rarely have wet spots but that is how my wax behaves. Really heavy fos with spice or vanilla may occasionally develop wet spots but not if I make sure and keep my temps regulated. It is not a big deal for me. If I double wick here's what I do: take a large craft stick (wally world) drill two holes in the center of the stick and bring my wick up and through and then clip with those black metal spring clips you use for paper. Dollar Tree has assorted sizes or wally world and they are cheap and keep the wick tight. I like to wick close together with the assemblies almost touching. HTH

Steve

We double-wick and use a homemade system that works for us. Take a ballpoint pen apart; use only the pen barrel. The wick goes up the barrel. we put a dab of hotglue on the wick tab and set the wick in the jar while holding the pen barrel and the top of the wick. We made "H" shaped wick holders using I think six popsickle sticks per holder. The sticks are hotglued together leaving two holes that the wicks stick out of when the wax is poured. We clip the wicks tight against the wick holders with clothes pins. Hope I discribed all of this well. Works well for us. Got the idea from an IGCA conference in CT a long time ago.

I made my wick holders by using popsicle sticks. I drill the holes where I want them and no need to buy the fancy ones. I also cut and glue sticks together so they line up perfectly center in the jars. Its amazing what a hot glue gun, a drill and fine tooth saw can do for candle making. I also use the plastic pipette's to set my wicks. I cut the narrow bottom and the top for short or tall wicks. This way to hold the smaller wicks you just squeeze the pipette to hold.

Edited by Abigtroutt

We...use a homemade system that works for us. Take a ballpoint pen apart; use only the pen barrel. The wick goes up the barrel. we put a dab of hotglue on the wick tab and set the wick in the jar while holding the pen barrel and the top of the wick.

Same here except I use high temp silicone rubber gasket sealer. A tiny dab is all that's needed for a hold that doesn't let go, even at the bottom of the container plus it seals the wick so that it will not suck wax from underneath. Hot glue worked okay for me, but it will soften at high end-of-candle temps and allow the wick to keep on sucking, defeating the purpose of the self-extinguishing features of wicktabs.

I like my bow-ties because, with a few twists (which helps self-trimming wicks to burn in a circle rather than to one side), the wick is securely held under a little tension, not just taut as with a bar-type or popcicle stick holder. They also stay centered very well using this method. I don't double wick, so I have never used bowties for that purpose.

Same here except I use high temp silicone rubber gasket sealer. A tiny dab is all that's needed for a hold that doesn't let go, even at the bottom of the container plus it seals the wick so that it will not suck wax from underneath. Hot glue worked okay for me, but it will soften at high end-of-candle temps and allow the wick to keep on sucking, defeating the purpose of the self-extinguishing features of wicktabs.

I like my bow-ties because, with a few twists (which helps self-trimming wicks to burn in a circle rather than to one side), the wick is securely held under a little tension, not just taut as with a bar-type or popcicle stick holder. They also stay centered very well using this method. I don't double wick, so I have never used bowties for that purpose.

I tried the hot glue, when I poured the wax in, the glue softened and the wick detached from the bottom of the container.

Wait, so with the HTP wicks, if I twist them a few times they will not burn to one side like I am experiencing with my latest tester???

I dunno what HTP wicks do - I use CDs & CDNs. Only a few partial revolutions are needed - not trying to twist the wick back on itself - just a gentle spiral.

Try the Permatex high-temp silicone gasket sealer (red) - available from auto parts places everywhere. Only a dab right over the wick hole under the tab is plenty. If you use too much, it is difficult to remove the wick tab when the candle is spent. I use HOT water, then a single-edge razor blade to get them off. Only downside is you have to wait for it to harden - generally a couple of hours or overnight. This doesn't bother me at all because I typically sit in front of the TV and have a "wick-a-thon" which keeps me busy for several days of pouring. HTH

Wick stickers were the second-to-worst product I've tested. The only one that did a worse job at holding wicktabs in place AND preventing wax from sucking under the bottom of the wicktab, were glue-dots. Every time I have tested a type of the adhesive-backed foam type wick-stickers over the years a large number of them failed at the end of the candle when the wax was liquid and hot. They either softened and allowed the capillary action to continue or they let go and allowed the wick to wander.

Wick stickers were the second-to-worst product I've tested. The only one that did a worse job at holding wicktabs in place AND preventing wax from sucking under the bottom of the wicktab, were glue-dots. Every time I have tested a type of the adhesive-backed foam type wick-stickers over the years a large number of them failed at the end of the candle when the wax was liquid and hot. They either softened and allowed the capillary action to continue or they let go and allowed the wick to wander.

Hmm... glue dots, have not tried these yet...

You're right about that. I got down to the end of a candle I bought from a candle shop, and the melt pool was 1 inch deep, and I was using tweezers to straighten the wick when I noticed the wick was sliding along the bottom of the jar and I could see the wick tab was soft, and I could slide both wicks all over the bottom of the jar.

I like to wick close together with the assemblies almost touching. HTH

Steve

I'm glad you mentioned that because I've been wondering why some chandlers double- or triple-wick with the wick assemblies touching, and why some space the wicks apart evenly. I don't understand the pros and cons of either of those methods, and I've seen comments like, "Make sure the wick assemblies are touching, that's the proper way to do it," but with no explanation of why.

I use mini blinds cut up. You can make any size you want and I hole punch where I want my wicks (Single, double, etc.) You can get 1000's off one mini blind and works like a champ! Throw em away when they get messy.

Awesome! My dogs tore up a couple of my mini blinds and I can use them. So, do you use the black metal clips from the office supply store to clip the wicks to the blind? How big are your holes?

I sit them on top of the jar and use a hole punch my wicks dont go anywhere. They are not tight but works perfect for me. I use a regular hole puncher and just leave about an inch on each side of the jar to balance it. Works like a champ and you can get 1000's off of one blind!

I sit them on top of the jar and use a hole punch my wicks dont go anywhere. They are not tight but works perfect for me. I use a regular hole puncher and just leave about an inch on each side of the jar to balance it. Works like a champ and you can get 1000's off of one blind!

That is great! Do you use zincs? I thought most other kinds of wicks have to be tightened and clamped into position because they don't have a zinc core. Would that work with HTP or CD wicks?