Putting candles under broiler to get a smooth top

Did it. The oven does smell nice. The tops did smooth out, however I now have more spots of "shrinkage" on the container. I had trimmed the wicks to about 1 inch in case they did turn brown I could trim them again if needed. Did not have to - wicks were fine. I have a hi & lo setting for my broiler (go figure) so I had them under the Lo broiler for about 3 mins. Don't know if I would do it again or suggest to others only because I now have those areas were the wax was once adhered to the container and now it is not.

This is part of my standard production process. My production wax is IGI4627. I have not had wet spots produced by using the broiler to melt the tops in the two years I have been doing this. One needs to carefully work out how far from the broiler element and for how long but I set the jars tops 4" below the element and for the first "batch" set the automatic timer on the oven for 4 minutes. I set the automatic timer on the oven for 3 minutes for each subsequent batch.. I use the automatic timer so that there is no possibility of me forgetting and having a fiery disaster.

The owner of a successful candle shop told me she always put her candles under the broiler to perfect the tops, so I've been doing it too since I made my first batch. It works great! I was using 6006, like the candle shop owner, but am switching to IGI 4627. I trim my wicks to 1/2" and pull the extra wax off with my fingernails so it won't leave white wax on the tops, but I was putting my jar tops pretty close to the broiler coils and lining them up so the coils were centered over each row of jars. I just read the post above this one about putting the jar tops 4" from the broiler coils, so I'm going to try that next time and maybe I won't have to scrape the extra wax off the wicks. I've been using the broiler coils in the center of the oven, since the ones on the sides take longer to melt the wax because they're not as hot.

• 2 weeks later...
JMO, never but a candle in an oven on broil. A heat gun works just fine and takes a second.

If you squat there and stare at them the entire time they're under the broiler, you slide them out of the oven the second the tops liquify. But, I see your point, if someone wasn't paying attention they could all reach the flash point and ignite.