What can I use in place of Palm Oil?

lsbennis

I'm out of Palm Oil and I want to make soap this weekend but I will never get the Palm Oil in time if I order it today. I'm going to do a little research on the internet but if anyone knows of a good alternative that I can get local that would be great. Thanks for any thoughts :smiley2:

Great, thanks

@micayla75...I have lard here at home, was hoping that wasn't the alternative, as I have used it before and the smell grossed me out...lol...but if I have to I will give it a go again.

@Iwantitgreen...Thanks, that is a good option, I don't have any but walmart is only a few minutes from my house. I did order the palm oil from Camden Grey but it won't be here until next week.

I'm going to put both of those options in the soap calc and see what it says. Thanks again...;)

The lard I have used doesn't have a real smell to it

I use the Armour Star lard and it definitely has a "piggy" smell to it, although it's not overwhelming or enough to make me spew. I haven't noticed the odor in the final product, although perhaps someone with a keener sense of smell than mine would be able to detect it.

Have you tried to re-render or 'wash' the lard to remove the resistant smell? Just melt it in a large pan of water with some salt. Simmer gently for a few minutes. Chill it. Remove the white disk of cleaned lard that hardens. Repeat if necessary.

I use the Armour Star lard and it definitely has a "piggy" smell to it, although it's not overwhelming or enough to make me spew. I haven't noticed the odor in the final product, although perhaps someone with a keener sense of smell than mine would be able to detect it.

lol...ok I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way. The lard I used is good until next year so I don't think that was rancid but I think because I use it in HP that I really smell it when it heats up...:tongue2:

I haven't noticed the odor in the final product, although perhaps someone with a keener sense of smell than mine would be able to detect it.

I have noticed it. I am one with a keen nose and there are many out there who will notice it too. I thought a keen nose was uncommon. I have found that it is far more common than we realize. LOL!

Have you tried to re-render or 'wash' the lard to remove the resistant smell?
Nope. And there's very little chance that I will 'cause I'm too dang lazy to do that. So I'll just put up with the smell... To me, it doesn't last long especially when one uses a nice fragrance with it. My favorite formula using lard is called LardButt... crude, but catchy...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong... If you want something similar to palm oil, what about checking with the SoapCalculator? Click on palm oil and see what the values are (bubbly/creamy/iodine/cleansing, etc); then choose a different oil and see which one has values similar to the palm oil.

Would this be a good way to get around the lack of palm oil? If not, please explain why. I'm very new at soap-making myself and welcome more experienced people's input; thanks!

Walmart sells coconut oil then I would add olive oil, shea butter and caster.

Besides the Palm Oil , I also use coconut, olive, sunflower, shea and castor in my mix so I went to Walmart and got the New Crisco soy/palm, I found it on the soap calc and when I put it in place of the Palm it really didn't change the numbers that much so I made a batch of it. Will see how it turns out, meanwhile the palm should be here early this week. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.:smiley2: