Ever have a batch you just feel is cursed???

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT! I came home from work today and decided to pour a candle for my friend for her birthday tomorrow. Purple is her favorite color and Island Nectar is the only scent I have that she would like AND could be associated with purple. So I weigh out my wax, enough for 2 candles. I only have 1 oz of the FO. It's just enough for 2 of my 9 oz hex jars. Well, I do everything to prep and after I poured them, I went to put the wick of the first one through my little 2 skewers rubber banded together and I guess I heated the jars too much or the oil was too hot, because the friggen wick came disattached from the bottom of the jar! I manuever it back in place with another skewer, it sticks, I go to pull the wick a little snug and the friggen wick came out of the tab!!! ARE YOU SHITTING ME RIGHT NOW??? I fish the dang tab out and grab a new tabbed wick. I try to put a little glue on the tab and stick it through the wax. Yea right, just in case anyone was wondering, it doesn't work. I fought with that friggen thing until I finally got it centered, let the wax cool enough to hold it in place and then centered the wick and pulled it as snug as I could, without pulling it out again.

Second candle looks great! Except for the damn air bubbles at the top of each corner!!! :sad2::sad2::sad2:

I am so bummed. I have no choice but to give her the one with the air bubbles.

Edited by jluper7297

I have had cursed batches. It was so awful; it was a manufacturer issue, but the product was produced en masse for a fundraiser, and oops...we accidentally shipped a batch that didn't get QC tested here until after I shipped to the client. BIG MISTAKE; I religiously test now. I made good with everyone in the fundraiser, and the mfgr. made good with me, but it still sucked so bad to have to call ahead and say, hey...I just sent you a pile of poop...please return. Humbling? Yes. Humiliating? Yes. My fault? Completely. Even though I got a bad batch of FO, it was still up to me to make sure it all worked, and I (in haste and naivete) didn't test the familiar oil; I had used it for over a year...but this batch of FO was faulty. My supplier was an amazing help; I returned the bad FO to her, upon which she ran extensive testing with similar results to what I found, and took care of that end, but you can't buy back a sullied reputation. It was a MAJOR learning experience. HTH!

I noticed the air bubbles before the wax even set. I tried tapping, poking.. everything but tilting the candle because I didn't want wax residue up higher on the glass than the top of the candle. I did hit the top with the heat gun because I accidentally moved the wick and needed to fix the little divot. Still bubbles :'(

I have started using one of those medicine syringes for that. I have bubble problems on the top of the hex jars too. I suction the bubbles out with an eye dropper thingy that I had from the kids' medicine. It worked. Talk about weird uses for things...

As for the batches being cursed, nope. But I think I am quite frequently. I'm covered in wax, scent and paint today. It was one of those days that my husband got to cook because I think I would have burnt cold cereal...

I have cursed batches too, I swear that my 11 month old has a sixth sense when I'm about to start making candles. All I have to do is touch my pour pot and Charlotte will wake from a dead sleep and cry and scream her heart out until someone(usually me) picks her up.

"I think I would have burnt cold cereal..."- I had a day like that this last week, all 4 of my kids were up in the middle of the night and didn't go back to sleep till almost dawn, I didn't get back to sleep and my day started craptastic and just got worse. I love the way you put that.

Edited by bearmnt