Dried Herbs/ Flowers in M&P Soap

jackbenimble

This question has been asked and answered before but I have a new spin on it.

Do dried lemon/ orange peels turn brown in M&P Soap? Also I know dried rose petals and lavender petals turn brown when put in mp soap but if you just sprinkle them on the top of the soap so that it just sticks to the top. Is that possible? Thanks for any suggestions or advice! :smiley2:

I've used fresh lemon zest in my M&P. It came out very nice and didn't discolor. But I got tired of zesting as I usually make several lbs of soap at a time and its time consuming. I didn't care for powdered lemon either. Haven't tried orange peel. Have tried pumpkin flakes and they did discolor the soap to a medium tan/brown.

Haven't tried putting flower petals in my soap. Don't see the point. They do look nice sprinkled on the top thou but you have to think about things you put in the soap will go down the drain when you wash with it. Seen some picks with flower petals on CP soap that looked nice thou.

Persoanlly I prefer using silk flower petals for making disposable soap petals.

I use the fresh zest too and I've used lemon, lime, and orange zest in my MP soaps. I haven't had any trouble with the zest or soap discoloring. I also use herbal teas and dried flowers like lavender and chamomile. Sometimes the herbal tea discolors the soap and the tea bleeds into the soap, but I like the look and it adds to the scent of the soap, I think.

When I use the herbs or the flowers, I will mix it in with the soap. I like the suspension soap from WSP, it will suspend the herbs, tea or flowers, so it doesn't sink to the bottom or float to the top of the soap.

Edited by PAgirl89

I use the fresh zest too and I've used lemon, lime, and orange zest in my MP soaps. I haven't had any trouble with the zest or soap discoloring. I also use herbal teas and dried flowers like lavender and chamomile. Sometimes the herbal tea discolors the soap and the tea bleeds into the soap, but I like the look and it adds to the scent of the soap, I think.

When I use the herbs or the flowers, I will mix it in with the soap. I like the suspension soap from WSP, it will suspend the herbs, tea or flowers, so it doesn't sink to the bottom or float to the top of the soap.

How do you keep your lavender buds from turning brown?

post-12619-139458483059_thumb.jpg

The lavender soap has dried lavender and lavender scent added to it. The orange mango has mandarin orange herbal tea, mango scent and orange soap dye added to it.

How do you keep your lavender buds from turning brown?

I don't. The herbal tea and the herbs turned brown/black and bleed. The fresh fruit zest that I add haven't given me any issues like that, but I don't add a whole lot either and I mix it into the soap, so many times the zest isn't obvious unless the bar is cut in half and the inside of the bar is seen.

post-12619-139458483035_thumb.jpg

They look amazing but now I'm really confused because I've read threads and looked at the soap-queen vids on YouTube and she talks about and shows the lavender buds turning a nasty brown. I'm using mp soap so maybe in CP soap it does not do that.

Edited by jackbenimble

I use lavender buds, but grind them first, so they don't resemble mouse poops. I do more natural looking soaps (no neon colors etc) and the botanicals, even when they discolor, add visual appeal, IMO. On top of the soap, they can eventually discolor, too.

I use lavender buds, but grind them first, so they don't resemble mouse poops. I do more natural looking soaps (no neon colors etc) and the botanicals, even when they discolor, add visual appeal, IMO. On top of the soap, they can eventually discolor, too.

I like the idea of grinding them up first like your doing. How much in advance should I make mp soap that has ground lavender buds in them? And how long does it last before possibly turning brown?

It's not my main product that draws people in, candles are, but I'd like to get more people to buy them even though it is mp and not cp.

In my soap with lemon zest I did get some discoloring. It wasn't bad. It just faded from bright yellow to an orange color. This was in a translucent yellow bar with some FO, althought none of it should have been vanilla.

The great thing about M&P is its usable as soon as the soap has hardened in the mold. There is no need to wait for M&P to cure so you don't need to make lavender soap or any other M&P soap in advance.

I like to sell fresh soap to my customers so I wait to make mine as close to market day as possible. I only make it a day or two early to let it harden for a day or so before labeling and packaging. Then its off to market.