Based on scent throw alone, which one of these would you choose for hot throw

I was wondering, if scent throw was the only characteristic you were testing, which of these waxes would you choose for hot throw--Naturewax C-3, Ecosoya CB 135, GB415, or GB464?

scent throw was the only characteristic you were testing

It would be nice if that was the only consideration, but it just isn't. Cost, shipping, availablilty, stability, appearance, etc. are all part of the picture.

Your best bet is to test all of them and see for yourself. Different strokes for different folks, KWIM?

It would be nice if that was the only consideration, but it just isn't. Cost, shipping, availablilty, stability, appearance, etc. are all part of the picture.

Your best bet is to test all of them and see for yourself. Different strokes for different folks, KWIM?

That might be true but it in reality, it might not be the Original Poster's actual consideration. It was a simple question seeking a simple answer. We all have to start with testing somewhere as most of us can't order 10 different waxes at the same time. OP may simply need a starting point and for them, hot throw is the starting point.

That might be true but it in reality, it might not be the Original Poster's actual consideration. It was a simple question seeking a simple answer. We all have to start with testing somewhere as most of us can't order 10 different waxes at the same time. OP may simply need a starting point and for them, hot throw is the starting point.

Yes, I am going to mix with paraffin so I'm not as concerned about frosting at this point and just wanted to start with the hot throw issue and go from there. Thanks everybody for all your help!

I was wondering, if scent throw was the only characteristic you were testing, which of these waxes would you choose for hot throw--Naturewax C-3, Ecosoya CB 135, GB415, or GB464?

Dayum, I'd kinda like to know what you are making, i.e., pillars, containers, melts.................

Have you ever made anything other than melts?

Amen!

Melt/tart makers need to stay in their own forum. The difference in making tarts and candles is huge. Bug

I understand that the difference between making candles and tarts is huge. However it was a simple question. Give this person some credit for knowing there is more to candle making than hot throw. No one should ever be talked down to on this forum.

If someone needs to be taught, they will ask. If they want a simple opinion, then either give it or don't respond. Don't lecture.

I understand that the difference between making candles and tarts is huge. However it was a simple question. Give this person some credit for knowing there is more to candle making than hot throw. No one should ever be talked down to on this forum.

If someone needs to be taught, they will ask. If they want a simple opinion, then either give it or don't respond. Don't lecture.

Did your feathers get ruffles a little?

Did your feathers get ruffles a little?

PamW, yes they got ruffled. This is a very nice forum and lots of learning and sharing. I didn't see the point of being mean to me or talking down to someone who only makes tarts. We all work hard, we all struggle in this economy, we all put our hearts into our businesses. I found the comment to be very insensitive. So, yes, I found the post inappropriate. I'll live, I'll keep on posting, I'll keep on sharing.

I'm with Pam and Bug. If people who only make tarts insist on posting on all forums, it would be nice if they would always add that little caveat to all their posts. Posting for the sake of posting and wanting people to assume you have knowledge is neither helpful nor sharing. It could actually cause someone to completely waste their time and money.

I am going to mix with paraffin so I'm not as concerned about frosting at this point and just wanted to start with the hot throw issue and go from there.

If you are going to mix your own parasoy, I doubt it will matter. All of the waxes you mentioned have decent hot throw, depending on how you wick them, etc. The hot throw one obtains is not solely dependent on the wax itself.

Thanks for your input, AW, but testing 4 waxes to form one's own opinion really shouldn't be that burdensome, especially in light of the fact that the OP is planning to mix the wax with paraffin. If one has the ability to plan a custom formulation, then I hope that they also have the ability to do their own testing. What makes one think that mixing any of those 4 waxes with paraffin would not change their hot throw properties anyway?

YOU may think it was a simple question, but I didn't think so which is why I gave the reply that I did.

I make container candles with my own blend of paraffin and soy currently and am considering switching to a different soy/veggie wax--always looking to improve product. I also make clamshells but use another formula for them. My original question was with regard to container candles. Didn't mean to cause anyone any problem--was just curious about the hot throw of those 4 particular waxes.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations and input--as always the board is very helpful!

Edited by RWV

I tried mixing gb415 and 464 with j waxes and didn't care for the results (personally), that's why I've stayed with my Clarus wax all these years. The best mix I ever got was with 6006 and 464 at a 85/15 formulation. I know there are people out there who swear by all of these waxes but I have never been able to get a decent h/t out of em. Just saying. Howse business Carole? I suppose you are getting ready for the fall? Haven't heard from you in a while. Happy 4th folks.

Steve

I've only tried CB135 so far (with 4% beeswax) and loved the look of it but was disappointed with the hot throw - I used 1 oz. Beach Linen (from CS), maybe it's just a lighter fragrance or maybe it was underwicked but it didn't seem to throw at all... I've ordered some GB415 and am looking forward to experimenting with that too. I don't think I'll try messing with C3 as we don't have any local suppliers (that I know of) for it. Sorry I don't have any answers or helpful advice, just chiming in... :)