Consfused about Vybar

I've never used Vybar but have seen it mentioned and did a bit of research. Does Vybar make my current fragrance oil load stronger? Based on what I read, it seems it allows the addition of more FO than recommended by the wax mfr. Based on posts I've read, though, it seems that it makes existing loads stronger. In other words, if I currently use 8%, if I add Vybar, will it now throw as though I used 10%?

It helps bind the fragrance to the wax and does improve the wax such as in hardness, increases opacity and inhibits mottling. I believe the answer to your question is no. It allows you to use more scent in the wax and keep it in the candle without the weeping or the mottled look though. I haven't used vybar in ages, but I'm back to experimenting with it.

Edited by Scented

I use Vybar 103 in my pillars and molded candles. Part of it depends on your base wax. I've found some strange reactions if you use too much vybar. So if you are using something that is pre-blended, it might not be the best plan to use vybar with it, regardless of the scent load you are using. If you're using a pre blend, check with the supplier to see if they would recommend, they may send you to the manufacturer to ask instead (but they're pretty good about it as well.) And as you've probably seen over and over on the site, test, test, test, then when you think you're done testing, test some more.

For me, it does increase the scent load I can add. Without vybar or steric, I can put in maybe 3% into the base wax and not have it weep, but that depends on the FO as well. With vybar I can put 6 to 9% depending on the oil and what else is going into the candle (as well as size). Keep in mind, vybar make the wax have a higher melt point, so you may have to adjust wicking and all sorts of other stuff too. Which is the point of the testing.

Depends on the wax you are buying.

Basic paraffin that has no additives will probably hold about 3 to 4 percent. Adding vybar increases that. Wax that is blended to take higher FO loads probably doesn't need vybar.

I haven't used vybar to help increase FO load. 6 to 10 percent is plenty for most consumers. However, sometimes I get a candle construction that seems to be inbetween wick sizes. When that happens, one option for me is to use the upper size wick and add vybar to slow the pool diameter and depth. Not what vybar was invented for, but a good use for me.

• 1 year later...

I'm very curious about vybar as well being extremely new to candle making. We plan to be using soy (container) and eventually palm (pillar) waxes to make our candles and hopefully one day possibly come up with a product good enough to sell.

As far as what we personally want out of a candle, scent throw and retention is #1. Will vybar promote that in soy and palm?

I also read that vybar can make candles more durable for hot weather shipping if we eventually do sell something. Is this true?

I'm very curious about vybar as well being extremely new to candle making. We plan to be using soy (container) and eventually palm (pillar) waxes to make our candles and hopefully one day possibly come up with a product good enough to sell.

As far as what we personally want out of a candle, scent throw and retention is #1. Will vybar promote that in soy and palm?

I also read that vybar can make candles more durable for hot weather shipping if we eventually do sell something. Is this true?

For soy wax I think you would be better off to use USA- universal soy additive

A couple of years ago I did use the vybar for lower melt point waxes in CB 135 and it completely trapped my HT- not to say that it will do that For you ( I may have added to much or did many other things wrong) but USA is soy friendly

I have also used palm stearic acid and it worked a lot like what the vybar does but I personally wanted to stay as pure soy as possible not adding other veggie additives to the mix