Smooth Candles

I can never seem to remove a pillar candle without scratching them somehow. Especially my 9 inch one. Is there a trick to this?

I saw Top's Retro Candle pics in the gallery (absolutely beautiful by the way) and saw how wonderfully smooth they are. I can never do that. What am I doing wrong? I scratch them every darn time.

Any advice?

Are your molds spotlessly clean? It seems to me that there's some sort of imperfection in the mold. Maybe run your finger along the inside and see if you feel anything. The mold might have leftover wax or maybe a small gouge in there somewhere.

after pouring, while the wax and mold are still hot, look closely at the sides of the mold from the wax line to the top of the mold. Did you dribble any wax on the sides...if so, when you pull the finished candle out of the mold, those hardened dribbles will scratch the finish. I most always get some dribbles and wipe them off while the mold is still hot.

If that's not the case, then look for a scratch or ding on the mold itself. If the mold does have a bo-bo, the scratch on the candle would be in the same place each time. HTH

Besides the other advice you got, never rush them. That's not the type of candle that should be sticking in the mold. When it's ready it will drop out. If you have to pull, it may very well scratch.

I agree completely. If I get the least bit impatient and try to "encourage" the pillar out, it'll scratch. You should be able to just turn it upside down and it slide easily.