Thumbs DOWN for BCN

I recently placed an order with BCN for two FO's. One being 8oz, and the other 16oz. They sent me a invoice after I placed my order and everything looked good. Today I come to find out they charged my cc card more than the amt on my receipt and invoice.

I called them to inquire about the discrepancy and was told that the prices on their web site and the totals on our receipts and invoices are only "estimates". The lady I spoke with said that its clearly stated on their web site that all prices marked are just estimates. Well, its NOT very clearly marked obviously because I didnt see any mention of that when I was putting my cc info in and placing my order. Now I could understand if I was ordering a bunch of wax or something that a company might have to get back to you to give you a correct shipping quote but you mean to tell me you cant give me a correct price on a pound and a half of fragrance oil??

Im not thrilled with BCN atm and will start looking into another supplier for the supplies that I used to get through them. I dont want to think I'm paying one price for something only to find out later they charged my card a completely different price. :angry2:

I'd still file a complaint with your card and try to get them to refuse the charge. Since when did BCN start doing that? I haven't missed ordering from them for years apparently. Nobody guesstimate buys. That's ridiculous! Sounds more like I'm PMSing. I think I'll charge $25 today and later having a bunch of chocolate chip cookies and saying, I think I'll just charge this one $12.

I used to work for a trucking company and I work for Financial Services at my current company (code monkey both places). Yes, there are fuel surcharges which often change daily. However, at both companies, once the physical quote is given, the shipping cost is honored regardless of what fuel costs are doing. Quotes were generally good for 30 days unless otherwise stated. Once it's invoiced, that is considered even more binding and the shipping costs would not change. Now, there may have been exceptions, such as the Customer wanted to add additional services such as Lift Gate or Residential Delivery. But, the additional costs are made very clear to the Customer. Or, in the case of the trucking company, what the Customer stated was being picked up and what was actually picked up, were two different things. Again, the Customer was notified and any issues resolved.

I know a couple of places, like The Herbarie and Bayousome do not quote shipping because they try to get the best price. But those sites are clearly marked. I've ordered from BCN several times and I don't remember anything saying that all prices are just estimates. If that is the case, it should state that on the invoice. I would be pretty upset if the invoice I got and the price charged to my credit card were different. An invoice is supposed to be an itemized bill not a guess.

I love your remarks Scented. Kinda like the Chef at a restaurant coming out and saying he is going to have to charge more for that steak because it was difficult to cook or used more ingredients. :cheesy2:

I understand that charges change daily for fuel or whatever, but this should be indicated on the site in a very clear manner. I order from BCN a couple of times a year and this is the first that I have heard of such a thing. Guesstimate shipping should be clearly indicated at checkout. Another supplier does the "guesstimate" shipping, but it is clearly disclosed a couple of times before you actually pay for the order. Is this a new thing from BCN? I have not ordered from them in months, so I have no idea.

this is what's on the policy page - they charged you more for shipping, or the actual oils?

The shopping cart only gives estimated shipping. If the shipping total is $10.00 over the estimated total we will call you to get approval to ship out your order. If under the $10.00 we will just ship the order. If choosing USPS and your order does not fit in that box it will be packaged in the next size USPS box or sent by UPS or FedEX. Paypal orders must wait for a payment request e-mail, and once the request is approved they are shipped. Payment by mail orders ship once we receive payment. Hold for payment orders must be paid with a Money Order or Certified Cashier's Check. Once order is placed we will process and give total with shipping. The order will be packed and held until payment arrives. We can only hold packages for 2 weeks, at which time they will be unpacked and returned to stock. Unclaimed orders will be billed a 15% restocking fee. We are not responsible for any delays due to credit card declines, check declines, or Paypal approvals.

The lady on the phone I spoke with didnt tell me exactly what they were charging me more for, she just reiterated about they have a policy stated on the web that prices are subject to change and just estimates.

After doing my own investigating, seems they charged me more for shipping. On such a small order I would expect them to honor what the posted price is. And as far as their "posted policy" it should be more clearly stated at the time of check out than it apparently is.

Budgeting say, $45 and come to find out days later ..that was actually a $55 purchase is unsettling when you are caught unaware.

Technically, if BCN has this info listed on their policies page, then they are being fair and are disclosing the info. I still do not think this is enough. I think anything pertaining to charging a customer MORE money for shipping should also be posted during checkout. I have seen other suppliers do this. Aside from causing headaches to the supplier with customoer inquiries, the customer is being completely informed during the checkout process.

I'm not saying this is right because it's not. A little shady to me but that's why on my website I have people check a box saying that they understand all my policies before they can push that BUY button (Not that I'm a supplier) but if they choose not to read my policies they still agreed to them. I'm also not changing prices or shipping after the fact. Yes BCN should have it at check out or in plain view on their site. Just My 2 cents. :-)

Lots of places have the little box to check. I just think that as an added customer courtesy, it would be nice to include the potential shipping increase just prior to actual payment. For the supplier, it is reinforcing their policy. For the customer, you are being reminded and are prepared for the possible shipping increase.

Lots of places have the little box to check. I just think that as an added customer courtesy, it would be nice to include the potential shipping increase just prior to actual payment. For the supplier, it is reinforcing their policy. For the customer, you are being reminded and are prepared for the possible shipping increase.

I completely agree! I was not saying that I didn't. Just wanted to say that.

It's typical of BC's crappy website. Nothing new there! It's been crappy for more years than I can count. And yes, Doneen knows and no, she won't do anything about it. People have complained for years and years.

Have always hated their web site and they haven't done anything to improve it over the years. I will have to watch my receipt closer in the future.

I don't think BC has changed their website since 1999, I took a break from candle making a few years back and went to their site again recently and was amazed that nothing has changed, the BCS website either.

April H

It is very surprising that as "big" a company as BCN is, their website is as unfriendly as it is. And I have experienced worsening customer service as well. I used to order 90% or more of my oils from them. Not any more. After having personally dealt with Doneen and the not-so-good customer service, my business has been taken elsewhere....so has a BUNCH of my money!!

I don't buy a lot from BCN just because they really don't have too much that wows me. I buy an oil here and there but honestly I can get just about everything they offer somewhere else. I had a few bad experiences with them that kind of stuck with me. One that really stands out is the "water in the wax" saga. To get a response to "melt it, pour it on a cookie sheet, let it harden and wipe off the water with papertowels... then remelt it all make my candles" .......Are you kidding?? Sorry sweetie, I'm a business I don't have time for that nonsense to be playing around with cookie sheets and jazz. They ended up replacing all the cases after numerous phone calls.

Next was the little chunk mold.... I returned it and went to somewhere else. The lady was like "the size was posted under the item hun". I said I am aware of that, maybe it should have said I need a needle to fill the cavities.lol I had to pay a restocking fee and return shipping, which is fine, I knew that and it was their policy, but was not thrilled.

If it says shipping is an estimate then what can you do? I would just expect a big business like BCN would have the software to give accurate estimates, 1 and a half pounds of FO with packaging should be just a tad over 2lbs.

Edited by funkymonkey66

I totally agree, funkymonkey66. I am not nearly as big as BCN, but I can at least judge shipping. My customers will NEVER pay more than the shipping total my shopping cart provides. In fact, if the shopping cart total is more than actual shipping, my customers get a shipping refund!

I don't think BC has changed their website since 1999, I took a break from candle making a few years back and went to their site again recently and was amazed that nothing has changed, the BCS website either.

April H

There's someone I thought I'd never see again. Welcome back to the wonderful (?) world of candlemaking.

Rich from BCN & BCS here, I am not here to promote or defend, just to make things right with the OP. I would have PM'd but it said that feature was not available to me at this time.

pixie please email me at rich@candlesupply.com and I will make sure this is taken care of to your satisfaction. I will also re-evaluate our current policy on shipping estimates first thing next week.

If anyone has any problems with either BCN or BCS feel free to email me day or night and I will look into it for you.