Frosting and Wet Spots...just kill me now,vent..

I can make a candle burn great and smell great,but they all look like sh*t to me!!!Not the tops,they are beautiful,just the sides.It's so frustrating!!!!!I just needed to vent about this, I apologize.My husband is all "who cares" and "nobody notices that but you" but i can't stand it!Lol!Does this drive others absolutely bonkers as well???I've tried warming the jars,cleaning them,covering them while cooling,cooling them in the oven,pouring at different temps and trying different temps in the room they will set up in and nothing helps!! This is me ---------->*dead horse*

I gave up coloring soy three years ago and have never looked back! I struggled for YEARS (7+) trying to make those suckers look good and finally I gave in to colorless - I just can't justify all the time the color opion brings into my equation and bottom line. If I were making a candle here and there, fine... but when you are are making cases at a time it all adds up profit wise. When you have to start paying someone else to pour, you will really feel it when they are tinkering and waiting for the right "cool temp". My customers embraced it and new customers dig it - so dump the dye! LOL Or you can choose to blend - or use tins and ditch the glass!

I went colorless with my soy candles too. I also found that using the mason jars, I don't get wet spots as much as I do if I use apothecary jars. I get lousy tops sometimes, but that can be fixed with a heat gun. When I do use the color for my etched jars, I don't get wet spots as much as I do the frosting. I kinda like the frosting on the sides, every jar is different and makes them unique. I get more upset and frustrated when I have lousy tops and need to reheat the tops with the heat gun time after time. I get better tops when I pour at cooler temps (below 140), I always have to remember to keep the heat low and watch my thermometer.

Like everyone else, I too eliminated using dyes in my soy candles in 2007 and my customers embraced wholeheartedly. There are a lot of things you can do to really minimize the wet spots such as heating your containers and the temperature in your candle-making area. Now, when you start setting up at fairs/events where the temperature changes are out of your control them you really can't avoid the wet spots. What's interesting is that we are more concerned about the appearance than the customer. I remember when I started making candles I was really anal about the appearance but quickly realized it's all about how well the candle burns as well as scent throw the customer is concerned about. So if you can focus on mastering the burn and scent throw then the appearance of your candles will all align soon.

I If I were making a candle here and there, fine... but when you are are making cases at a time it all adds up profit wise. When you have to start paying someone else to pour, you will really feel it when they are tinkering and waiting for the right "cool temp".

This is so true!! My opinion.....Ditch the dye!!

I have been dye free and happy for about 6 years now!!

I sympathise with you!!! Seems to me you just manage to get around one problem only to cause another to appear =(

I tried everything too, but alas, I've pretty much given up on Soy & I'm going with Palm instead.

I cop the "You're the only one who notices those things, no one will see!" too. But I want to make the best & I want to be proud of what I've done!!

Anyway, Good Luck... I'm sorry you feel so frustrated... happens to us ALL =)

Yep we all get frustrated with this. The wet spots is the main issue I have occasionally. I have found that certain FO's seem to be more prone to wet spots as well. I used to not let any candle with a wet spot go out my door but realized this was going to be a losing battle. So I would say a majority of my candles don't have them but occasionally I get it and try not to let it bother me too much.