Should I just lower my price?

Since my new diet has been working great, I got myself into a craft show for this weekend. I did this show last year and did fairly well, so I decided to do it again. However, this year, I didn't even make my booth fee back. :angry2:

Last year there were no other soap makers there, and this year I found at least 1. I did not have enough time before the show started to walk the whole thing and I did not get any help this time. She really low balled my price and I am finding that more and more that whenever there are other soap makers there I do not do well since they all charge $3 or less for their 4 oz bars.

I take pride in my product and worked hard to make it what it is, but nobody is buying. I sell them for $4 or 4 for $15. I saw in another thread that is what somebody else does too. My bars are also at least 4 oz, sometimes more since I hand cut them.

I'm wondering if maybe I should lower the 4 for price to try to get them to move more. I give out samples, but people either do not come back or when they do, they end up not buying after they see the price. I get lots of people to stop and smell, lots of great comments on the smells too, but no takers.

I can't afford to pay for booths and not at least break even and I will not be able to hold out much longer at this rate either.

Maybe I should start charging 25 cents to sniff :laugh2:

In the long run I'd say its better to NOT low-ball yourself. If they continue to undersell their product they will eventually go out of business, they cant be making a healthy profit. Re-evaluate for sure... double check your prices.. but dont undersell yourself.

How frustrating!! Sometimes you have to wonder at what people charge- I was at a tremendously large show this weekend, this soaper had a double booth with beautiful soaps, texture, great scents... 8oz bars for $5 each!! And... buy more than 1 and there was a nice discount. I have no idea how she did that. Her display was basic but seriously... 8oz bars?? $5??

Your price is not that much more, but you will need to show why your soaps are worth the extra money...It is difficult to price quality items cheaply... quality materials cost more than cheap materials...

LOL I did, however, overhear a shopper say, "Wow, $5 just for a bar of soap??" LOL

Don't give up. I don't think its your price. I sell my 4 ozer's at $4 and 4 for $15 and they sell like crazy. But I had to build my customer base. Since you are just starting out no one knows you yet. I remember my first couple of shows I could barely give stuff away.

I have been doing craft shows for going on 6 years now. I have a customer base built up and I have learned lots about booth and product presentation, labels, scents that sell, etc.

Now I have repeat customers and they are the best ones. They are the ones that look for me from year to year or follow me from show to show. It takes time to build up a good customer base.

Also, if you know you have a good product it shows in how you talk about it and present it. How about you? Do you greet customers with a smile and warm welcome or are you reading a book? I noticed some crafters pay no attention to customers and have fewer sales. Customers want to feel welcome and get excited about products you are excited about.

Something else to always consider, that $3 may be cheap and attractive now to customers but it could be as cheap as the price. Just because its handmade doesn't mean that its a great soap.

I have customers that come to me complaining about the crappy soap they bought last time at the "other soap booth". If you have a good product people will eventually discover it and once you get a customer to try your soap they will become a repeat customer.

In the long run I'd say its better to NOT low-ball yourself. If they continue to undersell their product they will eventually go out of business, they cant be making a healthy profit. Re-evaluate for sure... double check your prices.. but dont undersell yourself.

I agree. $3 for a bar of handmade soap is very cheap. They either use cheap ingredients or are underpricing or are desperate to sell at any price. I don't know any soapmakers whether CP or MP that sell that cheap. Most start out at $5 for 4oz and sell a ton of soap. But the ones that sell a ton make great soap. Good ingredients puts the range in approximately the $4-5 for a 4 oz. Besides putting yourself out of business underpricing can also cheapen a product.

Thanks everybody for your advice. I do greet my customers with a smile. If I happen to be sitting down for a rest, I get up and walk over to them to say hi and ask them how their day is. I start talking to them about the product that they are looking at too.

I wasn't thinking about going too low, I was thinking $4 each or 4 for $14.... so just a little bigger discount if they buy multiples.