Saponfied vs. Hydrogenated

SatinDucky

Ok.. Saponified means it has been reacted with lye. Hydrogenated means it started out as a liquid oil and changed to be a solid. Like hydrogenated soybean oil (crisco) is treated soybean oil. Hopefully someone else has a better explanation.. Man I need to go to bed! lol!

Hydrogenated oil is still the oil - it's been reacted to lose it's double bonds between carbon atoms (some liquid oils have 1, 2 or more double bonds). Makes it more stable, and more solid.

Saponified oils is a really different animal, it's soap. Say you use hydrogentated soybean oil, it's still soybean oil. But if you've got "saponified oils of soybean" (and you used hydrogentated soybean), you're really talking about sodium soyate. Not soybean oil anymore.

crisco is a hydrogenated oil, a process that does change the molecules by using high heats and a metal (usually Nickle). It forms a man-made acid (trans fatty acids). I don't use crisco or other trans fats because of the bad reports they have gotten in the last few yrs. In 2006 foods in the US will have to list their trans fats on the label for food products. I've read a lot of studies about these products for reports in school and they have stated trans fats change the cell membrane's ability to exchange fluids in the body, among tons of other things. Sorry for the long explanation, I did a lot of research on it! I don't do crisco for soaps because I dont want hydrogenated oils on my skin either! I know a lot of people use them, just not my choice of oils!

• 1 month later...

Ok.. adding any oil to M&P for it's soaped value won't work. Adding coconut and PKO to lye in soap will give you bubbles and cleansing. Adding them to M&P they keep the same values they are are out of the bottle or bucket or whatever you get it out of.

No. Not in any way shape or form will adding PKO or coconut or any oil to M&P help the lather. It's going to help moisturize you. If you need more lather out of your M&P, try switching bases or look at other types of additives.