Store Bought Candle

First of all is it a container candle, votive, or a pillar? Is the top oily or the whole candle oily or just an area of the candle? It could be FO seepege, cheap packaging, product overheated during shipping, product came in contact with something greasy or oily during shipping or packing, an additive that leached out of the candle, etc.

A much better pic =)

Just from looks I'd say it's soy?? but it's hard to say really... Is there possibly a sticker on the bottom with the company info? If not do as CandyBee said, go back to the store and talk to them. If they burn ok but just have that oily look I really lean towards the soy thing, if they are "hard" to burn then maybe FO overload?

Yer they burn really well, no tunneling no blowouts a nice even burn, the only the warning label says is basically it will burn for 72 hours. It doesn't list the manufacturer of it. *rethinks* about going Soy over Palm again :undecided

PLEASE do not compare store-bought candles with what you are doing as a newbie to candlemaking.

First, no manufacturer is going to tell you their exact formula. It's a trade secret.

Second, by the time that manufacturer got the contract to sell that candle to the store who sold it to you, they have years of testing - both amateur and probably professional - under their belts.

Third, there is no way of telling the composition of a candle by looking at a photograph. Even in person, ingredients are not that obvious.

We can waste time with lots of guesses, but what can we gain by doing so? To what end? Who cares? Honestly, I don't have the time nor patience to sit around guessing what's in an unknown manufacturer's candle sold halfway around the world!

My best suggestion is to keep your eye on the prize: learning how to make a successful candle of ANY type wax. Let's focus on and direct our combined energies to THAT endeavor.

I have to agree with Stella though I originally thought that one could deduce at least some elements about the composition of a store-bought candle (in my case the ones for Bath & Body Works). After having experimented with my own (wax and wicks) I realize that my ideal candle is not there's (BBW). There are some aspects of their candle I would like to emulate (virtually no hang-up, scent throw) but some others (wick mushrooms) that I would not. In the end I want it to be "my" candle (for better or worse) and not a clone of someone elses.

Where did you buy it? It may give a hint as to what type of wax it is. Like if you got it at Dusk then its probably paraffin. Also I have found that if it doesnt have palm or soy wax written on it (selling point) or it has nothing about the wax type written on the warning then it is probably paraffin. Thats just my experience.

I was buying them from Spotlight, also heading down to the Penguin Markets, and one I think I bought while I was back home in WA, cannot remember where. Although if one was bought in WA while on holidays, it would probably be like King Kong's a $2 shop" albeit that's not what I paid for the candle.