Soy: Color vs No Color and Sales

sbs

For those of you that sell soy candles without color, have you had a number of requests to make a candle with color? Do you or will you honor that request?

I make my candles dye-free. I LOVE the look of it as far as container candles are concerned (I am starting to dye my clamshells). I did a poll on fb of what people prefer, color vs non-color and found out that 9/10 prefer color and said they would walk past a booth that offered naturally colored soy candles. :mad: Now this is not necessairly a poll from my target market (and only 10 people took the poll literally) but I just wanted a general idea of how "some" average people think.

So for those who do not add dye to your candles, have you ever been concerned about these types of people who think no color equals less scent??? Or who just love colored candles because its what they are used to?? What explanation do you give as to why you don't dye your candles? I have no technical explanation, I just love the way it looks. :cheesy2:

I color all my soy candles except the ones that I want white (birthday cake, baby powder, clean cotton etc.) When I first started my mom wanted to not color them thinking it would be easier. I did some research online and found many people that said they tried colorless and they just didn't sell well for them. Granted they were in various areas different from mine, but, I personally thought that colored candles in various shades make the table pop when you're at a craft show. Tables full of white candles just don't stand out imo no matter how you display them. I've never once had a person request me to make them colorless candles and that is something that I do offer on request. I actually offer custom colored candles at the request of the customer (say they want a blue colored pumpkin spice candle). I've had a few, but, most people just go with whatever color the candle is in.

I've often had people comment on how pretty my colors are so take that for whatever that's worth :smiley2:. I guess it comes down to your personal preference and what sells in your area. I suppose you could make some in various colors (if you have the supplies to do so) and see for yourself what sells in your area. Good luck with your show!!!

I color all my soy candles except the ones that I want white (birthday cake, baby powder, clean cotton etc.) When I first started my mom wanted to not color them thinking it would be easier. I did some research online and found many people that said they tried colorless and they just didn't sell well for them. Granted they were in various areas different from mine, but, I personally thought that colored candles in various shades make the table pop when you're at a craft show. Tables full of white candles just don't stand out imo no matter how you display them. I've never once had a person request me to make them colorless candles and that is something that I do offer on request. I actually offer custom colored candles at the request of the customer (say they want a blue colored pumpkin spice candle). I've had a few, but, most people just go with whatever color the candle is in.

I've often had people comment on how pretty my colors are so take that for whatever that's worth :smiley2:. I guess it comes down to your personal preference and what sells in your area. I suppose you could make some in various colors (if you have the supplies to do so) and see for yourself what sells in your area. Good luck with your show!!!

Thanks!! And I'm curious what type of dye you use as far as chips, blocks, liquid...? Gosh I hate that so many people judge a candle by its color.

I do both my jelly jar is uncolored and my other jar and clamshells are colored. Pillars are always colored.

I have not seen much difference in sales. I had a few customers ask why I was not coloring my jj when I brought them back out and I asked them if it bothered them and they said no and went on to buy some.

Mostly I use liquid dyes. There's just a few that I use the dye blocks on and they are all the same color. I just can't get a green I'm happy with in the dyes. Green Apple, Honeydew etc. they either are too light or too dark. I can get the perfect color with the blocks. The liquid dyes are much more cost effective imo.

I don't sell soy candles, but here is my take as a consumer: A colorless candle I would associate with an upscale ("spa" type maybe) candle that would be overly expensive. I would expect that from a niche company that has "earned" the customer base to get away with it. And by "earned" I do not mean it is an exceptional candle, just overly hyped. I think the average consumer wants and expects a colored candle. It can be a decor decision as much as the scent decision. On a side note, I have begun making my soy tarts without color. I think people do not care about the color as long as the scent is good. Also, a big display of hanging packaged white tarts just looks cool to me.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm a no color. My husband was very anti-dropping color but for we did a test at our biggest show and put up our front table display with our top 12 scents in color and no color. At the point that I sold out of no-color, I still had 80% of the colored ones left. I dropped the color the next week and have never looked back. I have only had one complaint that white blueberry was weird and the person's friend told her why she liked it and the white blueberry candle was sold.

There are arguments each way, it is just what works for each of us. The only problem I have with no color is that I have to put a code on the bottom of the jar when I pour or I can't tell what is what after pouring too many rounds in a day. Birthday cake smells like vanilla, apple pie smells like apple butter smells like hillbilly homebrew.

I should add that I changed out of a need to streamline production more. I am way to anal about how the candles look when the leave my hands and the frosting, colors being slightly off from batch to batch or due to the color of the oil drove me nuts. By going natural I no longer obsess about those things.

I think the average consumer wants and expects a colored candle.

See. This is what I don't understand. I think color candles are fine for a paraffin candle but if you're interested in soy shouldn't you understand and almost expect a more "natural" look? I don't know.. it's something for me to think about. That's why I asked the question... Thanks for everyone's input!

Edited by sbs

People equate color and fragrance, where there is an expectation. For example, Green Apple often smells more intensely to people when in a green candle vs a white one even though there may be equal amounts of fragrance in both candles. Red Hot Cinnamon will seem more fragrant in a red hot cinnamon colored candle than a white one. For fragrances where there is no specific color expectation (hawaiian breeze, monkey farts, cotton candy, jamaica me crazy, angel, southern skies, etc.), people do not depend so much on color for their scent perception.

if you're interested in soy shouldn't you understand and almost expect a more "natural" look?
There is nothing natural about soy wax, so give that one up. It isn't greener or more sustainable or any of that greenwashed hype. It doesn't help "the American farmer" any more than it does soy farmers around the world. Cargill, ADM, Golden, etc. are not any nicer guys than Exxon, BP or Shell, etc. Soybean oil for candle wax is not expeller pressed nor grown from organic, non-GMO stock - it's grown from GMO seeds with herbicides, pesticides, and artificial fertilizers in many countries besides the US - Brazil (where rain forests are decimated for mono-cultured soybean fields), Argentina, China, etc. All the beans are sold, processed and refined (China refines most of the world's soybean oil even though it is not the largest producer of soybeans; it is the largest importer). The oil is separated from the rest with hexane. The soybean oil is then super-hydrogenated. It's about as natural as Silly Putty. Palm wax comes closer in the "natural" or "sustainable" department, producing many times more oil from the same weight of raw material and square feet of cultivated soil. It can be expeller pressed and does not require the use of hexane to separate it from its raw material. The only truly natural wax is beeswax, and it's not white unless bleached; not unscented unless deodorized, but it's not vegan 'cause the bees didn't give permission for its use in candles.

Uncolored everything has become popular because people have the perception that uncolored is somehow more "pure" (whatever that means), "natural" and, therefore, more "green." :confused: An uncolored, unscented (or EO scented) candle has a large carbon footprint any which way it's measured. ANY candle has a large carbon footprint! All candles emit carbon particulate matter into the air. Again, beeswax is the least offensive of all in terms of carbon footprint.

There's nothing wrong with offering uncolored, unscented soy candles right alongside dyed and fragranced ones. Certain markets prefer different things. It's wise to offer different products to appeal to different tastes. Aromatherapy is like voodoo to some people, but absolutely enlightened to others.

I offer both colored and uncolored veggie wax candles in scented and unscented varieties. The general public I sell to prefers the colored, scented candles. When I sell to people who are into aromatherapy, environmentalism, and wellness, they prefer the unscented, uncolored or EO fragranced candles. When I sell to artists, they want wildly colored, highly fragranced candles. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, KWIM?

I understand what youre saying stella and have already heard and read plenty about that argument that's why I wrote "natural" in parenthesis but too many people (customers) believe what they have already heard and that is that soy is a more green-friendly, natural product. Not saying it's what I do or don't believe but it's what "they" believe so I can't change that or even try to for that matter.

Also I never go into paraffin being natural or unnatural on my site or in person. I simply state the benefits of soy. I don't say "burns cleaner" but I will say "burns clean". I don't say paraffin "causes cancer" but I will say soy does not release toxic chemicals. I don't bash but I will use certain points that will help sell my product. Almost every website that sells soy has a "why soy?" Section lol... Personally I believe almost everything we have on earth nowadays causes cancer (and other disease for that master)!!! Especially the crap that's in our food but that's a whole nother conversation. :)

And if you wonder why I chose soy, it's because it didn't give me headaches and was much easier to work with imo. Has nothing to do with trying to sell to any particular market or "going green". I am probably the least "green" person you will ever meet. I use paper plates instead of washing dishes and when I'm done with my gum wrapper YEP I throw it out the window. Sad but true.

Edited by sbs

People equate color and fragrance, where there is an expectation. For example, Green Apple often smells more intensely to people when in a green candle vs a white one even though there may be equal amounts of fragrance in both candles. Red Hot Cinnamon will seem more fragrant in a red hot cinnamon colored candle than a white one. For fragrances where there is no specific color expectation (hawaiian breeze, monkey farts, cotton candy, jamaica me crazy, angel, southern skies, etc.), people do not depend so much on color for their scent perception.

Wow.. this is so true. I wish soy colored better cause my red hot cinnamon color usually comes out looking a gross pink color. And green apple? Yeah comes out looking like you don't wanna know... Well I ordered some liquid to see if it colors better than the blocks but I think I'll never be satisfied with the way soy looks in certain colors. sigh...

I think I'll never be satisfied with the way soy looks in certain colors. sigh...

Which is why I pour palm wax, too. :yay: When I want to play with color or need a deep, vibrant hue, I choose palm wax. I like it for certain FOs more than others. Soy is best for bakery fragrances than is palm, but palm works better for citrusy & herbal scents to me.

And if you wonder why I chose soy, it's because it didn't give me headaches and was much easier to work with imo. Has nothing to do with trying to sell to any particular market or "going green".

Despite the "greenwashed" disinformation, I make only veggie wax candles. I just don't promote or buy into the hype on either side of the toxic, green issues. I find soy & palm wax challenging with which to work. It's a matter of preference to me, not a political or environmental issue.

Edited by Stella1952

Which is why I pour palm wax, too. :yay: When I want to play with color or need a deep, vibrant hue, I choose palm wax. I like it for certain FOs more than others. Soy is best for bakery fragrances than is palm, but palm works better for citrusy & herbal scents to me.

Which brings me to another question. Where can I find this palm wax?? I've seen a couple of suppliers discontinue it. I do love the way it looks but have never worked with it and was concerned after seeing CS's explanation of why they don't carry it. I don't want to try it and then can't find it anywhere in the future.

Edited by sbs

Ok I found it at CS.. hmm.. never even checked there. Does this wax come in slab form or is it flakes like soy? I'm thinking about trying some tarts out with the pillar blend... see if it throws any better.

Edited by sbs