cracks in candle embedding photos

I have made around 12 candles, which I have embedded photos on them, however half of them end up getting cracks on one side of the candle. I am following the directions, and I also leave the candles at room temperature for a few hours once I am done. But, when it is cooled ar room temperature, I can't seem to get the candle out (after spraying with Pam before making the candle) So I then place it in the fridge for 5 minutes. When it comes out, some of them have a crack. Is this because I am putting it in the fridge, if only for a few minutes? If I can't put it in the fridge, does anyone have any ideas on how to get the candle out without ruining my candle by putting it in the fridge? I am using a 4" mold.

Any suggestions would be a great help! As these are for Christmas gifts.

Thank you!

I usually let them sit over night on the counter, in a cool basement. Then in the morning I put them in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes and they will then slide out. I also spray my molds with mold release and I use a mold release powder additive too.

Putting them in the fridge for 5 minutes shouldn't make them crack. When my molds feel cold to the touch I set them in the fridge for 15 minutes or so and they slide right out. Try cleaning your molds real well, i.e. upside down in a 170 degree oven for 30 min., wipe throughly, spray with WD40, wipe throughly, then try your Pam and wipe throughly. What wax are you using? A little bit, and I mean a little bit, of micro 180 will help if your wax is brittle.

So you can add a photo or pic to a pillar candle with no problems?? (I mean with the burning of the candle)

As you can tell I'm green when it comes to candles!!

We're talking about embedding a photo in hurricanes. Hmm, at least that was what I had thought. Now reading back on tiffanyjadeds post, she didn't say that specifically. I sure hope she's not putting pictures in pillars that will be burned. :(

I am doing this for my first time, and I am using only parrafin wax, nothing else. It said that the the melting point is 150, but I melt my wax to 190. I am using making hurricanes, not regular pillars. I have never cleaned my mold, maybe that is also my problem. I would only leave it in the fridge for maybe 5 minutes and it would have a crack down the picture, or on the other side of the picture. I am learning as I go along. I should have made these a long time ago, then I wouldn't be so crunched for time. I am also trying to find something practical that I can find at the local Wal Mart or dollar store to put in the bottom of the hurricanes, so the tealight doesn't melt the wax. I have researched a little on here and found that a lot of people suggests cork coasters or disks. I was thinking maybe bristol board, but I think that could be a potential fire hazard.. not sure. I am from Ontario, so I don't have the same selection that the US residents do. I will keep my eye open, though. I will find something eventually. Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I will take some pics and show them when I am done. :tongue2:

If you have a craft store or hardware store nearby check to see if they have small rolls of 1/8" thick cork. In the US they usually only cost a couple of dollars. Use a jar lid as a template an cut out your own cork disks. Or go to a home improvement type store that carries ceramic tiles. They might have some small tiles that you could use. Here I buy them in a sheet of 20 2" tiles. After I have made the hurricane, I melt the wax in the bottom a little bit and set a tile in the melted wax. Then you can set a tea light or votive holder on the tile.

Definitely clean your mold good with WD 40. That will really help. You should pour your wax to 190 to 200 degrees. A tip I got from Donita was to put the picture in your Presto pot or whatever you melt the wax in. This helps get the air bubbles out of the paper. Carefully take the picture out and drop in the mold. Then place the picture against the side of the mold and follow the instructions to the left. Thing they are under Techniques and Ideas. Check the temp of your water bath. It should be 75 to 80 degrees. Let us know how they turn out. Good Luck