So completely lost!

Bernadette

Okay, I posted back in mid February in the Business Forum about my first Scentsy experience, and how my grandson's school was doing a Scenty fundraiser. I purchased a full sized Fossil Fern tart warmer from him and FINALLY got it Thursday. My impressions: the tart warmer is beautiful lit with the cutouts all the way around, but those cutouts let all the heat out.

Some of the scents I use could almost bring tears to your eyes with the CT. When I put them in the Scentsy melter, they melt fine, but no HT at all unless you put your nose over the warmer. Other electric warmers I have with the same wattage bulbs that don't have those cutouts smell wonderful, as well as the tealight warmers I have. Why the difference?:confused: I even have someone else's tarts here that you can smell the minute you open the cupboard door...they are almost "over fragranced"...but you put them in the Scentsy warmer and nothing unless you put your nose right over it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?:tiptoe:

I have an issue with this burner from OBI...it doesn't give a full melt pool with my wax(soy), and I think it is because of the "night light" cut outs. It is SUPER pretty though, and throws an awesome light pattern in the room. I get decent scent throw, but not like I do with the one below, or the bowl style ( my FAVORITE).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=121345507887178&aid=38020#!/photo.php?fbid=175877675767294&set=a.175877619100633.38020.121345507887178&theater

This warmer, however, has small vent/light holes, and throws my wax like crazy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=121345507887178&aid=38020#!/photo.php?fbid=175877689100626&set=a.175877619100633.38020.121345507887178&theater

Both have same bulb set up, but the white one has much more venting and is a smidge taller.

Edited by B@BlissStreet

I have gorgeous warmers from so many companies but this butt ugly crock pot styled warmer that I bought for $1.00 at the flea market is the best one I've ever had...no matter the scent the house is flooded with fragrance...I just think that because of UL requirements we're afraid to use a larger watt bulb...it simply comes down to how hot the wax gets.

I still don't understand how the cold throw can be so strong in my tarts, as well as the other candlemaker's tarts, and be nearly non-existant in the Scentsy warmer. Both tarts melt completely. I came out this morning, and of course they are both hardened again, and they knock your socks off with the throw. And the HT is terrific in every other tart warmer I have - both electric and tealight - so why would this happen? BTW, the bulb in my other warmers is the same size as the Scentsy. True, the other electric warmers are too hot to touch while lit, and must cool down before you can clean the bowl out, and the Scentsy bowl you can touch and pick up while it's lit because of those cutouts all the way around. But still, if the tarts' CT is great, and the tarts melt completely, why is there such a weak HT on the Scentsy? Know what I mean?:confused:

But still, if the tarts' CT is great, and the tarts melt completely, why is there such a weak HT

The temperature to which the wax is melted is the key.

Too hot = poor throw.

Too cool = poor throw.

Just right = great throw.

All melters are not created equal as everyone can attest. All tarts are not created equal. You simply have to find a melter that works well with YOUR tarts. Perhaps the Scentsy tarts work well in Scentsy melters, but that doesn't mean that other tarts will work well in them. It's a system whose components have to be compatible with one another for best results. HTH :)

The temperature to which the wax is melted is the key.

Too hot = poor throw.

Too cool = poor throw.

Just right = great throw.

All melters are not created equal as everyone can attest. All tarts are not created equal. You simply have to find a melter that works well with YOUR tarts. Perhaps the Scentsy tarts work well in Scentsy melters, but that doesn't mean that other tarts will work well in them. It's a system whose components have to be compatible with one another for best results. HTH :)

Thanks, Stella. I kinda understand. Well...I'm going to have to play(test) then because I've had alot of Scentsy customers here smelling my ht on my tart burners and they love them and want to buy them since they smell "el primo" compared to the Scentsy melts. This is a whole untapped market in my area. I think it also has something to do with the size and shape of the melt. Off to play...:tiptoe:

I have gorgeous warmers from so many companies but this butt ugly crock pot styled warmer that I bought for $1.00 at the flea market is the best one I've ever had...no matter the scent the house is flooded with fragrance...I just think that because of UL requirements we're afraid to use a larger watt bulb...it simply comes down to how hot the wax gets.

lol! I totally LOVE the two fugly garage sale crock pot warmers I have! They work with wax, oil, and scented salt! To the point where it can be overwhelming in my house!! Wonder if you can still buy these bad boys anywhere! I'll take these over my scentsy warmer ANY day!!

It's definately about how hot the wax gets. I can touch my scentsy one with no problems, but the crock pot one is hot to touch. No touching that thing! Guess they wouldn't be the safest things in the world, but I always remember to unplug them.

lol! I totally LOVE the two fugly garage sale crock pot warmers I have! They work with wax, oil, and scented salt! To the point where it can be overwhelming in my house!! Wonder if you can still buy these bad boys anywhere! I'll take these over my scentsy warmer ANY day!!

It's definately about how hot the wax gets. I can touch my scentsy one with no problems, but the crock pot one is hot to touch. No touching that thing! Guess they wouldn't be the safest things in the world, but I always remember to unplug them.

Well, you know, I've been looking at alot of places that sell tart warmers and it's not just Scentsy that has those cutouts around them. Lots of the electric ones do now. So I guess I would ask if some of you have those and do you have scent throw problems with them too?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

last night the house was saturated with the scent Roses & Violets...some may remember that I had to rebottle this scent into a 4 oz cobalt blue flip top bottle and it ate the blue off my bottle...ergo do not use on B&B products but pour that oil into wax and kappow...a 3,000' square foot home smells like a cathouse in Reno...lol. But if anyone finds a crockpot burner I'll buy it from you...fugly but fabulous

a co-worker's wife sells scentsy, and i ordered the replacement 15 w bulbs for my (not scentsy) nightlight warmer. they were $1 apiece, so i ordered 2 plus one of their only other bulbs, a 25 w. didn't get them yet, but seeing the watts for the bulbs led me to check 2 of my (many) electric warmers. i have 2 punched tin warmers, filled with holes for the designs, and both work fantastic for my tarts, and any others i have ever used. one is 8in. in diameter and 5in. high & takes a 25w bulb. the other is larger-almost 14in. in diameter & 61/2 in. high and uses a 40w bulb (this one is as large as a revere style candle lantern). so, based on the fact that they sell only 15 & 25 watt replacement bulbs, i am guessing that the largest scentsy burner is using the 25w bulb. so, i tried the 25w bulb in the larger warmer. yeah, it melted, took almost an hour, and there was next to no throw, even letting on for another hour. have to agree with Stella-too cool-poor throw. on the other hand-a friend of mine did get a burner from scentsy, and has tested 2 of my tarts in it. she says they melt fine and smell great! i have been using 3/4 CBL 129 (candlewic) OR 4794 votive with 1/4 415 mixed.

kris

I have been trying like crazy to make melts that work in a scentsy warmer. I purposely picked 2 waxes that when their melt temps were averaged together the melt point would be about 110. I figured that 110 would be close to scentsy's but still no HT. I am pretty sure that most of my potential tart customers will be using scentsy warmers and want my tarts to work well in them. It is very frustrating!!!

Susan

So what is a melt temp that we should be shooting for given that many customers will be using UL approved or scentsy warmers?

If I use wax with a MP of 128 and it goes in a warmer that gets only to 110, I would expect it to not melt at all.

You need to put a 40 watt in a Scentsy warmer and a few with OBI they come 25 watts you need a higher watt for larger ceramic warmers.

But you see, that's the problem. The people I know that want to use tarts other than Scentsy, want to be able to leave the burner turned on continually. With a 40 watt bulb, the burner gets hot afer awhile. It doesn't with the 25 watt. They do admit that the Scentsy melts only last for a few hours though.

It seems to me that that's what made Scentsy grow as fast as they did. Their burners are cute and beautiful for a nightlight, that's safe to leave on for a loooonnnnnggg time, AND you have to buy LOTS of tarts to be able to get continual fragrance. The temp is so low, that even after being lit for hour after hour, you can still pick up the bowl while it's on, empty and insert more tarts. They came up with an idea that's hard to duplicate.:tiptoe:

Edited by Bernadette

My tarts have worked in every warmer I ever used and I have bought lots of different ones over the years. But they don't do well in the Scentsy warmers. The 2 I have from them have a black coating on the bottom of the bowl although my plug in doesn't. The only way they work for me is to use straight FO or with DPG added.

You need to put a 40 watt in a Scentsy warmer and a few with OBI they come 25 watts you need a higher watt for larger ceramic warmers.

I am new to this forum. I have just started making tarts. I have made candles for some time now. I have two scentsy warmers and one that I bought at a fleamarket. I have noticed that my scentsy warmers do not do as well as my fleamarket find. My questions is this. Where do you find a 40 watt bulb? Can I just pick on up at Wal-Mart or do I need to order one? :cheesy2:

All of my customers that have Scentsy warmers use 40 watts with my wax and love it no problems.

alycia22, so how long do they have them turned on? My potential customers leave theirs on continually, but they do not get hot with the 25 watt bulb. Does the bowl get hot using the 40 watt bulb? I know the warmers I have from years gone by are smaller and the 25 watt bulb in those makes the warmer extremely hot after a few hours. They came with warnings not to leave them unattended, and not to leave them on for more than a few hours.:tiptoe:

I don't post very often, but I've been making candles for 10 yrs. I done a show this past weekend. Scentsy was there. Had a customer tell me that the scentsy rep. told her to melt the tart in the microwave for a few seconds before putting it in the warmer. I have never heard of something so crazy. I had a tea light warmer, so I put a tart in it and showed the customer that you do not have to do that with mine. Made a good sell to that customer!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Bernadette You should not leave any warmer on unattended (Not even Scensy) but a lot of people do. Of course the warmer will get hot even the 2 piece warmers get hot but try the halogen warmers they get extremely hot, but if one does leave it on then it should be placed on a candle plate or a trivet. I have no problems with mine and I use palm wax. a 40 watt bulb in a large ceramic warmer is not a big thing. Why would you even pick up a hot bowl of wax??? And every warmer will tell not to leave on unattended. And my customers are not potential customers they buy in my store every day. Sorry don't take me wrong just my opinion.

Edited by alycia22

OK, Bernadette You should not leave any warmer on unattended (Not even Scensy) but a lot of people do. Of course the warmer will get hot even the 2 piece warmers get hot but try the halogen warmers they get extremely hot, but if one does leave it on then it should be placed on a candle plate or a trivet. I have no problems with mine and I use palm wax. a 40 watt bulb in a large ceramic warmer is not a big thing. Why would you even pick up a hot bowl of wax??? And every warmer will tell not to leave on unattended. And my customers are not potential customers they buy in my store every day. Sorry don't take me wrong just my opinion.

I suppose I didn't elaborate enough... I've been making tarts for over 9 years now and have a zillion different types of warmers, both tealight and electric(different wattages). I have tested them under so many different types of conditions. I just recently got a Scentsy warmer because I have a potentially large market here of Scentsy customers that are sick of high prices without long lasting, weak scents(they tell me). They do, however, tell me that because the bowls never get hot, they can pick them up and dump out the liquid wax in the garbage to switch out the scent. Do I know better? Of course! But as a dedicated "seeing is believing" candlemaker, I tried it and they are right. After hours of being turned on, you can pick up the bowl without fear of being burned. I've told them they shouldn't do this, but who are we fooling? Do I know you shouldn't leave any burner on continually? Of course I do. Telling them makes no impact. A 25 watt bulb is used in any nightlight around here, and people leave them on 24/7, 7/wk. I'm sure that's why they do it.

I was just asking about the heat from the 40 watt bulb because I don't have the time right now to take the hour ride to Walmart to get bulbs and try them out to see if they heat up this particular warmer. It's wedding season and every waking moment is filled with making candles for orders.

I guess that's why I prefer the tealight warmers though, more than the electric. A tealight will go out after just so long, whether you forget it or not. Electric is too easy to turn on and forget.:tiptoe: