Does anyone make a...

100% or mostly beeswax container candle? It seems that for the most part everyone on this forum makes either soy, palm or paraffin. Other than the expense, why not beeswax?

Did I mention I'm now obsessed with trying every wax under the sun?

I use beeswax occasionally with EO's.

Sometimes I mix palm and beeswax, sometimes just a container with beeswax only.

The beeswax pulls away from the sides and leaves a block that is only held in place with the wick stickum and gravity. Get used to that.

It hold FO's and EO's nicely, though I've not tried very many FO's.

I have about 10 pounds of yellow here and just ordered some taper candle molds. Looking forward to trying that out.

PS - I, too, am trying every wax that I can find just for fun. I've settled on a few for special purposes, but its fun to try others.

Wanna swap some wax?

Edited by EricofAZ

Funny you should mention lip balm. I have a recipe for lip balm and beeswax and have been experimenting a bit.

I've also been formulating a chamois butt'r type product for long distance bicycle riding and it includes just a smidge of beeswax. (Too much and the wax stays on the skin for days which is not good.)

I'm still experimenting with General Wax brands. I'll be posting again about the 128MP container wax in the next week or so.

I do make a beeswax and soy blend container candle, but I dont add frag.. took me long enough to wick it as it is. And yes- pulls away from the container, but it all does, so no wet spots, the whole thing is a wet spot!! lol:laugh2:

They really are a specialty item, just a couple of customers who favor them.

Shrinking away from the container isn't really the problem. A 100% beeswax container would have to be wicked too high and would make the jar way to hot to handle and could possible shatter the glass. If you are gonna do beeswax in a container, use a tin, but make sure to let your customers know that should not handle the tin while the candle is burning as it would be extremely too hot.

Beeswax does make wonderful votives, pillars, tapers and tea lights though!! :cool2:

If you are gonna do beeswax in a container, use a tin, but make sure to let your customers know that should not handle the tin while the candle is burning as it would be extremely too hot.

Beeswax does make wonderful votives, pillars, tapers and tea lights though!! :cool2:

I agree. I have made candle tins and metal bucket candles with beeswax.

Shrinking away from the container isn't really the problem. A 100% beeswax container would have to be wicked too high and would make the jar way to hot to handle and could possible shatter the glass. If you are gonna do beeswax in a container, use a tin, but make sure to let your customers know that should not handle the tin while the candle is burning as it would be extremely too hot.

this!

I used to have a market booth alongside a soap and candlemaker who made all beeswax container candles. He always had a sample candle burning in one of those 4oz jelly jars. His burned beautifully so I know from personal experience that it can be done. However, his were not all that fragrant. But that could be the from the wicking, or the amount of FO he put in or maybe he used EOs.

Anyway he made them in 4 and 8 oz jars and standard 10 & 16 oz apothecary jars. The apothecary may have been double wicked. I just don't recall paying that much attention as I had my own candles and soap to sell and he was so sweet and good looking to the point of distraction. He did make beautiful candles and bevelled soaps thou.

Another thing to think about is the expense of making all beeswax candles. Have you priced it lately? Unless you have a direct source of cheap beeswax it would be hard to price them competitively with other jar candles.

Edited by Candybee