Walked into Yankee yesterday

sbs

And either their formula changed or my standards. Before making my own candles I was a die-hard Yankee fan.. paying $25 for a large jar, buying 4 at a time I loved them so much. Sparkling Lemon was my favorite.

Yesterday when I went in.. the strength didn't hit me as hard as it usually does and while walking around the store taking sniffs I was surprised at how not strong these candles really are. Sure I could have had candle nose from all of my own candles and FOs at home but it was really like I didn't smell the quality I was looking for.

I wanted to buy a tart to compare it to mine but my husband made me put it back... :tiptoe:

Have you visited your Yankee store lately??

Yes, & you're right. I prefer my handmade soyblend now - except for a few I can't dupe yet...still a sucker for the tarts in Soft Blanket :sad2: , I'm guilty.

It's ok.. Lol.. Fluffy towels smells pretty awesome too with no dupe. Clean cotton, flannel sheets, and Gain laundry don't smell like fluffy towels... Next I'll have to try country clothesline. :smiley2:

I didn't even know there was a Yankee store in our mall until Friday. Found out they have been open since October. lol

I walked around and sniffed a lot, but didn't buy anything. The quality doesn't seem the same to me either. My favorite was their Christmas Cookie. I've yet to find an exact dupe for that!

Mike Kittredge, the original founder of YCC, sold 90% of the company in 1998 , for approximately $500 million to a New York private equity firm, who took the company public in 1999. It was then sold in 2007 to another private equity firm based in Chicago for $1.4 billion.

Mike's son, Mike Kittredge III started a candle company in 2009 called Kringle Candle Company and they set up shop less than 20 miles from YCC.

Poetic justice.

I went to a yankee outlet store at an outlet mall Geneva NY on Seneca lake and was horrified at the garbage in that store. I realise that an outlet store may have lots of rejects that didn't make the cut but I couldn't believe the sales lady telling everyone to smell the cap because all the scent was in the lid...wth???? Ugly tops, air pockets, poor cold throw, all the bad things we fight to fix and every candle I picked up I wouldn't put my company name on.

edited to say - if you are after a good country cothesline, BCS country clothesline!!!! ahhhhhh! so good! a best seller

Edited by tlc26

I went to a yankee outlet store at an outlet mall Geneva NY on Seneca lake and was horrified at the garbage in that store. I realise that an outlet store may have lots of rejects that didn't make the cut but I couldn't believe the sales lady telling everyone to smell the cap because all the scent was in the lid...wth????

I occasionally have people in my store who take off the lid and sniff it instead of sniffing the candle.

Makes me want to slap the candle out of their hands.

I suppose that's better than the nitwits who pick up a candle and sniff it without taking off the lid. Those idiots make my head explode.

Yeah you have to love those people. Pick up the jar, and then take a huge shiff through the glass! Whats up with that? Do they think I use some magic glass that holds the hot liquid wax in, however allows the scent to permiate through the glass for their sniffing pleasure.

When you then say to them, "it's ok to take the lid off", they look at you as though you have 4 heads and say "I can smell it fine"

Ok I guess - what can you do except humour them.......... although sometime a good slap may work wonders :)

I occasionally have people in my store who take off the lid and sniff it instead of sniffing the candle.

Makes me want to slap the candle out of their hands.

I suppose that's better than the nitwits who pick up a candle and sniff it without taking off the lid. Those idiots make my head explode.

Lmao!!:laugh2: That's funny... And everytime I went to Yankee that is the first thing the store clerk would do, stick a cap in my face! As for smelling through a jar?? :confused::confused::confused: Wow never heard of that Lol..

I was in a YCC about a year ago, and I saw a lady doing this; so I decided to try it for myself. For whatever reason, it worked. I could smell more on the inside of the lid, than I smelled from the cold throw of the candle. ?????? Needless to say, I bought nothing.

Ahhh, Yankee! I don't enjoy most of their scents and haven't been in one of their stores in a while. I think the last Yankee thing I bought was a Mango Salsa tart from Kohl's or somewhere like that and it smelled pretty good. But I quit shopping Yankee when the Buttercream started smelling different, not a deep. That was probably around when they sold out-lol.

Why do they want you to smell the lid, I noticed that when I was in a Yank store, the salesperson said to sniff the lid that was were all the scent was, do they put extra scent on the lid? :confused:

Smart. The lid does smell stronger for SOME reason. This may be it.

I was in a YCC about a year ago, and I saw a lady doing this; so I decided to try it for myself. For whatever reason, it worked. I could smell more on the inside of the lid, than I smelled from the cold throw of the candle. ?????? Needless to say, I bought nothing.

Me too! & then I went to a private chandler's store, & I could smell the CT so much better, stronger, & more accurate by sniffing inside the lids where the fragrance collects. I mentioned that to her & she said she usually suggests the customers smell the inside of the lid, especially from the big glass jars she keeps her votives in.

I will say that when I went to Yankee recently, the only scent that impressed me was the strawberry. I could actually taste it! Wow!

Mike Kittredge, the original founder of YCC, sold 90% of the company in 1998 , for approximately $500 million to a New York private equity firm, who took the company public in 1999. It was then sold in 2007 to another private equity firm based in Chicago for $1.4 billion.

Mike's son, Mike Kittredge III started a candle company in 2009 called Kringle Candle Company and they set up shop less than 20 miles from YCC.

Poetic justice.

HA! I'm not surprised

Do they B$*#h Slap the lid with scent or does it just gather there in shipping?

Reminds me of an old Seinfeld show where they were in search of that perfect burger they ate many years ago. One location after another that was supposed to be the guy that made that old historically remembered burger. None were right, even when they found the guy who made that historic burger they all remembered.

Was that a Seinfeld episode too? I remember watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother and they were searching for the place where they had eaten the best burger in New York. Regis Philbin was on the show searching for the same burger joint as he too had eaten there and couldn't find it. They finally did find it though. It was a funny show.