Newbies thoughts and questions after a couple of pours

Here are my initial thoughts after a pour or two:

-Wood wicks suck.

-I can wipe my coffeecans out and the scents don't seem to carry over.

-Keep all my candle making junk in one place.

-i got myself a scale (believe it or not that was hard to find..but I found one at a Kmart)

-stick my wicks to the bottom and use a clothes pin to straddle the mug and hold the wick up.

-keep papertowels on standby.

Some questions:

-I have to find a more reasonable supplier for scents. The only one I have local charges $10.00 for 2 ozs of FO. (It's quality oil, he runs a candle making business...very successful) Is there a particular online resource you guys can recommend? for quality and cost?

-I guess I need myself a pourpot.

-I remelted a couple and how do you get those black flakes out??

-I'm using this formula..is it about right for scented candles in containers?

Per pound of wax, you will get about 20 ounces of volume. To find how much wax you will need, multiply the number of candles you are making by the amount of wax it will hold, and then divide that by 20. For example, if you want to make 30 - 8 ounce candles the math would be as follows:

30 (containers) x 8 (oz per container) = 240 total ounces / 20 = 12 lbs wax needed

And I'm adding 1 oz (30 cc) of fragrance when it reaches 170 and stir for a couple of minutes.

That bout right??

Overall, I'm enjoying it..for some weird reason, it's fun.

Thanks!

Mark

At the top of this forum, there is a list of suppliers by State. However, I really don't care what state they are in - if they have a FO I like .. I'm ordering it. Read the Fragrance forum. (I use Peaks, Aroma Haven, Nature's Garden, Candle Science, Oregon Trails & Bramble Berry... all quality companies.)

Pour pots: all candle supply companies sell them and so do local craft stores.

Per pound of wax, you will get about 20 ounces of volume.

Get the word 'volume' completely out of your head - everything in candlemaking should be by weight. When I have a container/mold I'm not sure of, I put it on the scale, tare the weight, fill it with water and then multiply that by .86.

I add my FO at 180-185* then stir & cool to appropriate pouring temp. (There is a recent thread regarding temps you should read)

I remelted a couple and how do you get those black flakes out??

I assume you are talking about the wick droppings?? When you remelt the wax, they will settle to the bottom so pour slowly, leaving the black bits in the pour pot, wipe out & toss.

...next question? :cheesy2:

The weight of water and wax differ...when I multiply the water weight by the .86 it comes out just right....it's something that was recommended when I was a newbie and it has always worked.

If I fill a 3x6 pillar mold with water, it weighs 1lb 9oz or 24oz; multiply that by .86 and I come up with 20.64 oz so I melt 21 oz of wax and I come out just right.

I'm not a mathematician and I don't play one on TV but it has always worked for me :laugh2:

Got it..makes sense.

That's a huge list of suppliers. I can see that the FO are a lot cheaper on these online stores than from where I got mine locally, actually 1/2 of his price. But there's shipping on those, so it might end up about the same or.... .86 diff. :rolleyes2

I don't even know what most of those scents are. So far, all I've used is Warm Jazz and Patchouli and tonite I poured Pear Pomegranate (that's just about too sweet).

The Patchouli I like for my office but this was essential oil and honestly..it just stunk, didn't smell like a patchouli candle at all. I think I'm gonna toss it.

My 19 year old son came in tonite from a date and asked if I'd make him one for his room in this clear mug he found. LOL.

May turn out to be a family event. I'll get the stuff ready and let him pour his own.

Welcome. You forgot to put on your list a cat. It has to be a special cat. One that is smart. It has to go beyond the basics of leaving the flame alone and know that its whiskers don't take well to that sort of thing.

It has to help you.

Help with printer jams is natural to them. Most run when there's a bad FO. They'll separate your tart molds if you leave them on the floor in a pile. Most importantly, they can select a wick for you if you drape a few over the desk for them to examine.

I can see that the FO are a lot cheaper on these online stores than from where I got mine locally, actually 1/2 of his price. But there's shipping on those, so it might end up about the same or.... .86 diff. :rolleyes2

===============

When I first started playing around with candlemaking, I ordered the 1 oz'ers and once I found scents that I really liked I then started ordering larger bottles which cuts down on the overall cost. Plus if you find a supplier you like, you'll be ordering other supplies from them; i.e. wax, molds, wicks, etc. so the shipping cost is just a price you pay for the pleasure associated with the craft.

Check out the different suppliers - they offer specials on 1 oz testers when you order a certain number of them. Like this:

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Fragrance-Sampler-Pack--Choice-of-10__F1133.aspx

Some suppliers will toss in a freebie sample when you order a certain amt of stuff - my last order from Peaks, they threw in an oz of Mandarin Plum..a scent I would probably never order but yesterday I decided to give it a try....I blended it 3:1 with Patchouli and it is a kick-a$$ scent!!

There are some FOs that I buy from Oregon Trails that are really pricey but they are so strong that I use them at 1/2 strength so the price turns out to be not so bad afterall.

I like that peak candle site. Very user friendly and updated. I like how it gives instructions and insights as well. I also like that smaller pour pot cause is just a hobby for me. But the main reason is the sampler FO's.

Think I'll place an order for that small pour pot, some cotton wick samples pack, some dye chips and those 10 samples : Citronella (because we camp a lot and i can use our souvenier mugs to fill for outside), clean cotton, nag champa (nice manly one :smiley2:) Orange, patchouli, Tuscan nights, cranberry apple, beach daisies (that just sounds funky enough I wanna smell it) asian sandlewood and rose.

Thanks for the headsup for that site.

Edited by candlentn

Welcome. You forgot to put on your list a cat. It has to be a special cat. One that is smart. It has to go beyond the basics of leaving the flame alone and know that its whiskers don't take well to that sort of thing.

It has to help you.

Help with printer jams is natural to them. Most run when there's a bad FO. They'll separate your tart molds if you leave them on the floor in a pile. Most importantly, they can select a wick for you if you drape a few over the desk for them to examine.

lol that is what i have been doing wrong........i'm heading out to adopt one now

That nag champa is excellent. My husband hates it...so the pillar I made with it is lurking down in the basement. I love it...and it masks the musky odor of our basement which tends to get moisture. I have it near my washing machine lol. I love those scents though...like walking into one of those cool funky shops with incense and stuff.

Beach daisies smells pretty darn good too...you will love Peaks oils.

With these 1 oz samples..I know there is a variance in what the throw is, but i'm just pouring up 8-10 oz coffee mugs now.

I want to learn what these scents are like.

If you were just gonna pour up 8-10 oz mugs, how much FO would you put in them?

*I know some FOs are stronger than others, but just as a rough estimate.

It really depends on what wax you are using as different waxes can handle varing % but you can probably start with 6%. You mentioned you were ordering some Rose FO, if that is the Rose Bouquet it's very strong. When I use it in pillar wax, I go as low as 3%.

I have several guy friends that request my Rose Patch pillars - that's rose and patchouli blended 50/50. Orange Patch would make a nice blend too :)

It really depends on what wax you are using as different waxes can handle varing % but you can probably start with 6%. You mentioned you were ordering some Rose FO, if that is the Rose Bouquet it's very strong. When I use it in pillar wax, I go as low as 3%.

I have several guy friends that request my Rose Patch pillars - that's rose and patchouli blended 50/50. Orange Patch would make a nice blend too :)

Mmmm! Rose Patch sounds really good. How come I never thought of that? lol

Peak's Rose Bouquet is super strong. I poured a bunch of it a few years ago and got kind of tired of it, but mixing it sounds like a good idea.