What is the matter with people?

Bernadette

I got an email in my webstore from another candle/air freshener maker saying she had an order for air fresheners that she didn't have time to make. She needed 150-200 of them. She wanted to know if she sent me the custom logo cookie cutter(1!), what would I charge her? Okay... no mention of fragrances needed, so I have no idea if I have them or not. No mention of the size of the cookie cutter. Anyone who makes these knows that cutters come in all sizes up to 8". I've made them in all sizes, and some take alot of beads. No mention if she wanted them multi colored or one color. So I ask her all these questions and told her that I would get her a quote within 1/2 hour. BTW, I answered her email within 15 minutes of receiving it in my inbox. Never heard from her again. Why did she even bother to ask?:confused::tiptoe:

1. Maybe she was trying to see how much you charge because she has no idea about wholesale pricing and has an offer on her end.

2. Maybe she found someone else to do them and changed her mind about you. No telling how many people she contacted before you.

1. Maybe she was trying to see how much you charge because she has no idea about wholesale pricing and has an offer on her end.

2. Maybe she found someone else to do them and changed her mind about you. No telling how many people she contacted before you.

Yeah...I hear ya, but why waste her time and mine without providing all the information? That's like saying "I'd like 150-200 candles - period. Pls give me a quote asap." If you asked someone something, and that someone needed more info from you and took the time to write you and explain, wouldn't you at least tell them you no longer needed a quote? People on this board get ticked at suppliers all the time for not answering emails. It's sorta the same thing. I would think that as hand crafters, we would extend each other some measure of courtesy. I guess I expect too much from people. (I've since deep sixed her request):tiptoe:

That is so frustrating!

It happens to me sometimes on Etsy. A buyer will ask me a ton of questions about my product ( I sell hair accessories at the moment) and then I will answer them and then they don't get back to me.

I've outsourced products in the past when I have too many orders to fill. This other candlemaker is someone who I know makes great candles because I used to buy from her all of the time, I know her business has taken a hit and I supply her with EVERYTHING. During the last 2 years I've been shut down her business has suffered...now that I'm reopening we've already started stocking her up...she's an ethical person and takes pride in her work, she wouldn't think to sabotage me nor I her. Her health is also deteriorating and she needs a second income. Every time a newbie asks "can I make a living making candles."

it inevitably causes a debate on the forum. It's such a subjective question..some people are hobbyist, some people make the craft show circuit, some people do parties, some have Internet websites and some have actual stores. We had a very successful candle store in our little town...9 years and her stores got bigger and bigger...she only sold drew and Yankee candles and lots of candle paraphernalia. I approached her when I was starting out to see if she would sell my stuff...she sold one muffin candle to herself and that was it. 3 years ago I get a call from her ...did I want to buy her store and all her inventory? For me it didn't make sense because I didn't want to sell drew or yankee and she only wanted to sell her store with inventory. The business has been closed and it's empty and she's most likely still paying her rent, taxes etc. There are so many variables regarding being able to support yourself by candle or soap making alone...depends on how much $$$ it takes for you to live...so when asked I never tell anyone it's impossible..So as to the original question regarding outsourcing....I think it's highly workable and profitable if you pick the right person to work with you. I would have at least discussed it, gotten details, negotiate all of the details and then ask yourself if this seems legit .... I'd give it serious consideration unless you're business is doing so well financially that you don't need the extra income.

Why would she accept an order she can't fill?! :confused:

If I ordered from someone that many, it would mean i liked their product; but then to find out she outsourced the order...how inconsistent in quality is that gonna make it?

Trudi

Do you know this person? Its very odd that a total stranger would ask you to do this. I don't care if you do outsource your work you would't go to a total stranger and certainly not ask in the fashion this person is doing.

This sounds like some kind of new scam to me.

Do you know this person? Its very odd that a total stranger would ask you to do this. I don't care if you do outsource your work you would't go to a total stranger and certainly not ask in the fashion this person is doing.

I agree :)

I got an email in my webstore from another candle/air freshener maker saying she had an order for air fresheners that she didn't have time to make. She needed 150-200 of them. She wanted to know if she sent me the custom logo cookie cutter(1!), what would I charge her? Okay... no mention of fragrances needed, so I have no idea if I have them or not. No mention of the size of the cookie cutter. Anyone who makes these knows that cutters come in all sizes up to 8". I've made them in all sizes, and some take alot of beads. No mention if she wanted them multi colored or one color. So I ask her all these questions and told her that I would get her a quote within 1/2 hour. BTW, I answered her email within 15 minutes of receiving it in my inbox. Never heard from her again. Why did she even bother to ask?:confused::tiptoe:

In her email did she identify herself or do you just have an email address. A legit request should have and identifiable and traceable name, company, and ph # otherwise it goes directly into the trash.

Edited by Candybee

I don't want to give too much detail about this person because I seriously believe they are a member of this forum. Their email addy starts with the exact user name of one of the board members(which could be coincidence, I know). They are located in Texas.

No, I don't know them. No, they didn't give an actual name. They had visited my site on numerous occasions though - always looking at my aroma bead fresheners.

And no, I don't need the business. I do this full time, seven days a week. I keep a laptop in the work room that's always on the internet, plus a bluetooth stuck in my ear so I don't miss any calls. I do this totally by myself, and I guess it just irks the bejeebers out of me that someone wants something asap - and then zilch! I took time away from my orders to response within 15 minutes of receiving the email. Most people that send questions write back and say that my response was the fastest they have ever had when shopping the internet.

This just got under my skin...it was a waste of my time and ignorance on their part. Sorry...time to catch a couple hours of much needed sleep...:tiptoe:

At least tell you, I changed my mind, thanks. That is so rude. I have customers that write me an email asking me how much shipping is for the candles.......This happens all the time. Ok, like where do you live??? What size and how many candles? How fast do you want them to get there??? I started to up the prices and call it free shipping on 50.00 or over. :confused:

It sounds like a scam to me too.

If I ordered from a company and then found out they had outsourced my order they would lose my custom. I order from someone because I like their products and I, personally, would be very annoyed to discover someone else had produced my order.