Cash & Carry Trade Show... Help

I am entering the world of the wholesale trade show. My first big one is in 2 weeks in Madison, WI called Market Square Cash & Carry. I have heard from 2 different people - one vendor that has attended, and one store owner who has gone as a buyer. Both give the impression that this is a HUGE show and a big deal.

The vendor who emailed me said they bring $16,000 in wholesale inventory to this show. The buyer I chatted with said she thinks I could sell out everything I have plus take orders for more.

I'm beginning to be a little awed by the prospect of such a huge event. My mind is swimming with the 'how' of it all.

If anyone has any experience at this event or at something like it I would love any info or suggestions. Especially:

How much inventory should I bring? (I don't have $16,000 worth...)

Do I HAVE to have the ability to take credit cards (will I lose sales without it?)

For a bit of my own background... I have attended one other very small wholesale show in my area. I already have 15 or so stores in this area that sell my candles and reorder at different intervals. I also attend several craft shows and events each year.

I'm afraid I feel a little 'small fry' here.

Thanks for ANY help you may have to offer!

I have not done one of these shows, but I thought I would let you know that the "store" customers I have always use a business credit card. Most prefer to use American Express. This provides them with the paper trail that their business model demands. You will always get more sales if you can accept credit cards, even in this economy.:tiptoe:

I just got back from visiting with 2 of my store customers that sell for me close by. Both say that having the ability to take credit cards will be important and I'll probably lose sales without it. So I'll be googling and reading much about the best way to get credit cards going in my business.

I'd love to hear how any of you do it.

If I'm going to pay for this service, I think I'll make sure it is as portable as possible so I can take it to any show I do. Even outside.

What do you think?

Oh, and I'll certainly post my experiences as I go... Good and bad.:rolleyes2

If you can sell one item to each person protesting in Madison you will have a great sales day!! Hopefully our states crisis will be over before then.

:laugh2:My daughter lives about a block from the Capital building and she says it has been very interesting down there lately. One day it took her 1 hour to get around the square to get home. Thought she was going to run out of gas.

On another note, I use Propay to process credit cards and am very happy with it. Check out their site.

You do need to take lots of inventory. I would not go in with less than $10,000 in product at the very least. The most I have ever made ahead of time was around $8,000 to take to my first large craft show.

I'm hoping to start doing the cash and carry shows here in my area but getting the upfront money to make enough product and pay the vendor fee is what is holding me back for now.

The ones out here require proof that you can handle the large sales. They also have the show set up so there are show staff to help you move, load, and unload your stock. You will also need to be set up to take cc. You should think about if you want to take out orders that have to be shipped. I know a vendor that will only take orders he can deliver so he doesn't have to bother with shipping. If you do well you can get a couple of good wholesale accounts as well as sell your most of your stock off at the show.

Good luck with your show! Keep us posted how it goes.

Well, I think the best I can do will be to take around $5,000 in product. For me, that is about 50 dozen jars and the same in travel tins. Do you think I should order more jars and have more product?

I began looking into cc stuff yesterday. I called my bank, looked at Thompson... something, Touch... something, Sorry I can't remember the names... But I think I like the look of Propay best. I read a lot here on the forums too and I think Propay sounds like the most commonly used small businss cc company among us crafters.

Another issue / question. I currently ship using priority to web customers. I believe that will still be the best way to ship cases of candles to store buyers in the future. Even if they order 2 or 3 or more cases (dozen) I can ship them in the flat rate or even the new regional boxes. UPS seems much more spendy than that. Anybody ship quantities out to stores and have advice for me?

When I ship larger orders, I usually use FedEx. Alot of people on here don't like them, but they are wonderful where I live, handle packages much better than UPS, come with insurance, and are cheaper than UPS. If I ship on a Monday, it will be anywhere in the continental US by Friday, and I can track it every step of the way.

My candles are big, and I can't fit that much into the flat rate/regional USPS boxes. I still find FedEx to be less expensive, even when considering multi flat rate boxes. HTP:tiptoe:

Idea: Try to find out what buyers are looking for at this particular show. This could help in your decision making process about how much of each type of candle to bring.

For example: Are buyers coming to look for "Spring" or "Summer" items to stock in their shops? Then take your most popular selling candles in those types of fragrances. (Just bring a few samples of autmun scents for customers to sniff to get an idea of what you offer for that time of year).

This was suggested to me by someone who repeatedly attends trade shows in Atlanta. She made it clear that buyers are not looking for Hot Cocoa and Mistletoe scents if they are buying for the spring season....they are looking for florals and fruits....but for shows she does in July...buyers are already looking to stock their shelves for Autumn/Winter selling.

You could also contact the Folks who are in charge of the show and see if they can give you an idea of what buyers are looking for at this particular show. They really should know what "shopping Season" their show is geared toward. It could help you narrow down your inventory to a more manageable list. Make it a wee bit less stressful.

You might also want to take another person with you to help sell as well as cover for you on a lunch/restroom break. These events can be pretty busy!! Gives you time to also walk some of the show at least once and see what other candlemakers/soap makers are selling. It's important to know how your product stands out from theirs.

Have an awesome show!!!

I'm curious about the dollar amounts being discussed. When the suggest is to bring at least $8000 in inventory, is the $8000 the wholesale price at which you will sell at the cash and carry, the retail value, or the cost of raw materials?

Thats the retail value thats being discussed. At cash and carry trade shows you will be selling to retailers, shop owners, wholesalers, and need several thousand dollars worth of merchandise ready to sell on the spot. This is not a craft show. Thats why its called a trade show. If you don't come prepared you may not be asked to come back. The trade shows in my area require proof that you are set up to handle selling at the wholesale level.

Edited by Candybee

Idea: Try to find out what buyers are looking for at this particular show. This could help in your decision making process about how much of each type of candle to bring.

For example: Are buyers coming to look for "Spring" or "Summer" items to stock in their shops? Then take your most popular selling candles in those types of fragrances. (Just bring a few samples of autmun scents for customers to sniff to get an idea of what you offer for that time of year).

This was suggested to me by someone who repeatedly attends trade shows in Atlanta. She made it clear that buyers are not looking for Hot Cocoa and Mistletoe scents if they are buying for the spring season....they are looking for florals and fruits....but for shows she does in July...buyers are already looking to stock their shelves for Autumn/Winter selling.

You could also contact the Folks who are in charge of the show and see if they can give you an idea of what buyers are looking for at this particular show. They really should know what "shopping Season" their show is geared toward. It could help you narrow down your inventory to a more manageable list. Make it a wee bit less stressful.

You might also want to take another person with you to help sell as well as cover for you on a lunch/restroom break. These events can be pretty busy!! Gives you time to also walk some of the show at least once and see what other candlemakers/soap makers are selling. It's important to know how your product stands out from theirs.

Have an awesome show!!!

This is true. If you go to a Spring show retailers are probably looking for summer stock. If you go to a summer show retailers are looking for fall/holiday stock. Since your show is just at the turn of winter/spring I would check and see if you can find out from someone attending what season stock to bring with.

Thats the retail value thats being discussed. At cash and carry trade shows you will be selling to retailers, shop owners, wholesalers, and need several thousand dollars worth of merchandise ready to sell on the spot. This is not a craft show. Thats why its called a trade show. If you don't come prepared you may not be asked to come back. The trade shows in my area require proof that you are set up to handle selling at the wholesale level.

Ok. I thought it was wholesale value. Yes, I'm aware this is not a craft show. I had never heard of "cash and carry" type trade shows.

I have done this show and all the other C&C shows around the country. Madison is one of the smaller ones. Not to burst your bubble, but prepared to loose money and hope to cover your expenses. It is very hard to get people to buy your products, especially candles, if you do not have your name established in the industry. Unless you have a unique product it is extremely hard to get established. In a C&C you have 5 seconds to grab their attention and if you are across from a busy booth that has a clientele built, forget it, you will be missed. Good luck and would like to hear how things have gone.

Yep, I've been deterred to do the Madison show too. The traffic has definetly gone down over the last five years and candles are everywhere.

If you do stick with it, let us know how it goes! I'd hit the Minneapolis Mart myself. They have incredible traffic!

I have done this show and all the other C&C shows around the country. Madison is one of the smaller ones. Not to burst your bubble, but prepared to loose money and hope to cover your expenses. It is very hard to get people to buy your products, especially candles, if you do not have your name established in the industry. Unless you have a unique product it is extremely hard to get established. In a C&C you have 5 seconds to grab their attention and if you are across from a busy booth that has a clientele built, forget it, you will be missed. Good luck and would like to hear how things have gone.

Well, this does bring me a bit back down to earth. :rolleyes2 I know I have always tended to bring way too much to shows. Especially my first ones a few years ago. I will still bring all I can to this one and hope for the best. I know I will be a smaller booth compared to others. I have some plans for drawing folks in... but I also know I'm new here and won't have a clientelle coming to find me specifically. We'll see. My goal is really to get a handfull of new stores selling my candles. I'll be happy with that, and thrilled with anything more.

Idea: Try to find out what buyers are looking for at this particular show. This could help in your decision making process about how much of each type of candle to bring...

Have an awesome show!!!

That is great advice. I kind of think I'm not seeing the forest for the trees here. I will focus on more spring and summer scents, as I was told by a worker with this company that this will be what buyers will look for now.

I do have my sister helping me that day... I'll be able to use the bathroom when needed. :smiley2: