I'm kinda embarassed

Starr

I bought a new fridge this year for my soaping oils. I had a little 2ish cubic foot dorm type fridge and with this year's Soaper's Choice Order I just KNEW I was going to need something bigger. So I found a very reasonably priced 4.6 cubic foot fridge that I REALLY thought was going to be enough.

Have you figured out how this story ends yet?...

That's right, I now have my little 2 cubic foot stacked on top of my 4.6 cubic foot. It's a freaking tower of refrigerators in my workroom.

I half hope I never need that much space. I've found that I love making stuff when I want to and making exactly what I want to. I make stuff for me, my parents, a few gifty types of things and that's about it. It allows me to make stuff when I'm feeling up to it and struggle to clean up when I'm not feeling up to it. Oh well, there is my swap obsession but that's a whole DIFFERENT story.

I make lotions and facial lotions and creams along with soap. The specialty oils fill my frig. They are expensive and I do not use them as fast as the soaping oils. That said, I also keep my shea, cocoa butter, painya butter and other butters in the frig too.

I also have a chest freezer for stockpiling goat milk and larger boxes of shea and cocoa butter. I do not want to milk my goaties year round thus the freezer.

I need that much room!! My DH keeps "voicing his concerns" that I am taking up too much of the kitchen. I "voiced my opinion" that maybe he could build me a workshop and then I would be out of the way. ...awwww to dream.

Eesh! I got some exotic oils a couple weeks ago: borage, argan, hemp, emu, avacado. Along with cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter. Should these all be thrown in the fridge? (I have 3 sons, the fridge is always full fast and emptied even faster lol).

Do you let them sit at room temp before using? I don't sell yet so what I have won't get used up very fast! Never thought about the fridge!

Eesh! I got some exotic oils a couple weeks ago: borage, argan, hemp, emu, avacado. Along with cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter. Should these all be thrown in the fridge? (I have 3 sons, the fridge is always full fast and emptied even faster lol).

Do you let them sit at room temp before using? I don't sell yet so what I have won't get used up very fast! Never thought about the fridge!

Put them in the fridge. I'm in AZ so it really isn't an option!! I don't keep much on hand, just a pound of this and a pound of that -- I worn people that everything in the door of the fridge is lotion making stuff and not for human consumption. Anything inside the fridge on the shelves is food.

You should definitely refrigerate, especially if you're not going to use your oils very quickly. The 60ish lbs I just bought will last me roughly 9-12 months and I'm in a 4-season climate. Those oils and butters can get rancid just the same as crisco, olive oil, canola, vegetable, etc... and will have the same kind of funky smell. Ick.

I'm so glad I saw this post! I don't make soaps, but had to see why u were so embarassed lol. I'm sorry, it's like watching someone trip.. can't help looking. I have small bottles of the oils, but like I said I RARELY use them.

Do they need to be warmed to room temp before using? Or do you use them straight out of the fridge?

Thanks much :yay:

Depends on what I'm doing really. For HP, I'll use them cold. For CP, I take them out usually a few hours before I'm ready to soap, measure what I want and put the rest back in the fridge. For CPHP, I'll use them cold. With lotions and stuff like that, I add them with the water that I'm going to warm up so using them cold isn't an issue.