Does GG palm have a stronger HT than soy?

I made soy candles for about two years and have done glass glow for about a year now. My experience has been that the hot throw is about the same but I have found that more FOs work in glass glow as opposed to soy. There were just some FOs that did not work in soy but I can get them to work in palm.

I made soy candles for about two years and have done glass glow for about a year now. My experience has been that the hot throw is about the same but I have found that more FOs work in glass glow as opposed to soy. There were just some FOs that did not work in soy but I can get them to work in palm.

Thank you! :)

Has anybody compared the HT of Glass Glow palm to parasoy IGI 6006?

That depends entirely upon the wicking and the FO. Some fragrances throw better in soy, most notably, bakery type scents. Sharp herbals tend to throw better in palm wax. I don't think, in general, that the throw from palm wax is any better or worse than soy. I find them about equal. For the fragrances that I pour in both palm wax and soy, I find little difference.

Many people who have tried all of the waxes mentioned say that paraffin has a better hot throw hands down. Parasoy has never impressed me as having a better throw than soy - it simply frosts less.

My best suggestion is to try all of the waxes and judge for yourself. ;)

I love the HT from GG and love that its hard to find a FO that won't work in it. Soy--- not so much. Soy is very fussy and takes a lot more testing and resources to get a great thrower out of it. So for those reasons GG is hands down the better wax IMO. Plus I love the soft luminous glow of a burning GG candle. Soy doesn't glow when it burns.

I love the HT from GG and love that its hard to find a FO that won't work in it. Soy--- not so much. Soy is very fussy and takes a lot more testing and resources to get a great thrower out of it. So for those reasons GG is hands down the better wax IMO. Plus I love the soft luminous glow of a burning GG candle. Soy doesn't glow when it burns.

Thanks, Candybee! :) I love the beautiful look of GG. I'm so happy to hear it has a good HT when it's done correctly. I decided to go with IGI 6006 because it's local & seems much easier for a beginner to work with. But I would still love to order GG when I can afford it.

From what I've read, soy does seem to require a lot of expensive testing, even going into thousands of dollars, which doesn't make sense for a beginner like me who can't afford to do that.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be expensive no matter what wax you choose! ANY wax needs to be tested with every scent/wick/color combo. Beginners have no less money than those that have been at this a while, lol :laugh2:

Beginners have no less money than those that have been at this a while, lol
Actually, they probably have more... a LOT more!

You see, as the addiction develops, its influence broadens and causes more money to fly in lots of new and exciting directions. Oh sure - one usually starts thinking that making some votives or tarts or tea lights will satisfy them. But the votives don't last long enough, so one must either start making pillars or larger container candles to satisfy the growing need. Then that isn't enough because one heard that a different type of wax burned longer or smelled better or was prettier, so one has to purchase that. Then new suppliers of fragrances are found to support the claims of other hopeless addicts who order samples at least twice daily. Then a corner of the kitchen won't do, and a room has to be cleared for all the stuff. Relatives and friends press one to sell to recoup some of the money pouring from your bank account, so one begins selling... Walking the streets with candles, showing them to people in line at the grocery store, bribing doctors and dentists with them... selling your stuff to anyone and everyone just to support your habit. It's incidious. People add rooms, enclose garages, build shops out back. Next, they rent storefronts, then warehouses... Family members become sources of low-cost labor... Friends become procurers for new customers...

And to think - it all started with one little sniff that lit ya up... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952

From what I've read, soy does seem to require a lot of expensive testing, even going into thousands of dollars, which doesn't make sense for a beginner like me who can't afford to do that.

ANY candle system made from any wax requires due diligence in testing. It's a product with an open flame! If your budget won't allow you to test candles, start out making tarts, scented wax decorations and firestarters. They require the least amount of testing, technique and investment. But they're not nearly as much fun... ;)

ANY candle system made from any wax requires due diligence in testing. It's a product with an open flame! If your budget won't allow you to test candles, start out making tarts, scented wax decorations and firestarters. They require the least amount of testing, technique and investment. But they're not nearly as much fun... ;)

Yes, testing is necessary, I didn't mean not to test at all. But the amount of testing seems to depend on the type of wax they choose. I feel sad for the newbies who say they spent $2,000 to $5,000 just trying to get a decent candle out of soy, especially if they're unemployed/disabled & really need a way to earn a little extra money. The only ones who seem to get good results from soy without spending thousands are starting with CB Advanced, because then they can test for wick size & FO load, & not spend months trying to get a decent candle.

I feel sad for the newbies who say they spent $2,000 to $5,000 just trying to get a decent candle out of soy, especially if they're unemployed/disabled & really need a way to earn a little extra money.

It's completely unnecessary for someone to spend that much money to learn how to make a decent soy candle. While I'm sorry for them, the answers are all right here in the threads for anyone who takes the time to study and work hard to learn how to be successful. People overspend every hour of every day and end up with nothing to show for it. That's life.

The only ones who seem to get good results from soy without spending thousands are starting with CB Advanced, because then they can test for wick size & FO load, & not spend months trying to get a decent candle.

How do YOU define "a decent candle?"

I get good results from soy and I do not use CBA. I use NatureWax C3. It has its own set of issues, but I learned to work with it and how to make a "decent" candle without spending thousands. Others here have done the same thing with different waxes. There is absolutely nothing magical about CBA (or any other wax) nor does it provide any shortcuts to learning how to make quality candles that are marketable. It takes doing one's homework and a lot of hard work to learn how to make "a decent candle." Which is what has to happen before someone even THINKS about selling their products to the general public.

Edited by Stella1952

How do YOU define "a decent candle?"

Decent candle: No frosting, smooth tops, no cracks or sink holes, no air bubbles, burns evenly, no hangup by the time the candle burns down to the end, container does not get hot, no soot, candle self-extinguishes before burning the last 1/2" of wax, properly wicked so no wick problems like mushrooming, etc, minimal wet spots, excellent hot throw & cold throw, wick attached to jar with red permatex silicone so it won't come loose, candle-safe container, pretty color...

HorsescentS, I believe you might want us to do your homework for you, lol. In a similar post you ask which has the strongest throw 4627 or 6006.......Everyone has a different opinion, so just jump on in and order a few pounds and start experimenting! It is going to cost you money. No doubt about it. But you will have to decide for yourself which of all these waxes has the better hot throw for YOU! Because after all that testing, sometimes even the one with the strongest throw won't be the one you decide on because of wicking issues, or set up, or price, shipping and the list goes on.

HorsescentS, I believe you might want us to do your homework for you, lol. In a similar post you ask which has the strongest throw 4627 or 6006.......Everyone has a different opinion, so just jump on in and order a few pounds and start experimenting! It is going to cost you money. No doubt about it. But you will have to decide for yourself which of all these waxes has the better hot throw for YOU! Because after all that testing, sometimes even the one with the strongest throw won't be the one you decide on because of wicking issues, or set up, or price, shipping and the list goes on.

No, I don't want you to do my homework for me. I already bought 6006 locally, & I was trying to find out if the 4627 HT was better enough than 6006 to be worth the extra money to order it from out of state, because I'm on a very low fixed income (disability) & cannot afford to waste money on shipping unless there's a significant difference in HT. Now that I've found more info on other forums about 4627 HT vs. 6006 HT, I will definitely be ordering 4627 from out of state, UNLESS I'm thrilled with the HT from the 6006 candles that I make next week.

I've already decided not to use 100% veggie wax, but if I had jumped in & started testing both soy & palm when I first started this thread, it would have been a very expensive mistake.

Edited by HorsescentS
Need to add something

HS, I understand your desire to not make any costly mistakes, but you really do have to jump in and get your feet wet. There are many differing opinions about candlemaking from selection of waxes, to candle type, to wicks, to dyes, FOs, etc. There are many roads to making "a decent candle." What gets one person *there* by express train can take another down broken tracks and to the outskirts of Nowhereville. We have members who make "decent" candles out of every brand of wax sold (otherwise no one would sell the stuff!). Marketing by wax manufacturers plays a large part in people's initial selection of wax as well as what's available in their area. The best wax to use frequently is the one you can get locally without paying any shipping!

I "jumped in" (as have many others before and after me) and started testing soy and palm waxes. Most of us learned how to make a decent candle reasonably quickly without spending a small fortune. Overspending happens when people buy too many FOs, containers, molds and waxes to test. They get lost in all the possibilities.

Gathering information is a good thing and I support doing lots of reading and homework, but one has to actually make candles to form valid opinions about waxes, wicks, etc. I read that you have some wax coming in in the near future so I expect you'll have different questions and concerns once you actually start making candles. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stella, I jumped in when I could afford to jump in, which was a couple of days ago. I would have started making candles weeks ago, but I had to gradually acquire the supplies over a period 3 of months, since my income is well below $1,000 per month. So I was forced to wait & do research far longer than I ordinarily would have, since I've never been afraid to "jump in." I made 24, 8 oz jj's with IGI 6006 & 7 different Candlescience FOs, 51z wicks, mixing my own colors with liquid dye, & they all turned out gorgeous with good CT, but the HT (so far) is little to none, either because they need time to cure or because 1 oz p.p. was not enough. The temps I used & the amount of stirring I did should have worked based on what I've read. So, I'll probably switch to that messy Vaseline-like paraffin that's known for it's amazing HT next. I can't remember the name of it right now.