Can I use HDPE bottles to store my fragrance oils in?

I know many leave them in the HDPE bottles they are shipped in, but unless you are using them up quickly it's best to store them in amber glass. Some components of the FOs will escape through the plastic in many cases.

But like I said, many don't bother and will tell you their stuff is just fine.

I've been using glass bottles to blend my own fragrance oils but after one too many accidents, I'd rather use plastic. I know I can't use PET plastic but is HDPE or LDPE ok for fragrance oils?

I have had f/o stay just fine (as stated above) in HDPE bottles. I do store them in dark, cool areas. I have found that the citrus oils don't remain "good" for very long. So I try not to keep many of those on hand at one time. HTH. Good luck!

i have noticed it does not take long for bottles other than amber glass, to start looking sucked in..i have even had mine crack..

so i now store all my fo's, in amber glass..

Ohhhhh! I noticed some of my FO bottles, even some that are just a month or two old, get that sucked in look. Had no idea what that was.

Thanks, everyone.

i don't think that it will hurt your fo's in that short of time..so don't panic.

i have had fo's in plastic bottles for a long time..and they didn't go bad..

but with what i read, and how some of my bottles got over time..

i little by little started storing my fo's in glass.

try to see if you can find somewhere close by for the glass...as they are heavy and cost quite a bit in shipping..