Wick Question and Hello

Hello I am a newbie. I have been reading thread after thread on here for the past 2 weeks. It's amazing what a wealth of information is available in the simplest of threads! I ordered from peak and CS and can't wait to attempt my first candle!

I have a quick question I can't seem to understand.

When you guys mention wicking up or wicking down are you talking about trimming the wick shorter/longer or are you talking about actually using a thicker/thinner wick?

What exactly happens to the candle in your test that leads you to conclude that you need to wick up or down?

Thanks!

Yaremis

If you are using CD wicks, for example. Wicking up would mean going from a CD-8 to a CD-10. Wicking down is the reverse. There are lots of reasons to change wicking. Too little melt pool, too big melt pool, tunneling, weak hot throw, veggie wax vs. paraffin, wax hang up, spicy FO's....and on and on it goes. That's why testing is so important. No wax, wick and FO combo is an assured winner.

Wick up means to go up to the next size wick. Wick down means to use a smaller wick.

You need to wick up when you don't get a full melt pool and/or your wick drowns out; to much hang-up, no HT, etc.

You'll need to wick down when you have too large/deep of a melt pool; too large of a flame, wax consumed too quickly, jar gets too hot, etc. It's alot of trial & error. It all depends on your "System" which includes type of container, wax, wick, FO, dye, ambient temp. Welcome and HTH!

ETA: Faerywren and I were posting at the same time! We both had the same advice, tho....

Edited by IwantItgreen

Hello and welcome to your new addiction!! Wicking up/down means that you need to go up or down a wick size. Say you're using ECO 10's and you need to wick up you'd go with an ECO 12, down would be an ECO 8. And various factors go into whether or not you need to change the wick size. The way the candle is burning, little or no scent throw and some FO's require a larger wicker than others, for example. It's all gonna be part of testing. Make sense now? I know I've seen this discussed before so just do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with more on it. HTH.

ETA: Posting at the same time as well.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

Thanks everyone. So I assume you all have multiple size wicks at your disposal. I purchased my wicks from CS and according to their guide, based on the size container I am using, they recommended an ECO 10. So I guess it would be smart to have some ECO 8 and ECO 12 on hand in case I need to wick up and down...

I can see this will be an expensive hobby LOL.

Thanks everyone. So I assume you all have multiple size wicks at your disposal. I purchased my wicks from CS and according to their guide, based on the size container I am using, they recommended an ECO 10. So I guess it would be smart to have some ECO 8 and ECO 12 on hand in case I need to wick up and down...

It's best to start with a sampler pack when you really aren't sure what size to even start testing with. There are so many variables. Sometimes I'll go one up and one down (burning all at the same time) just to see the difference in how they burn.

ooOO You have no idea what you're getting into :laugh2:

Yes, I have a drawer full of different wicks.

Oh my, I think I just snorted wine up my nose... :laugh2:

Sooo, so true. But keep it simple to minimize expenses... one type of candle, one type of wax, and experiment with the wicks and FOs. See what it takes to master just one kind before taking on anything else.

Good luck!!!

Jonsie, you can afford wine? You didn't spend your last dollar on FO's? I'm jealous.

Hi Yponce, welcome to the great addiction. I'm pretty sure there is a way to manage this illness, but so far I haven't figured it out. The neat thing about it is that its really fun.