NG vs. Peak

classiccandle

I've been looking at the FO's offered by both of these suppliers and am astonished at the price differences. I've ordered some sample FO's from Peaks and have found most of them to have a good CT and HT. I've never ordered from Natures Garden but am tempted to after looking at their prices.

Below are just a few comparisons I've found for the same FO's in 16 oz sizes. For those in the know, are Peaks fragrances that much better that they can command such a high price?

Canteloupe

Peak - $19.45

NG - $13.95

Bayberry

Peak - $20.50

NG - $14.89

Freesia

Peak - $19.95

NG - $14.29

Green Tea

Peak - $18.95

NG - $14.49

Red Currant

Peak - $19.95

NG - $14.49

Creme Brulee

Peak - $17.95

NG - $13.95

Again, these are just a few samples I've come across. I've seen on NG's Facebook page that their FO prices will increase about 10% soon after March 1 but even if they raise their prices 10% they're still considerably lower than Peak FO's. Can someone enlighten me on why Peaks is so much more expensive?

Thanks!

Being fairly new to candle and tart making, my personal preference is Peak. I have ordered from NG and have gotten some very nice, strong throwing scents. But IF I had to choose one, it would be Peak! I can honestly say that EVERY single FO that I have ordered from them has had a strong HT, I may not have liked all the oils I have gotten, but that's just a personal preference.

Their prices are a bit higher, but IMO, it's worth it. Last week I made tarts using Peaks Jamaica Me Crazy and Orange Blossom - both those scents filled my whole home. For each fragrance I used 1.5 oz per pound in a blend of 75/25 4794/464. I think these are my two new favorites scents! HTH!:smiley2:

Same name does NOT equal same FO. A supplier may carry FOs of the same name as another but that does not mean they are from the same manufacturer nor formulated the same. One can sample Mulberry (for example) from several suppliers and you will find there is a lot of difference among them. Some FOs are not as "accurate" as are others. Some are more diluted. Some have different notes. Cheap FOs often smell like cheap perfume. Crappy FOs can degrade more rapidly than more carefully crafted ones, both in the bottle and in the candles. One is sometime better served by paying more. Just because one person likes FOs from a certain supplier is no guarantee that YOU will like them in YOUR candles. Ya have to check it out for yourself.

Keep in mind that judging fragrances OOB is not a very accurate way to judge how they will throw in wax. The best way to discern the differences is to order samples of the same FO from several places to test and decide which ones you like best and which ones work best in your candles.

That's why they make 1-2 oz. testers. :)

There is alot that goes into a price,

1) I'm sure that since Peaks is in Colorado they don't have the same supplier as an Ohio Company.

2) The quantity, say one company might buy the least amount and the other might buy the highest amount. Big Price difference there.

Not saying that's what's going on but the amount of Fo they buy does have to be put into concideration.

3) Different suppliers use different ingredients to make the product.

4) Each suppliers products are priced differently than others.

5) Shipping plays a big part in it too.

6) Profit, You have to include the bottle that they put the Fo's in, labeling, their time, etc...

I bet if you bought samples from each company, of the scents you put on here most will not smell the same. What one person thinks Bayberry smells like is different from another.

Edited by mindy5140

I find that most of the FO's I get from NG are good. And it is much closer, so shipping is cheaper. I have recently sampled many FO's from Peaks and have been happy with 90% of them. So I will go with the ones from NG for the shipping, and a couple from Peaks because I like them better. How's that for waffling, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

I love both companies and there fragrance oils are wonderful. However, Peaks definitely has the more potent scent in my opinion. Since scent is what sells, I would choose Peaks if I had to choose one. I am glad that I do not have to choose though.

On the original list, I have both the green teas, and they are REALLY different. Peaks is much more perfumey, and NGs is more straight, bright, green tea. I like them both.

Peak has great scents, but they don't get new ones in very often. The ones they do have, have worked great for me. I like that NG keeps adding new scents all the time, and they have a huge variety, but not all of their scents have been winners for me.

Peak has great scents, but they don't get new ones in very often. The ones they do have, have worked great for me. I like that NG keeps adding new scents all the time, and they have a huge variety, but not all of their scents have been winners for me.

It is interesting how different people can be. I do really care if a company constantly get new scents. I like old favorites that the company readily keeps in stock. Since I only buy single note scents for the most part, Peaks is great for me. I never purchase dupe scents or "company created" blends. I like blending my own creations. I think this is another reason why I lean toward Peaks.

I wish I dared to mix my own scents! I am too afraid that I will make something horrendous and end up wasting precious FO.

Oh you have to try it, it's fun. I've made some great ones and I've made some disgusting ones, lol.. I use the Qtip method so I'm not wasting FO.

(stick a Qtip of each scent into a bag for a day or two then sniff)

There are several threads in this section with FO's that others have mixed.

I wish I dared to mix my own scents! I am too afraid that I will make something horrendous and end up wasting precious FO.

But when you hit on that AMAZING scent, the money that you generate will make up for all the FO that you used. :thumbsup: Besides, mixing stuff is a great hobby!

For example, I just poured seaside cotton from NG a few minutes ago. I probably could have made a blend of this myself from Peak Ocean and clean cotton... but I'm too CHICKEN!

Give it a try, I use Peaks Ocean and blend it with CS Clean Cotton, for my version of Island Fresh Cotton

I use both suppliers and find them both to be of excellent customer service & quality. I have had oils that haven't thrown from both of them, but most are superior. Peak's Bayberry is outstanding, the best I have ever smelled, with a HT that is amazing, so I will never switch even if it is more expensive. But NG has an excellent Mulberry that I wouldn't trade with anybodies either. I wish I lived close to a supplier, but when you live in Alaska, every compnay is across the the country...lol.

I use both suppliers and find them both to be of excellent customer service & quality. I have had oils that haven't thrown from both of them, but most are superior. Peak's Bayberry is outstanding, the best I have ever smelled, with a HT that is amazing, so I will never switch even if it is more expensive. But NG has an excellent Mulberry that I wouldn't trade with anybodies either. I wish I lived close to a supplier, but when you live in Alaska, every compnay is across the the country...lol.

LOL try living in Australia! :cheesy2: I have found NG to be fantastic ... their customer service is amazing and I have not had a miss yet with their FOs. I haven't tried Peak as they never responded to my email asking if they do international shipping.