Canes

Darla,

a quick answer is yes and no. If I pour the cane with an insert (I use a 3" pillar mold) when I remove it there is no bottom & I pour that separately.

If I use the method where you fill the mold then pour out the wax from the center after the shell has formed, it has a bottom.

Darla,

a quick answer is yes and no. If I pour the cane with an insert (I use a 3" pillar mold) when I remove it there is no bottom & I pour that separately.

If I use the method where you fill the mold then pour out the wax from the center after the shell has formed, it has a bottom.

I'm curious now....does a hurricane have to have a bottom?

Yes, a hurricane has a bottom. If you use or don't use an insert. If you use an insert, you wait until it starts to thicken a bit then lift the insert just a bit, gently. You do this periodically until the embeds are set in the side, then pull the insert out completely. You let it get to the desired thickness then dump out the wax. You will have sides and a bottom. There are very good instructions for doing these over in the Techniques and Ideas on the left of the screen.

Edited to say: You can elimate the bottom if you want, by using the insert and just not moving it, just leaving it at the bottom for the duration. Not sure why you wouldn't want to have a bottom in it, but you can.

Edited to say: You can elimate the bottom if you want, by using the insert and just not moving it, just leaving it at the bottom for the duration. Not sure why you wouldn't want to have a bottom in it, but you can.

guess my thought was that if I put a votive in a glass container and put that in the hurricane, the glass would eventually get hot and could melt into the bottom of the 'cane. ????

guess my thought was that if I put a votive in a glass container and put that in the hurricane, the glass would eventually get hot and could melt into the bottom of the 'cane. ????

You use a high MP wax in them. Also I insert a cork disk in the bottom as extra protection, just in case.

No it wont melt the bottom as i make these all the time. Ive neaver seen one myself that didnt have a bottom. It would be just a shell without it. Lin

There was a lady selling them at a very large week long jurried Arts and Craft show in the city near where I live. Her's were large hurricanes with silk poinsettia inserts. They were very classy and beautiful. They had no bottoms and she had them over votives.

Didn't ask her why no bottoms. She sure had large crowds around her.

To each his own i guess, but i consider a hurrican to have a bottom. Hers would be more like a candle shade or something. Helping someone new with instructions though should be given the normal way of making them. Alan has very good directions to the left in techniques so to start i would follow them. You can allways do your own thing once you learn the basic way i guess. Good luck as i know your get it in no time. Lin