Safe Cosmetic Act

Scented

I don't know if non-members of the Soap guild can view this or not, but here's an update.

http://www.soapguild.org/industry/legislative-advocacy.php

Keep in mind that we can't just expect others to work for us. We've got to work too. In a nutshell, there were people in Washington this week and the word is the bill is coming up again possibly in late spring.

For those who may not be able to view the above link, this is a copy of the information I got.

Congress Hears From the HSMG

Earlier this week, I visited our nation's capital for scheduled meetings with several Republican and Democratic lawmakers representing Districts from New York to California. I was joined by HSMG member and supporter, Debbie May of Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Led by our Washington, D.C. advocates Mary Anne Walsh and Rick Limardo, we met with twelve Congressional offices over the course of two days. In our meetings we gathered information, expressed our concerns, and educated Members of Congress and their staff about the impact the Safe Cosmetics Act would have on the Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild and the industry.

Of particular interest was our meeting with the staff of Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (IL-9) and Congressman Ed Markey (MA-7) who were the lead cosponsors of last year's Safe Cosmetics Act (H.R. 5786). Joining us at this meeting was Donna Maria Coles Johnson of The Indie Beauty Network. Our meeting was productive and afforded us the opportunity to convey our concerns regarding the legislation and clarify directly to staff some of the unintended consequences the Safe Cosmetics Act would have on the handcrafted soapmaking industry.

We learned that Congresswoman Schakowsky intends to introduce a revised version of the Safe Cosmetics Act in the 112th Congress sometime in the late Spring. The timing of our visit enabled us to offer input and guidance as to how the bill could be improved upon in order to ensure the vitality of our industry. Equally important, we were told that we can expect an ongoing dialogue as the bill is drafted.

Another key meeting was with the legislative assistant for FDA and health issues to Congressman John Dingell, the former Chairman of the House Energy & Commerce Committee. Congressman Dingell has a keen interest in advancing safe cosmetics legislation, but is also committed to provisions to adequately accommodate small manufacturers, their businesses and the workers they employ. We and our Washington advocates were very pleased by Congressman Dingell's position and will continue to work with his office to promote the interests of HSMG members and the necessary protections for their businesses.

I left D.C. encouraged that our meetings on Capitol Hill were effective and that we communicated a clear message on how harmful the previously introduced Safe Cosmetics Act would have been to the handcrafted soapmaking industry.

Although our message was well received, we will and must continue to remain focused on educating Members of Congress and their staff about our industry and how additional regulation would be burdensome to thousands of small businesses across the country. Furthermore, the meetings were enormously valuable in making Members of Congress aware of the handcrafted soapmaking industry, the professional and safe standards that the HSMG actively promotes within the industry and the economic contributions each and every HSMG member makes in their local community.

Rest assured that while I am not in Washington, D.C., our government relations team of Mary Anne Walsh and Rick Limardo will continue to advocate on our behalf by meeting with Members and staff on this important issue and monitoring the latest developments on the Safe Cosmetics Act as well as other issues affecting the industry.

Along with our team in D.C., I am committed to making sure the U.S. Congress knows and understands our industry and that we want and deserve a seat at the table should any legislation move forward.

For more information on our legislative advocacy position and efforts, please visit our Legislative Advocacy web pages.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Leigh O'Donnell

HSMG President

Edited by Scented

Hi all,

Thank you for posting this Scented. It is important to get the word out to as many as possible.

Another trip is already being planned for next month so stay tuned for more details as they become available.

We really do need the support of the soapmaking community to continue our efforts. Please consider joining or donating, no amount is too small. There truly is strength in numbers. :)

Thank you!

Leigh