Candle Making Classes - To Teach Or Not To Teach

Hello All! Just wanted to get your opinion on something...

I've been making candles for about 7 years now and have recently placed some of them in a local gift shop on consignment. The owner of the shop asked if I would be interested in teaching a class on candle making at her location.

I just wondered if any of you have taught classes, and if so, how did you go about the process without giving away all of your hard earned knowledge and trade secrets?

As with any of you who have been making candles for any length of time, it has taken me countless hours of research and testing, not to mention the small fortune I have tied up in different types of wax, wicks, jars and F.O.'s trying to perfect my goods!!!

I wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks teaching a class, but am not sure exactly how to go about it.

Any thoughts or advice???

I gear candlemaking classes towards the kids - more into the grocery store paraffin and milk carton candles I used to make. They did use some whipped wax to "frost" their candles.

I did do a class on unscented emergency candles, too. Provided the wicks and they brought their containers and again the grocery store wax. I'd go with something simple if I was asked.

But teaching someone to make my container candles? Not me ... not unless they wanted to pay a hefty franchise fee.

Sorry, little off-topic. But I remember making candles in milk cartons way back in elementary school in the 70's. Put a wick in the carton, put ice cubes in and poured wax in. When the ice melted had really cool looking "swiss cheese" candles. I'm sure they were not meant to be burned, LOL. Something like that at a class for the kiddies would be fun. As far as teaching adults...nope. I would have to teach them what I consider the correct way, then they would have my candles! Heck, had a customer ask me to sell them some palm wax and I am still thinking that one over, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

Who are the classes for? If you're doing them, perhaps just put together certain weights of wax with your additives in them and just explain to people that there are various wax types on the market etc. Offer a wick, but you don't have to say what it is, just that there are x types of wick on the market and why they're important to a candle and offer scent and color ... I don't think you'd be giving away trade secrets there. And that's all saying that this is a hands on class. If it isn't just explain the basics of candlemaking.

Nope, I wouldn't do it. Oh I have taught some girl scouts the "dig a hole in the sand, stick a wick in the center and pour (my scrap) wax in. The kids were thrilled! But I wouldn't teach a class on container candles. You will have everybody there wanting to start a candle business the very next day!:laugh2:

I might consider doing it for a decent amount of money with only one thing in mind: Few of the students would follow through with candle making, but instead, would probably become your customers.

I wouldn't divulge the wax I was using or where it came from, and certainly I wouldn't divulge where I got the oils, but I would stress the importance of buying quality supplies, and perhaps even give a handout listing a bunch of different online suppliers.

It seems to me once the students figured out that there's more to making a good candle than just pouring wax over a wick, they would have a healthy respect for your product and would be happy to buy from you.

I might consider doing it for a decent amount of money with only one thing in mind: Few of the students would follow through with candle making, but instead, would probably become your customers.

I wouldn't divulge the wax I was using or where it came from, and certainly I wouldn't divulge where I got the oils, but I would stress the importance of buying quality supplies, and perhaps even give a handout listing a bunch of different online suppliers.

It seems to me once the students figured out that there's more to making a good candle than just pouring wax over a wick, they would have a healthy respect for your product and would be happy to buy from you.

I would agree.

I think most of the students who got a good look at how much quality supplies cost would be deterred from making them on their own. And a good chance they would see more of the differences between a quality one ad a dollar store one and choose to buy yours.

I think Sliver and Satin Ducky hit on an excellent point.

Pretty much teaching the class like Sliver explained...don't share your "secrets" But...making it a point to differentiate the differences of a well made hand poured candles versus the crappy stuff that is sold in a lot of stores. Things like centered wicks in containers vs. the candles you see where the wick is right next to the glass. Keeping the wick trimmed and proper way to extinguish a candle. Plus explaining how when "we" add fragrance oil...we add it to ALL of the wax...not filling the jar 3/4 of the way with unscented wax and then topping off with fragranced wax. I don't know how many people have asked me in all the years I have been pouring candles...Are your candles scented the whole way through? You can explain proper labeling and warning labels.

By the time they are done pouring a candle they will be so overwhelmed with all of the other info they won't even think about ordering supplies and opening a business the next week. lol

I'd pass. The downside of coming in with your supplies all weighed, mixed and ready to go is it just reinforces the misconception of how easy candlemaking is. And then that undermines the price of your candles sitting right there on the shelf. If this was a craft supply house paying you an appropriate fee it might be a different story. Or if you had supplies to sell. But generally speaking I don't think a gift shop that sells on consignment should be asking a consignee to come in and demonstrate how to make their product. For heaven's sake, most of the shops here have signs posted about not taking pictures, much less asking for demonstrations. However, we do have one local consignment owner who does request the occasional demo hoping to increase foot traffic in her shop. Thing is, she never, ever demonstrates her own products. Says it's because customers have already seen enough of her. Yeah, right. :rolleyes2

But if I did do it, it would totally include the business end of it - how much I have invested, the ongoing testing process, the frustration of losing a supplier, etc. I'd also come armed with more than a few examples of poorly wicked candles. Show 'em the mess and dangers of a blowout on a pillar, the waste of a tunneled candle, a blackened jar. Light a deliberately overwicked container and let 'em see a torch in action. Tell 'em about some of the tricks used to deceive buyers like only scenting the top of the candle or placing a drop of FO on the bottom of the lid. And then, of course, have a properly wicked candle there burning for comparison.

Your shop owner would be getting a whole lot more than she bargained for :wink2:

Thanks so much for all the posts...you've all given me some very valid points to consider.

The class that she (the owner of the gift shop) wants me to teach would be a hands on class for adults, however, now that I've read some of these posts, I'm actually thinking I would feel more comfortable teaching a hands on class for children! That's a cool idea, and one that hadn't even crossed my mind!

Kids are SOOOO much easier to work with, and I could let down my guard knowing that they aren't there to steal my secrets and set up shop across the street from me, haha!!!

Well, my wheels are spinning here...I'm off to do some brainstorming!!!

I hold candle classes at a consignment shop. I do a basic how to. I let them know about the various waxes and additives and tell them candlemakers test and often blend to get the right wax for them. In the class I just use straight 415 wax. I give them the basics and then they can "play" later if they want to expand on the concept. They usually don't pursue it.

I charge $15 a class. Each attendee makes a 8oz jelly jar candle from a choice of 2-3 scents. I offer a kit that makes 10 candles for an additional price (little above my cost because the consignment shop charges me a percentage as if it was a regular sale). The only thing they attendees need to do is bring a 1 or 2 cup glass measure cup and wear old clothes (apron). They get printed instructions to take home also.

Trudi

Interesting post, Trudi! It sounds like you're doing a great job offering enough basic information in your classes to inform your students of some of the science behind candle making without divulging everything you've worked so hard to learn. I like your approach!

Do you limit your class size to a certain number of students? How do you have them heat their wax? And how do you deal with 2nd pours on the candles, or does the 415 wax not require them?

I have required a minimum of 6 participants because I have 3 hours invested in driving for each class. Probably will change to 4 because it's been hard to fill 6 at this shop so far. Sorry I goofed on the class cost...it is $22 per person. Been a while since I did one. I don't do them in winter because the drive to MI lakeshore can be hairy. I think more than 10 participants might be a bit much. But you just have to try to see what you can handle easily. You learn what bugs need to be worked out and so far my participants have been understanding about any glips. Usually it's more like a group of friends sitting around candlemaking. My first one I had lots of nerves and goofs; but everyone said they thought I had been doing them for quite awhile...lol!

I arrive 1/2 hour early and get a presto pot of wax started melting. In my class I let them know the ways you can melt the wax. Little more flexible with soy wax I think. No second pours in 415 either. They do however need to leave their candle and pick it up later because it takes so long to set up. That is an issue I don't like; but not much can be done about it.

Trudi

I am new to candle making and I don't think anyone would go into the business knowing how much you actually have to spend to MAKE money (I would greatly stress that)! I have been greatly deterred in the past month because I thought it would be a "cheap way" to make money on something I enjoy...couldn't be further from the truth! Now it's more on the hobby side but maybe :rolleyes2 I'll try a business later type of thing...lol!

And then, there's the wicking issue! What a pain in the butt!!!! Once they realize how hard THAT is, they will go in another direction and probably not the candle one either.

I think a candle making class would be fun and I personally don't feel it would take away from your sales...and I say that from a student's point of view because I don't consider myself a chandler just yet! I think, as others have said, they will have much more respect for the products you make! And continue to buy from you or become a new customer!

Good lucK!