Question about scenting

Hope this is the right place to post!

I see all (most) of you use 1 oz per pound of wax.

It' s a thing that drives me mad!!! One bottle of scent per pound, and I'd better to come live in USA.

I pay FOs very very much, too much, I have to wait weeks before I can use a new scent I bought, and thinking to sacrifice that small, cute bottle all at once makes me sad!!!!

Ok, serious talking, I used my new scents in some pillar, I dropped in 10-12 drops of scent per pound. The cold throw is great, my house smells so good!

But yesterday I lit one of those candles (a small sphere) and I couldn't smell a lot... how could it be so different cold and hot throw? Maybe my sphere has a too small melt pool? I lit only for an hour or so.

TIA

Now you see why most of us buy FO by the pound, if not larger. It's much less expensive per oz that way. As for the throw, it will depend a lot on the wax and the quality of the FO. There are also some quality FOs that just don't throw well in some waxes. As a general rule, the larger the melt pool, the better the hot throw will be, provided you're using a good formula. The hot throw comes from the melted wax, so the bigger the pool, the more scent it'll put off. I have no idea how much 10 - 12 drops is but it doesn't sound like much. Most do use 1 oz pp, but many here use as little as .5 oz pp, some use 1.5 oz pp. It's a matter of preference and what you're satisfied with. This is where much of the testing comes in ;)

Thanks!

I'll test another pillar.

You're right, but to me it's so difficult using so much FO.

I have to order them overseas, in UK they cost much more then USA but shipping cost is a little lower. And not so many USA websites ship to Italy. I treat them like a little treasure, don't know if you understand!

But when I smelled that cold throw I thought I got it right! I'll do some more tests then.. I'll have to surrender!!

Thank you again!

Hi Sabrina,

I buy FOs buy the pound and since I don't make candles professionally, it does seem like a large expense, but I know I can use them next year also (don't think I'll be making bayberry, eggnog and pumpkin pie sented candles in the summer). :)

I don't know if it helps, but I've been buying FOs from Scent Works, and I do note they ship to Italy ( http://store.scent-works.com/whdoweshfaq.html ).

You can NOT estimate hot throw with cold throw. Actually I just recently bought a candle at a place called Early American Candle (Fallen Snow) - I thought it was a nice light scent. (I like lighter more complex scents myself). The cold throw was average I'd say, I've smelled stronger. But the hot throw is incredible, and thing is, the meltpool is no where near the 1/4" we all like to have in our container candles. I'm pretty sure its one of the "J" waxes.

Hi Scented and SatinDucky.

I know the bigger I order the cheaper is, but shipping rates are based on weight.

I used the site suggested me by HenryK, for 4 oz of FO the minimum shipping is $11 with global priority mail, for 12 oz is $15.

I don't think that shipping person to person will be much different, I just looked at USPS site. I cant' understand it very well, but for a significant quantity of FO shipping rates get high.

Maybe you could understand more, I don't know what you mean when you talk of co-op, but maybe it's interesting and we can talk about it.

Thank you very much, I've never found so many beautiful people as on this board!

Me again! I was looking at USPS site, for about 20-30 oz shpping rate it's not so expensive (using surface mail, delivery time 4-6 weeks).

If someone of you can help me and tell me if I'm right maybe we can talk of co-op.. if 20-30 oz are right quantities for co-op!

Trish is one of the fabulous coop hostesses ... she might be able to help you with some of your situations. I know she's busy, but just yell Marco to her in a PM and see what she says.

I'll check with my PO tomorrow about mailing to Italy and see what all we'd have to go through here. Cuz ya gotta get away from those sample sizes ;)

Yes, it was me. I hadn't seen the post by Scented and I told her in PM that I would check with the PO and what would be involved with shipping to Italy. I also explained what co-ops are and how they work. Since there's likely going to be a Pekas co-op in January, it seemed like it might be a good opportunity for her. If you want to do the checking on the shipping to Italy Scented, that's fine too. I don't know much about international things...lol.

Girls, I'm going to sleep, many thanks for all!!

Tomorrow I'll PM Trish (maybe one day I'll know why her nickname is Marco...)

A big kiss if you want it from Italy. Making candles is one thing I love, but since I found you has become more special. Now I'll name my pillars with your names if you don't mind!!!

:wave:

Thanks tlc!

The only thing we have to check is how high shipping rate can get, and to do it I need the help of someone of you to be sure to undertsand correctly how shipping rate are calculated.

It would be wonderful for me buying good supplies!

Thanks again

Sorry to butt in folks, but just want to say that if the co-op includes shipping to Australia - count me in. Sabrina, I know what you mean about treating each fo like gold - that's about how much it costs over here too (except for one place but their range is pretty limited so far). See, now you've started something. LOL. Mozzie