Base reviews

cedar_lea

So I noticed there wasn't a thread on this and I think there should be!

I just got my sample of Elements lotion base. It's thinner than I typically like. It seemed a little greesy at first, but then it absorbed pretty quickly & my hands are super soft. I think if I had dryer skin and used lotion on my legs it would be really nice, but since I'm mainly a hand lotion person it's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe I could add some cocoa butter and thinken it or something?

So what bases have you tried? I'm interested in more than just lotions, but I figured since the forum is about sharing our experiences with these things we should make a place and share.

Edited by cedar_lea

You are going to think I am nuts but try a small batch with 1% added soy oil (I use 1/8 oz per lb of regular veggie oil from the grocery store). I use the Bittercreek lotion base (LOVE IT) but out of the bottle it feels a little like you describe, still good just not exactly what I was looking for. I had tried it at the BC convention a couple of years ago with the added oil and loved it. It's a small additive but it takes the lotion right over the top and somehow seems to make it soak in even faster without the greasy feel. I know a few others that use sweet almond or grapeseed instead but I have stuck with the soy oil because I can get it inexpensively locally and figured why pay to have yet another thing shipped if I like they way it worked.

The two that I like the best are the GMH from WSP, and the Hemp from Aquatech. I've tried the EBC base, and I like that one also, but not as much as the Hemp. I don't like a powdery feel after using lotion, and the Hemp doesn't leave that. If you prefer a powdery feel, than you should try the GMH from WSP. I'm strange and like a slightly greasy feel after using lotion.

HTH!

Laura

I just got a sample of the fruit body souffle from Essentials and I'm in love.. it is wonderful. So far everyone at work loves it. No greasy feeling at all.

I've been using it on my face all week..... soft like a baby's butt... LOL

I LOVE the Goatsmilk lotion base from The Candlemakers Store. I have a couple of died hard lotion customers from me using this one. I had tried 3 or 4 others before.

My SIL's neighbor CAN'T run out of this. She said it's the only lotion that helps her very dry feet. Well...she ran out right before Christmas and told Joy to get her some for Christmas..they exchange every year. Well...my SIL doesn't live close to me (about 30 miles) and we were supposed to meet them for dinner Dec. 14th but at the last minute we had to go to a retirement dinner for a guy that works for my hubby. So...I wasn't able to give my SIL the lotions till Dec. 27th. She later told me that her neighbor opened the gift bag and promptly took off her shoes and socks and rubbed the lotion on her feet. She told Joy that she can't live without it.

That fruity body souffle from Essentials sounds devine. I will have to look into that.

I LOVE the Goatsmilk lotion base from The Candlemakers Store. I have a couple of died hard lotion customers from me using this one. I had tried 3 or 4 others before.

My SIL's neighbor CAN'T run out of this. She said it's the only lotion that helps her very dry feet. Well...she ran out right before Christmas and told Joy to get her some for Christmas..they exchange every year. Well...my SIL doesn't live close to me (about 30 miles) and we were supposed to meet them for dinner Dec. 14th but at the last minute we had to go to a retirement dinner for a guy that works for my hubby. So...I wasn't able to give my SIL the lotions till Dec. 27th. She later told me that her neighbor opened the gift bag and promptly took off her shoes and socks and rubbed the lotion on her feet. She told Joy that she can't live without it.

That fruity body souffle from Essentials sounds devine. I will have to look into that.

Do you add scent to the lotion and does it thin it down? I have found with so many body soaps and lotions they really get thin with FO.

The body souffle does sound wonderful.

Do you add scent to the lotion and does it thin it down? I have found with so many body soaps and lotions they really get thin with FO.

The body souffle does sound wonderful.

Yes I add scent. IMO it is not too thin and everyone likes the consistancy. I always have a couple of small testers for people to try before they buy...and of course if I'm not busy talking to other customers I ask them their opinion. I tell them they aren't gonna hurt my feelings or make me mad because I HAVE to know the truth. lol My 17 year old grandaughter loves my Love Spell lotion.

My notes for adding FO came from Shadrat...I haven't seen her around any messageboards in YEARS. Maybe you remember her...she posted a lot on another very popular board.

I forgot to add that if you are looking for a thicker base you could try the body frosting base from EBC. I sell that in addition to the BC lotion and both sell really well with great reviews from customers. I use double walled containers for mine but have one in a malibu tube for my personal use and it worked fine that way too. LOVE that too. I use the lotion during the day at work and the body frosting at night before bed because the dry heat from our pellet stove is killing my skin this year.

I just got a sample of the fruit body souffle from Essentials and I'm in love.. it is wonderful. So far everyone at work loves it. No greasy feeling at all.

I've been using it on my face all week..... soft like a baby's butt... LOL

That does sound really yummy!

So far I have only used the Goats Milk and Honey from WSP, I like it, does not thin out when I add FO. I also want to try the Body Lotion/Ultra Premium from New Directions but their shipping seem rather high so I didnt order it. :sad2:

I love the bases at TNS but my fave is the Shea aloe lotion. I use the whipped shea aloe butter a lot too. All the bases there are paraben free and use a natural preservative Tinosan.

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/category.aspx?categoryID=44

Awesome...I have been looking for a Paraben free lotion...I'm going to check it out! :yay:

I went to the Essentials site and they are OOS on the body fruit lotion :sad2:

I used the Goat Milk Body Glaze from KY for years and love it. Recently, though, I ordered the gmh from WHS since they had a shipping special and now prefer it to KY. I've also noticed my sales are picking up.

I have always made my own whipped and emulsified body butters but because of a time factor ordered the tropical butter cream from Aquatech. I liked it "ok" but wasn't wowed. I whipped in some argan oil and decided it was a keeper. However, when I reordered this week I found that they now charge shipping. I went ahead and ordered a gallon but will looking to do something else after I use this.

Are either of these bases greasy feeling after you put it on? I have very dry skin but hate bases that leave you feeling greasy after I use them. Also how thick are they I'm looking for something more on the thick side.

I love the bases at TNS but my fave is the Shea aloe lotion. I use the whipped shea aloe butter a lot too. All the bases there are paraben free and use a natural preservative Tinosan.

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/category.aspx?categoryID=44

Ugh, Aquatech was less painful to order from when they included shipping in their prices. However, it's the only place I can find the hemp lotion. :(

If you ship to a business address it's bunches cheaper. I did a test cart for just one gallon of hemp lotion and saved $4.00 on just that one item. I live in Arizona and they are in New York, so the shipping included was a great deal for me. Now I just ship to hubby's work...I'm retired and have no place of business anymore or I would ship to mine.

The more you order, the more the shipping goes down,

Ok so I don't have any more to add to the reviews, but I have played with the lotion base a little.

I added a little oil (I had spare grapeseed on hand so I played with that) and it helped a little. It did thicken & absorb faster.

I also decided to test my inital impulse with coco butter. It was awesome. I think I ended up liking 1/3 coco to 2/3 Elements base. I also did a quick scent throw test & it did really nice with the honey (OK I thougth it made the honey smell a little bit floral, but the boys (my roomates) who adored the honey when I first got the sample disagreed) I had been wanting to play with. I added a little grapeseed but the feedback I got was that it felt a little greesier. I'm letting it sit awile while my hands get unlotion covered so I can test more.

I also want to test it with other butters, shea for example, but that means more supplies!

Edited by cedar_lea

Yea I just remembered that . . .

So, what can you add to a base and what can't you? Or is it a situation that you just need to calculate out the proper perservative and add to it? I know that there are many things you can do to a base other than fragrance, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a do's and don't rules. I was also wondering about the whole oil/water thing too . . I'm not sure where to go looking to answer this.

I would not add preservative. It may not be compatible with what they already have in there, plus some are temperature sensitive and need to be added at a certain point in the emulsification process.

Maybe you are thinking of concentrated bases that are meant for you to add additional ingredients...i.e. add water for cream or lotion consistency etc.

I would call the manufacturer and ask if in doubt.

My favorite is WSP's Goat Milk & Honey lotion. My customers rave about it. I like that it is obsorbed into my skin leaving a powdery soft feel especially during the sticky, muggy, hot summer months.

Haven't tried Aquatechs Hemp base but have heard great things about it. I also want to try their Tropical body butter.

My favorite is WSP's Goat Milk & Honey lotion. My customers rave about it. I like that it is obsorbed into my skin leaving a powdery soft feel especially during the sticky, muggy, hot summer months.

Haven't tried Aquatechs Hemp base but have heard great things about it. I also want to try their Tropical body butter.

I'm strange, the powdery feeling is exactly what I don't like about the WSP base, but others LOVE it! I like how thick it is though.

The Aquatech Hemp base doesn't leave a powdery feeling, nor is it greasy. It's thinner than the GMH base, has a yellowish tint to it, but I didn't notice an odor. I like to have both bases, a thicker one (GMH), and a thinner one (Hemp). I have a girl at work who adores the GMH, and dislikes the Hemp, and another one who is the exact opposite. LOL

Just waiting on the taxes to get more Hemp! I think I've used 90% of it for myself! lol