Newbie Testing Votives...

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself..! Name is Bella, and I'm a newbie (3 weeks) Chandler.

I am currently working with Votive Blend 4794, 2.5" LX-10 Pre-tabbedWicks, and Peak's Blackberry Sage, Creme Brulee, and Patchouli! Patchouli!

I must say I did not want to use Wick Pins, or a Heat Gun - so I've been able to successfully & naturally work out the 'wick sinking into the shrinkage issue', as well as the 'pouring a certain way to create a smooth finish, etc'. I still have a lot of testing ahead of me.

I was curious about how many of you actually use Wick Pins? I see how easy they are and it seems to good to be true. lol Another item I was curious about was the Wick Setter for Containers...Or have some of you created your own Wick Setter by using a pen casing? :)

Anyway, I was glad I came upon this board, and I'm excited to continue my candle adventure! After burning so many candles over the years, and my main supplier running out of my favorite votive, I finally decided to make my own and I'm so happy I did!

P.S. Here's a photo (I apologize about the quality) of my first 4 batches: starting from the back (patchouli, blackberry sage, peppermint [EO], and creme brulee. Oh and that's a 6.5oz container I bought to experiment with my first container candle..I will start that when I finish votives! :)

xoxo!

0124111844.jpg

Hi Bella Rose-

I use the wick pins- cant say I have made to many votives as I just started candles a year ago and recently branched into votives

I really like them- I kinda have ADD and forget to check the wax to see when its congealed enough to set the wick so for me they are perfect- I fill and walk away and I have found they are super easy to wick afterward. Another thing that makes it nice is wick testing- if its not working out right away you can pull it out and pretty successfully change it so long as it hasnt burned for to long.

The only issue which is not much considering is that the pins themselves are a little smaller than the base of the votive mold so being as anal as I am I have to make sure they are dead center in the mold before pouring- I go crazy if the wick is even the slightest off center but that is a personal problem!! LOL

Your votives look great! Good luck and welcome- there are so many nice helpful people here and you will soon find the search function to be your new best friend- soo many good reads on everything!:)

Moonshine - Thanks for the response :) I am the same way with the wick tabs....I can't stand an off-centered wick! lol I wish the Wick Pins were not so expensive! Or else I'd mess around with them. I guess at some point..I'll have to. I can see the benefit with the wick testing as you mentioned.

:)

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself..! Name is Bella, and I'm a newbie (3 weeks) Chandler.

I was curious about how many of you actually use Wick Pins? I see how easy they are and it seems to good to be true. lol Another item I was curious about was the Wick Setter for Containers...Or have some of you created your own Wick Setter by using a pen casing? :)

Anyway, I was glad I came upon this board, and I'm excited to continue my candle adventure! After burning so many candles over the years, and my main supplier running out of my favorite votive, I finally decided to make my own and I'm so happy I did!

Bella Rose you were once a newby and asking for advice. If you cant share what you have learned I dont think you should be knocking the new people on this forum! Especially when you just became a new member! Thanks for the advice of giving up candle making.

You don't have to be perfect to be wonderful!

Votives look great. I am going to start soon I hope to play around with making pillars and votives. I've got everything I need (except the wick pins, ordered those today). And of course I have alot of reading to do before I start. I'm excited to try my hand at these to see how I like them and if it's something I want to add to my line down the road. For now I'm just going to play and test as these will only be for my own personal use. From everything I've read and heard people love the wick pins!! They seem like they would make wicking much easier. Good luck with your votives and your containers Bella.

Using the wick pins almost made votives too easy! Since this picture above I've switched to the igi 1274 mottled votives, personal preference ;)

Sorry I offended you, Crazzie...I don't go around bashing anyone. Communication via the internet can sometimes be mistranslated into seeming rude, or 'rash'...although it wasn't intentional....I don't expect people to agree with things I say, and I don't agree with everything I read either. I'm not out here trying to cause problems, sorry you feel that way. In any case, good luck with your candle making.

I'm not an ego maniac, or arrogant, as I've been called from people on this board..Sad! that I'm being accused of bashing newbs, when it seems that every time I post, someone has a problem with MY opinion. When you are actively involved in a public forum, you should expect and respect the views of other people, we all have different opinions.

If you don't like my response, ignore it! But I can tell you right now that I don't go bashing people intentionally on this board. I may disagree with things, but what would this board be like if we were all conforming zombies?? I definitely wouldn't be on here.

People have a hard time believing I have 'perfected' a soy container candle. I assure you, this container above ^ I have. Obviously, I have a few other container styles to get to the same level of amazingness, but damn I'm proud of what I've done!!!! If that's a problem with some of you, I AM SORRY!

Let me apologize to everyone who has been offended by my words on this board....like I said, it wasn't my intention. Now I need a glass of wine! sheesh

I have not used wick pins for my votives, however, that is about to change.

The mold that I use is like a pillar mold, bottom is the top of the candle. That's fine for a raw wick that falls over and extinguishes in the last little bit, but not fine if the votive is put in a glass for burning (which is what I am about to do).

So I either need to find molds that work the opposite way (which leads to boring top shapes) or I need to pin the mold and insert my safety tab and wick after releasing.

Tough call. I really like wicks that are solidified in the candle on cooling rather than a wick that looks like it was inserted into a hole.