Fuel smell in fo's?

se2653

What causes the off or "fuel" smell in fo's? I've noticed it with a couple vanillas that I've tried in lotions. The fo's were from different companies, so not sure if it was just an off batch, or if I'm doing something wrong in the lotion, or if they react with certain ingredients. Any suggestions? Other fo's are working great with wonderful scents- so just not sure why some get that fuel smell. Any suggestions/comments welcome from you pros out there!

Guest Expressive

I have never had a "fuel" smell from any FOs I have tried so I am not sure. Where did you purchase from, perhaps that could give us a better lead.

The only off smell I have had the misfortune of smelling in vanilla is commercial types like Renuzit and Glade. Their vanillas to me are nasty and kind of remind me of a possible "fuel smell".

Very Vanilla is a great vanilla scent and should not have a bad smell like you are describing.

Thanks for the input. The vanilla from organic creations did not smell good when I put it in lotion, and also the vanilla delicious from ds (put in lotion)- which really surprised me, as the others from them were wonderful! I'm continuing to test and experiment- I just want to make sure I'm using the fo's correctly too.

Guest Expressive

There are many possibilites but yes, keep testing. That is about the only way to do it.

Try cutting the oils with a carrier even.

Good luck!

Oh, there was a thread about this last summer. I think it was candle oriented, not soap, and blamed on the wick.

But I recall something about the FO as well.

Sorry I can't give you a link. Be creative with the search tool.

Now, on a digression, when I was in the helicopter business, the cheapest cologne was a gallon of jet fuel. A gallon used to cost about $0.90 and a drop on the neck used to last two days. It was a 5 year supply.

I get the fuel smell in every single orange scent I've tried, and I've tried a gazillion, it seems. I read somewhere on this forum that some people are sensitive to the fuel smell.

The only fuel smell I've ever gotten was from some orange clove FO.

Usually the fuel smell is a problem with citrus based scents in a burning candle. I have never heard of it being experienced with lotion but apparently that scent molecule is only noticeable to part of the population, others don't seem to detect it.

I am one who does smell it and it is quite unpleasant. I don't do too many citrus scents for this reason, but the fix was supposed to be to add a touch of vanilla. Odd that your vanilla is doing this - but some vanillas do have that icky commercial scent to them, not natural vanilla at all. Maybe you perceive it as "fuel like" and some of us just get "ick".

I Think she is referring to the chemically burnt type smell, I get it with all most all vanilla's and with many other random oils. Its just the oil there are others that don't smell that way. I separate candle and b& b oils some work fine in tarts but even if B&B safe they don't work in lotion, they smell plastic or burnt.

Sometimes I do get the chemical, burnt type smell, sometimes like fuel- maybe I'm more sensitive to this! Some of the fo work great, and smell wonderful in lotion, only a few have gotten this chemical or "ick"type smell. Thanks for all the input- I'll keep testing!