Guess what...another bad GG Palm batch

Well, I knew when I opened it and smelled the old familiar "crayon wax" smell that it was happening again. Yep, more bad GG Palm. This time from Aztec. Can't read the lot number, but appears to be different from the bad lot from CS a few months ago. This is pretty frickin irritating. What the hell happened to quality control? Pissed!

Steve

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried calling Aztec, no answer. Will try again in the AM. I made 9 testers, 8 with different FO's and one without. Unfortunately, this was my last case of GG, and I was making some FO testers for a meeting tomorrow for a private label account. Luckily it is only for scents and not for appearance. Thanks for the link, will contact them, too.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

I got a bag of GG Palm only 3 weeks ago from Aztec (it was a new shipment too, since they had run out of GG Palm and were waiting on a new skid to arrive) and even though the wax has the much smaller crystallization (just like the bags I had from CS before), all of my candles burn exactly as they should and they still have great scent throw. And yes, I did smell the "crayon smell" you mention when I opened the bag, but that goes away once the wax is melted...it seems to be having no effect on the actual performance of the wax.

I made my candles the way I always have and so far, other than the difference in crystallization there is no other discernible "issue".

I too had several bags of GG Palm from CS that were also "bad"...but I had the exact same results...the candles looked different but the burn and scent throw were exactly what I expected. So I continue to use it.

I am testing some new scents in it this week...and again...burn and scent throw are behaving as I expect...but the crystallization pattern is "dense" looking. So far that seems to be the only difference.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you have a better experience with this batch of wax than you did before!

I can only agree in part with what you're saying Traveler. The bad batch of GG is like getting another type of palm wax entirely. It reminds me more of crystal container palm. It has more of the characteristics of crystal palm and not GG.

The problem is when you order a specific wax you want what you pay for. I don't want the smelly bad wax, I don't want the changed crystal pattern. I should get what I pay for. Its more than annoying. I have a biz and the orders I fill I want to give customers the same quality wax.

Just talked to Aztec and they asked for an email to forward to IGI. So sent them an email explaining the problem and offering pictures. I do not want to go through the same thing I did months ago with the other bad batch. I do not want to send in samples, be lectured on how to properly pour, etc. I just want my money back and to find yet ANOTHER supplier. I realize it may burn the same, but it is not what I want or paid for. Seems like the manufacturer is just passing on more crappy product! Irritated! But the lady I talked to at Aztec was nice enough. Lets just hope they figure this out quickly and resolve the situation. PT Sumi Asih is just passing on crappy wax, simple as that. Why the importers (IGI) are not catching this is beyond me. Sorry for the rant, just thought this crap was over with. Now I have to go meet with a potential customer and try to avoid the appearance issue. Luckily they would not be ordering for a month or so.

Cheers,

Steve

Lot #0093029

Edited by Wessex
lot #

Candybee & Wessex,

Oh gosh! I wasn't trying to imply that Wessex should "settle".

I was simply reporting my experiences so far with the different looking GG wax. Thought it might help a little to know that the burn/scent throw seem to be good.

I recognize that my circumstances are clearly different and I am able to use this wax "as is"....if I could find the original GG palm I would be thrilled. However, I am discovering that many suppliers do not actually make a test candle from each batch of this wax that they get. I know that Aztec did not make any test candles from this batch because they sent my bag out to me the same day it arrived at their warehouse.

I am at a loss as to which vendor to turn to anymore, since it seems they could all be getting bags of this same palm wax mixed in with the "right" stuff. ...and I do agree, Candybee...this does seem to be more like the regular crystallizing palm wax now that I review my notes. And my circumstances being what they are, I can make use of this wax, I recognize, however, that not everyone can.

I hope, Wessex, that you are able to get the actual GG Palm and that your situation is happily resolved with Aztec and IGI! Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Candles and Supplies carry GG. Little more expensive than Aztec. They also are a distributor for IGI as well though. May have the same problem considering it comes from the same source.

Once again this is not good with Spring shows coming up. Why can't this happen during slow periods :)

I had resolved myself to go ahead and continue using GG after the CS fiasco. I am just too invested in it. But hearing about a second bad batch has got me very concerned. I really don't want to change waxes but if this continues I guess I have to reconsider again.:(

I am getting ready to get a bag from Peak. I have orders I have to get out, and all the stuff I have from Aztec is crap. The shipping is going to kill me, but with the shipping special right now it will be a little less painful, until I can get a pallet load. I am so disgusted with this issue right now...

This time I am blaming IGI and Aztec. They both dropped the ball. I guess it is profit over quality control! I know the issue a few months ago was brought to their attention, but it seems they were too lazy or just didn't care enough to do their due diligence with quality control of the products they carry. Piss on them! How long until all the suppliers have this bad stuff? Or did someone simply buy the rejects from CS? This may be a little harsh, but I can't deal with this BS any longer from suppliers.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

The IGI website said to talk with your suppliers first about wax issues, and Aztec said they were going to froward the email to IGI, so I figured I would let it play out that way first. Of course Aztec did not say anything about returning the wax, etc. So I am not really expecting much. I had alot going on that day, with meeting with some potential customers and getting packed to shoot down to Ft Bragg for the weekend, that I just kinda let it go. I have a bunch of stuff to do at the VA hospital tomorrow, so will not get a chance to talk to anyone. If I do not hear anything by Tuesday, I will start to raise a stink. I don't like to be a hardass, but I'm tired of suppliers blaming things on their distributers, etc. Maybe things will work out, we'll see. Been a long weekend, off to bed.

Cheers,

Steve

I don't blame the supplier unless they denied the whole thing. They got screwed just as bad as or worse. Think how much wax they got stuck with. And there are people that like the wax as is. Bet the manufacture will not take it back or give credit. If I were them I would put a disclamer on their website that states this wax doesn't act or look like GG Palm although it is represented as such from IGI.

I would call Morris and talk to a salesman, they know their products. I talked with a guy from IL and asked about non-crystallizing palm. He was great and full of info. I would not wait, I would call today.

http://www.morriswax.com/Contact.html

Edited by Sharon in KY

Morris carries IGI waxes, same as Aztec and many other suppliers. I think that in this case, since IGI is the importer who sells to many suppliers, contacting IGI directly by telephone is appropriate. They can call PT Sumi Asih or whomever manufactured the wax THEY are importing and putting THEIR company name on (IGI R2322A), and get to the bottom of the issues being reported. The suppliers have no control over the wax production, but they CAN help by leaning on IGI on behalf of their customers (and future sales), IMHO.

Ok, here is the news. Apparently IGI is switching suppliers for Palm Wax. Talked to the people at Aztec today and they are looking into whether or not IGI has the new wax in yet. They are being very helpful, and have said I could return the wax (I didn't ask about return shipping yet). I also ordered a case fron C&S yesterday and it came today. Very quick! So opened the box...crap same lot number...opened the bag...crap, same crayon smell...poured a tester...yep, same crappy non-GG crystal pattern. So apparently, IGI has screwed everyone.

OK, so let's look at this. IGI was aware of the issue several months ago with the CS palm. They accepted a shipment from PT Sumi Asih and either did not test it or did not care. So they are telling us they DO NOT care about their consumers! Profit over quality. That is what happens when you only have one large company cotrolling the market. They did not fulfil their due diligence, they don't care about us, they suck. I sent a scathing email to them (with no profanity or threats, LOL), and do not expect to get any kind of satisfaction. I am going to find a new importer if I have to start my own business to do it.

I would ask that anyone that has received the bad wax send an email to IGI and let them know what you think. Will probably not do any good, but maybe they will "Man-Up" and do the right thing.

Now I think I will mix a pain pill with a glass of wine and mellow with the TV :smiley2:

Cheers,

Steve

BTW, if anyone disagrees with me, I don't want to hear it...let me whine! Just kidding, LOL.

Edited by Wessex
being a smart ass

Just contacted Peak, and the wax they have is not lot #0093029, so taking a chance and putting in an order. Long way away, so shipping is a killer, but the shipping deal helps a bit. I guess this should be a "tweet", LOL. Of course, I have never tweeted. At least I can pour soy clamshells and tarts to my little hearts content until the wax gets here :).

Cheers,

Steve

Emailed C&S about the wax and they quickly got back to me and said they would refund the wax if I shipped it back to them. Not sure about shipping yet. They will check their warehouse to see if they have another lot number, but are short handed due to snow, so will get back to me. Have not heard back from IGI, what a surprise...not. So I am the only one having this problem with the palm wax? Or just one of the first? Or am I just the only one bitching about it, LOL!

Cheers,

Steve

It seems like someone else mentioned the aztec wax earlier this week. I almost ordered some from C and S the other night...but ended up backing out of my cart since something came up. Guess I will go ahead and order from Peak. I've been out of GG for several months so it hasn't affected me. But then...I'm a hobby maker...so don't order wax often. Complain away....it's great info for those of us who are looking to order and aren't sure where to get this wax lol.

my bad...it was debbie who asked if they were discontinuing...lol

Edited by debratant

Newest update. Aztec will be getting a new shipment from IGI next week. IGI has new wax in and has asked them (and I can only assume everyone else) to discontinue selling the old lot. Aztec said they will replace the bad stuff with the new wax. I hope they get to pass on the costs to IGI somehow. Still have not heard anything from IGI :mad:. I am seriously looking into importing the wax myself. Then I could sell it at cost to all the nice people on Craftserver. Just kidding, moderators, I know who sponsors the board!

Well, one lesson I've learned, don't let your wax supply get below two cases before you order more. I'm lucky that I don't have any big orders at the moment. Who knew I would be glad about not having a large order!

Cheers,

Steve