Craft Fair Price - Opinions wanted

Judy, USMC

Local craft fair is pricing their spaces at $85 ... here's the details.

Indoor show with about 125 spaces available.

Space is 6ft deep (front of table to back of booth) & 7ft aisle frontage.

A 5ft table is provided with a single space rental, 6 footers for each space if 2 or more spaces are rented (chairs included.)

Electricity provided - no extra charge.

3 hour set up (6 to 9 pm) on Friday.

Fair Hours Sat 9am-5pm; Sun Noon-4pm.

Restricted to hand-made items only; no Direct Marketers or Resellers.

Approximately 2,000 buyers total for both days and will be held the first weekend in April.

Do you think it's a Reasonable price or Too high?

Thanks in advance for any comments ....

Is this an established show? I think the price is high for a spring show but I don't know your area. If it is a proven show, maybe, but I still think its high. If its a first show, no way would I pay that.

If it were me, I would probably attend as a customer this year instead of as a vendor. I would go two times, early in the day to judge the crowd and then go back later in the day and talk to some vendors about how well they did. Just to see what the general consensus is. That's a lot of money for a tiny space. What type of building is it?

Edited by deb426

I think it also matters as to whether your area has good Sunday sales. In my rural area, Sundays are rather dead so the second day of a show is really hit or miss, alot of "lookers." If people are used to shopping on Sundays in your area, then that would help justify the price.

Agree about first time shows. Never do them!

If it's established, it's a fair price. When I was doing shows, I liked to keep it in the neighborhood of $50/weekend, but for a juried, "crafts only" show, $85 seems about right. I paid more for highly advertised, solidly established shows.

Here is some info & prices for a large flea market that is held once a month in our area.

Inside Booths

Corner Spaces $80.00 (highest)

Building 1 (10x10) $75.00 ( all other booths inside or out are the same)

OTHER RENTALS:

Eight Foot Tables $6.00 | Chairs $3.00

Pegboard (8x8 freestanding) $6.00 | Electric Extension Cords $5.00

Poles (Set of Three 8 Foot) $6.00

Times

Friday 5:00 PM -- 9:00 PM

Saturday 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM

Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

I read somewhere (I don't rememer where now) that when deciding on a show, expect 1-3% of the attendance to purchase from your booth. So, that is between 20 to 60 people. I'm not sure how much your stuff is, so I'll just say $5... Your looking at $100-$300 in sales for the show. I know this is an estimate since there are people who will buy more than $5 worth of stuff, but i would say go for it. The only time I would say no even with these numbers is if it is the first time show (like the others said) because they really don't know what the attendance would be and are just estimating based on population of the area.

So plug in your numbers (I use my main product price) and see what you get.

I agree with what has been written, if there are no numbers to substantiate the fee (proven numbers not estimates) - I would be skeptical. Price wise it's not that bad, but consider "those putting on the show" don't have any track record. I hear from so many lately that shows are poorly attended or those attending are not making purchases, I steer clear of them. The cost of a show like that could easily be absorbed, but the cost of stocking the booth could be piggy bank busting!

I don't think its a good price at all. One 5foot table is not going to fit very much product at all. You will be crammed into this spot with very little table space and very little sitting/standing area. Think of how little room you will have for your money/bagging area. No room for 42.50 a day! I wouldn't do it.

Edited by so-soy

A well established show usually tends to draw more people. But times have changed in this economy and I have found that some of the older more established shows just don't draw the crowds anymore. Another thing that changes is population. People move. Once thriving neighborhoods can die out after a few years.

What does bring in the customers may very well depend on what is going on during the show. I'm finding that the shows I do well at are the ones that have drawing power as in hot meals, entertainment, goodies, fun activities going on.

A show I went to this past year that is well established for 30 years was dead. I made around $30 on Sat and $25 on Sun. While a brand new show I did on their 1st year I made almost $300 the 1st day because they had activies, food, entertainment, music, etc. I did well because the show was well organized and in an area that needed a craft show. (Another way a show can fail is if they oversaturate the area with craft shows.)

My advice; check out everything. How many years has the show been held; juried or not; what is the attendence; will there be hot food available; snack foods (kettle korn, pork rinds; ice cream/italian ices/snow cones, corn dogs, funnel cake, etc.); baked goods sold; fun activities; entertainment; music; is their parking for customers; adequate lighting; fun activities for the kids (face painting, crafts, etc.); adequate show staff; clean facilities.

Also, is it a themed show? Do you dress a certain way? Is the show geared more towards art? jewelry? garden or all handmade crafts? I once did a spring show and found out that half the vendors were jewelers and thats what they advertised that I didn't see until I got there. Consequently the jewelry booths got the lions share of the customers. So check to make sure its all about variety or that your products 'fit' right in.

Also check to make sure what other activities are going on in town that may conflict with the craft show. Eg.; will there be a parade? Car show? Another craft show? Ask yourself if the activity will draw people to the craft show or away from it. Eg.; a parade that goes thru the area will draw people to the show once its over. A car show across town will draw away your customers.

Todays craft show customers want the full enchilada. A lot of people don't have money to take vacations anymore so craft shows are often an alternative. Personally, I now look for very well organized shows as opposed to simply well established. Thats how you will make money.

Here's some further information. The fair has been going on for over 20 years. It is on a military base. In the immediate area there are about 30,000 active duty and another 70,000 either family or retirees. The building has a lobby (no vendors) and 2 rooms each measuring 48ft by 120ft. There will be food and a bake sale. There is a variety of crafts being sold.

Found out that spaces usually sell out in a month ... and they always seem to have a list of people waiting for an opening. Some crafters have been selling there continuously for decades. They advertise in the weekly base newspaper and also in the "out-in-town" paper Sunday, Wednesday and Friday prior to the date and also Saturday (the first day of the fair.) I think they also get some free media ads.

There is no theme. There are only 4 pure craft shows in the area per year (spring & fall); 2 held on the base and 2 held by a crafter's guild out in town.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

In my neck of the woods that would be a good price, I usually pay $50 -$70 for a 6hr show, one day and no electricity. But like everyone says it all depends, from what you have posted it sounds like it has been around for awhile so it may be worth the gamble to give it a try, otherwise just go as a customer this year and vendor next year!

Is this a Spring show? Cuz my reps have a *itch of a time selling candles/home scenting items at shows in the Spring. B&B and Soap does well, but not candles. Just askin'

Abbie's right. Spring shows are not big in candle sales. But do be sure to bring a lot of spring and floral scents if you do candles; lavender, honeysuckle, lilac, rose, daffodils, etc. Other scents like rain, linen, clean type scents, and fruits like berries, strawberries, black raspberry vanilla, white tea & berries, etc sell well in spring. Also bring lots of smaller sized candles if you have them like 2, 4, and/or 8 oz sizes.

I don't think the vender fee is too high but thats based on my area. Spring shows (the good ones) can top $175 or more. But a top price does not guarantee good sales.

If you have any vendor friends you can call ask them if they have done the show before. Thats what I would do. I would also call the show manager and ask a bunch of questions.

I think too that the space is really small. The 1 day indoor show that I used to do (they stopped having the show) the last year that they had it I was able to use 1 of their tables plus I took 2 book cases of my own. I called the person in charge to get permission to use them. I think the spots were 8' X 8'. I didn't put my table on the "front line"...instead I put the bookcases on the corners of my spot at an angle facing the main aisle and then about 2' behind them was my table. That last show that they had I got a lot of compliments on my display. The other years I used 2 tables in an "L" shape.

This was a March show and I did just okay every year...the last year I did a LOT better. So I DO think that my new presentation did help sales.

I take all of my scents to every show...well except obvious Christmas scents...I was always surprised that people didn't buy more florals at spring shows. They still liked the baked scents and even some of the spicey fall scents. You just never know what people are looking for.

One thing...if they have a waiting list for vendors then it sounds to me like it must be a pretty good show. From talking to other vendors at shows that I have done...they would tell me about great shows but DID tell me to get on the waiting list. I was very lucky to be able to get in to a show here in my town that another vendor told me about. She gave me the woman's phone # and I called her right away...months before the show in October. She put me on the list and said she would mail me the application. I applied the same day I got it and was accepted. So if you decide you want to do the show...I would get the app and money in right away.

This show is just one of many things going on at our Farmers Fair. The fair has been going on for over 100 years...it's a small town so it is a big deal for the locals...lol. The fair is over a 4 day period of time and the schools in the area close on Friday because of all the activities. The craft show is Saturday from 9-4 and the first year my whole day was non-stop. I use receipt books from Office Max. I took a 1/2 full one and another full one and by lunch time I was out of receipts...had to use a tablet to keep track of what was selling. Thank God my daughter came around noon and was able to help me. I had as many as 8-10 people standing with their arms loaded down with candles and lip balms (they sold well at that show) I couldn't keep up with writing receipts, taking their money and making change and then bagging their candles. I was really happy to have all of the business but ready to scream for HELP!

Good luck if you decide to do it. I love doing shows. As you can see...I can "type" a lot...I also talk a lot...sometimes too much. But I love meeting and talking to new people.