base vs soap

cedar_lea

I know this is probobly another dumb question that could be answered by searching the forum . . . but I'm not sure where to even start looking.

What's the difference between a melt and pour soap and a base? can any soap be melted down, rescented and stuck in a mold?

Melt and pour soap and base are one in the same. I guess you can say that "melt and pour" is the method or style. "Base" is the component that you use to create melt and pour soap. Suppliers carry melt and pour soap bases in a variety of styles. There are goats milk bases, honey bases, aloe bases, etc... All of these bases make melt and pour soap. All of these bases are generally unscented and uncolored unless specified.

You can remelt any base down again once you have molded it into soap. But I am not sure what you mean by "rescented". Once a soap is scented, that is pretty much it. You can alter the scent to an extent, but you cannot get rid of the original fragrance that you put into it when you first made it.

I am guessing that someone can come in and explain it better.

Edited by Noodle

OK what I meant is I know that melt and pour base is a soap that can be melted down and altered.

What makes this different from a finished soap. Can all soaps be melted down & color or fragrance added (if they aren't at full scent load of course)

Basically yes, most soaps can be remelted, fragrance and color added.

It really depends on what type of soap you are trying to remelt, what fragrance and color you want to add to already made bar of soap.

You are altering a completed bar of soap, so whatever you add to it could make it not smell pleasant and change the color to something you didnt want.

If its a light fragrance you could try to enhance it, like if its vanilla you could add maybe cherry, but as for coloring if its already colored and you want to add more, you could end up with brown or gray or a color you didnt want.

IMO its best to start with a unused base if you are a beginner.

There is also the hand milling technique. Where you make an unscented cold process soap, grate it, add some water to melt the soap down, add fragrance etc and mold. It's a huge pain in the ass.

Melt and pour bases melt smoothly and easily, cold and hot process, not so much.

A little clarity might help here. You use a M&P base (melt and pour) to make a M&P soap. A M&P base is glycerin based soap that comes in a block anywhere from 1 lb to 50 lbs. You cut off a chunk or how much you need for a recipe and melt it down.

M&P bases or M&P soaps are not the same as commercial soaps. There is an infamous video on the web of someone melting down a bar of Dove soap in the microwave. The soap didn't 'melt'. It foamed until it filled the microwave with sudsy foam. Obviously they could not melt it down to make a new bar of soap with it. Wish I could find the video its a hoot.

You can try to melt commercial soaps but I would not advise it. As someone mentioned you can shred the soap and try and make a milled soap. Thats what some do with those pesky leftover pieces of soap they have to save money. You could also 'soak' it in water but you will have a very gummy, slimy, goo that you can still wash with if you like that sort of thing.

For myself, I'd stick with M&P. You can remelt a M&P soap down and remold it into something new. I never throw out leftover bits of M&P soap or base as it can always be remelted and used. Some remelted soaps have been my favorites.

Thank you. That was exactly the information I needed. I was walking past the soap aisle in the grocery store & realised that I didn't know the answer to that question.

Obviously I'm not silly enough to assume that I could melt and repackage commercial soap, but I wondered if it wouldn't be a way to go through the process as a learning experiment & simply couldn't answer why that was or wasn't a good idea & that was disturbing.

Are all melt and pour soaps glicerine based than?

I've fallen in love with a FO that wants to become soap and so I'm mentally feeling out the idea of melt and pour and working with molds and stuff, since somewhere along the line I ordered a couple molds it seems like my melt & pour experimentation is inevitable.

Are all melt and pour soaps glicerine based than?

M&P bases are all glycerin based soaps whether they are clear or opaque. The opaque bases have titanium dioxide added to make them white.

There are now some CP M&P bases. Bramble Berry has one and I have seen them somewhere else but don't remember where. Haven't used the CP bases yet but I do know that they can be used very successfully to make salt bars.

I use the cp m & p base in clear and white. I like it. I add oils, butters, and honey to it. Peaks and Brambleberry's both carry it. I order from both of them and there is not a difference in the base.

The cp mp can be wrapped in paper or not at all. I put mine in organza bags with a hang tag label.

There is an infamous video on the web of someone melting down a bar of Dove soap in the microwave. The soap didn't 'melt'. It foamed until it filled the microwave with sudsy foam. Obviously they could not melt it down to make a new bar of soap with it. Wish I could find the video its a hoot.

I want to see this!! LOL Off to search.......:tiptoe: