Communication is key but what’s the definition?

funkymonkey66

So I have been hearing from a few vendors that customers are complaining about lack of communication and it’s becoming a major pet peeve, but I would like to know exactly how one defines communication in the first place.

Do these customers expect to get a thousand emails throughout the order process“Hey Ms.so and so I printed out your invoice… now I’m pouring your candles” next day… “I am putting the labels on them… bubble wrapping them, here come the peanuts… reloading the tape gun we’re almost there… Printing the shipping label.. Post lady is walking up the drive way. And package looks to be on the truck now …. Down the street it goes?

I don’t know about the rest ,but some of these people are either out of their minds, don’t know what the definition of communication is or just looking to make a cyber BFF. I do not have time to email every customer every day . I get the order -they get an emailed receipt, the only other thing they hear from me is an automatic shipping notice with a tracking number when the order is done. Exactly what the hell are we supposed to communicate? My understanding was if there are issues, damages to the package or if the customer had a question on a scent or product the shop vendor addresses the matter via communication and providing that service would intern be good customer service. Other than that, what exactly more are we supposed to do?

Yeah I’m being sarcastic in the second paragraph but seriously am I missing something here?

I think it really depends on the customer. There are some huge discussions on this on etsy.. and some people saying "I hate to be contacted!" and others saying they DO want constant updates.. so its hard to tell!

I used to send them a message when I shipped, to let them know it was on the way..before I did delivery confirmation.

But now i dont because paypal notifies them...

and i feel like if i send them another email, or etsy convo, its totally overkill.

GAH. I understand your frustration, believe me. Its REALLY hard to know whether its better to update constantly, or let the system do its work. I do try to answer customer emails and convos asap.. and if its custom work, like a custom candle pour or a custom batch of soap, I keep them updated as often as needed.. "I'll pour on the 10th.." then on the 11th.. "poured and packaged, will ship tomorrow"... but thats it.

I buy a lot of merchandise over the internet. Usually, I receive 2 e-mails for a purchase.

The first is an acknowledgement that the vendor has received the order for "X items at Y price plus shipping and the shipping method, UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc.", and also an estimated time that the order will be shipped and an order number.

The second e-mail is sent when the order is actually shipped and usually includes a tracking number.

To me, that seems sufficient and also the standard for most internet or mail order businesses. However, there will always be those customers who feel like they have a right to monopolize your time when they make a purchase.

Are you talking about custom made orders? Do you make all your products to order?

For my website I have candles and soap already made and ready so I can fill orders the same day. Never had a complaint yet. My website sends an auto email to the customer when they complete their order. Then I send them another email when the order is shipped along with tracking info. Thats just standard practice.

Actually I can understand that you would get customers contacting you a lot more than usual if you are custom making products to order. That takes time and can delay shipping. Even if it says on your site that custom orders may take x amount of time to fill it may still annoy and make some customers anxious as they never know for sure exactly when it will be ready or shipped.

Personally I wouldn't blame them. Thats why on my website I only list ready made products. If they want a custom order they have to call me or email me. That way I can discuss the process and let them decide.

Are you talking about custom made orders? Do you make all your products to order?

For my website I have candles and soap already made and ready so I can fill orders the same day. Never had a complaint yet. My website sends an auto email to the customer when they complete their order. Then I send them another email when the order is shipped along with tracking info. Thats just standard practice.

Actually I can understand that you would get customers contacting you a lot more than usual if you are custom making products to order. That takes time and can delay shipping. Even if it says on your site that custom orders may take x amount of time to fill it may still annoy and make some customers anxious as they never know for sure exactly when it will be ready or shipped.

Personally I wouldn't blame them. Thats why on my website I only list ready made products. If they want a custom order they have to call me or email me. That way I can discuss the process and let them decide.

For me personally I do not get complaints of that nature. I was speaking as a general statement based off of recent statements by other vendor’s customers.

As far of my business, everything I make is made to order. That’s my niche; I’m kind of like Burger King just not nearly as fast. LOL. Realistically it’s the only way I could carry so many scents. I have very few readymade products and turnaround time is what it is and my customers wait patiently, well at least most of them, I have a few that want it yesterday. I let them know up front that it’s 7-10 business days and either they except my terms or they don’t. There are a million other places to buy candles and I am not the type to over backwards to make a sale yet surprisingly enough I do very well. I don’t overkill on communication, if I had a store front and got to know people face to face sure, I would chit chat with then but as far as the internet side of the business, I don’t care to make my customers my friends.

Every time I place an order with Natures garden I never expect Cathy to shoot me an email every step of the packaging process. It’s an online order, and it gets here when it gets here. I would only expect to get contacted for and out of stock or something like that. I just can’t figure out what people want.

Even though our customers get the standard generated "receipt" email with their order, I still send a simple "personalized" email thanking them for the order and when they can expect it to ship. Nothing lengthy, but I like doing that one extra step -- I guess I like giving them the simple acknowledgment of receiving their order....they don't have to wonder then if they ordered from a place that just has stuff for sale but doesn't actually check their emails for weeks or months at a time.

Even though our customers get the standard generated "receipt" email with their order, I still send a simple "personalized" email thanking them for the order and when they can expect it to ship. Nothing lengthy, but I like doing that one extra step -- I guess I like giving them the simple acknowledgment of receiving their order....they don't have to wonder then if they ordered from a place that just has stuff for sale but doesn't actually check their emails for weeks or months at a time.

I do the same. I like the personal touch and many repeat customers have said how much they appreciate it.

Anybody order from labels by the sheet? You get an email acknowledgement for the order; an auto email from the owner; a confirmation email showing your purchase; then the shipping email. Its a little overkill but I'm not complaining.:laugh2:

Actually, I appreciate it...they are super fast too! Great company.

All very good points. I agree one short generic follow up email is enough for an extra touch and I am sure that is appreciated.

Based on what these people were talking about their customers literally expected daily email updates. I just felt bad for the vendors, if they had to email every single customer multiple times when did they get the time to pour the orders? I guess you have to feel out the customer and tweak the communication on an individual basis. And you're right there is just those kinda people out there that crave more attention and want to eat up your time. It's even worse when they are high maintenance and cheap.:laugh2:

OMG I know exactly what your talking about... We have had a few in the past that all is good on the first order and then from there they call again or email again and just want to "chat".... Not like were running a business or anything RIGHT!! LOL

Now don't get me wrong, we love our customers and were sure everyone else does too, but come on... *example* We have this one customer that will call at 2:30AM.... Yeah AM, just to see how we are??? It got so bad with this one that I actually refused to take orders from her anymore... told her flat out... "If you need anything, here's our website, NO MORE CALLS!" Now this could be part my fault to and Ill admit it, I am a very sociable person and do love to talk, so I do try to "friend" our customers, its just the way we are =) But maybe that's a bad thing at times??

Sometimes I do wonder tho, do they really expect what you put in the 2nd paragraph?? Seems a bit much to us!

Our policy is to send them a confirmation "we got your order" email and then the "here's your shipping info" email, other then that none... now if a issue arises then of course we are in contact =)

Now personally, if a company sent me 6 emails about 1 order, honestly, I wouldn't care. As long as the order is on its way then were good to go, but were not going to contact the business "pestering" them about an order..... Ok I lied, we did with Merch-Mart on a warmer order that took 2 weeks to even ship and their CS... well... what CS?? Not to mention over 1/2 of the order was damaged..... UGH!

Enough ranting here, off to find my drink =)