Having trouble with finding a good scent...

KMetz

Using EcoSoya CB Advanced (1 lb at a time) and have tried about 8 different sample scents (1 oz) and am not at all pleased with the scents I've tried. So far, 8 different pour into it and I'm getting discouraged. Does anyone know of a scent I should try? Thanks!

A search on this site will reveal to you that CB Advanced is notorious for no HT. Sorry :(. There may be some FO that throw well in it, but you will only find those by testing each one. Maybe someone will come along that has used this wax and found a few that did well and post them. Good luck in your candle making!

I finally gave up on it. You can make a real pretty candle as long as you don't want any CT/HT. I never did find a scent that performed really well. There is a new brand called Ecosoya Excel that some had good results with. If you search in the Vegetable Wax forum you should find quite a few of the testing threads.

Also, do a search in the forums on the different types of waxes. Lots of good discussions on why people chose a particular wax. That will help if you decide to try another brand.

After testing quite a few waxes I settled on 464. I'm now making a parasoy blend with 464 as my base. Even for my melts, I use 464 with Ecosoya PB to bring out the best in both waxes. It was a lot of trial and error and some choices I made for myself. As you will see in the treads, people get different results even when using the same wax. Just search the forums and keep testing. You'll get there! :cheesy2:

J

I also used to use the CBA and gave up on it for its poor HT. Just wasn't worth it to me. It was designed for a creamy frost free soy candle at the expense of HT. It has a great CT but very poor HT. You will have to experiment and test a butt load of scents to find ones that work well in it. Good luck!

Just wondering how long are you curing these before you are testing? I use that wax and I have great CT and HT with it. Yesterday I finally put my Pomegranate tart in the warmer (which is in the back bedroom/bathroom) and I could smell it down the hall into my kitchen. I usually let mine cure for atleast a week before I test them. This one had cured for about a week and a half or so. What supplier are you using or are they different suppliers?

464? What kind of wax is that? I've been letting them cure for at least a week before I test but overall, I'm not impressed with the Ecosoya so far. I love the way they look and melt but just not the scent throw.

Any other soys that I can try? I'm a newbie so being specific is really appreciated.

Thanks!

464 is Golden Brands 464, a container soy wax.

Cheers,

Steve

There are alot of different container soy waxes out there. My advice is go to the website of the supplier you use and see which types they carry. Also do a search here and you will get TONS of info on them. You will get information overload.

Edited by Wessex

GB464 is a soy wax with a soy wax additive. I tested it and loved it but long story short...the person that I bought it from was small time. She only ordered 1 pallet each of GB415, 444 and 464. When I went to order more she was OOS on the 464 and said she couldn't afford to buy it since she still had a lot of cases of the 415 and 444 left. She eventually went OOB as both supplying wax and her candle making business. She was less than an hour from me so I could have picked up to save on shipping.

Moved on to Candlewic's CBL130 and having been using it for about 2 years but...may be doing more testing with the 464 since it is a lot cheaper now than the CBL130.

I used straight 464 and had a great hot throw with the scents that I tested. Candles were creamy looking and very little frosting if any.

Hi- I am new as you can tell but I have been reading and researching the information on here for the last month or so. I finally decided to get some wax and dig in. I purchased the Ecosoya CB Advanced because I found a really good deal on it. I made some tarts a week or so ago with it and I used two different scents from 2 different companys and they both seem to be working really well. I did add coconut oil and vybar to help with the HT. I burned them for the first time last night and I could smell them on the 1st floor of my home and the burner was on the second floor. I do plan on trying the KY parasoy to do a comparison.

464? What type of wax is that?

Like others have said, 464, or GB464, is from Golden Brands and a container wax. Your post is in the Wickless forum but you are using CB Advanced, which is also a container wax. Wasn't sure if you were making tarts, containers or both.

Ecosoya does have a PB brand (Pillar Blend) which is used for pillars, tarts and votives. I mix the PB with the 464 to get a stronger HT from my melts. I tested many variations and that was the combo I was able to get to work best.

Like everyone said, do a search on the site and you will get TMI. But, it is good information and you can really learn from it. If you want to try some different waxes without breaking the bank, look at The Candlemakers Store and Aztec International. TCS sells soy wax by the pound and Aztec by the 5 lb bag. That way you can try several different waxes to find out what you like. Everybody has their favorite. But, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work the same for another. Like Queensh, she has had good results with the CB Adv, for me, I ended up with paperweights.

Also, if you haven't seen them yet, there are a couple of helpful links. One is the supplier abbreviations, with links to their websites. And, the other is Suppliers by State. Might be someone close to you. Always a plus.

Supplier Abreviations:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492

Supplier by State:

http://www.suppliersbystate.com/

Hth. Good luck!!

J

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Just be aware that almost every person has their own favorite for what works best for them. As an example, ProudMarineMom likes a PB/464 blend for her tarts. I have tested lots of blends and found I like a PB/444 blend a bit better than the 464 blend. It is all personal preference. So get ready to do alot of small batch testing. But it is actually quite fun and entertaining. Oh, and the "rejects" are usually quite useable and will keep you stocked for personal use for quite a while! I have about 6 months of personal use tarts left over from my testing, and they are all pretty good (got a "Butt Naked" tart going now).

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Proudmarinemom or wessex, could you please share the ratio you use for the pb/444-464 blend? Right now I am not satisfied with straight pillar blend because the CT/HT is not strong at all. I even add a tad more FO than recommended.:sad2:

Proudmarinemom or wessex, could you please share the ratio you use for the pb/444-464 blend? Right now I am not satisfied with straight pillar blend because the CT/HT is not strong at all. I even add a tad more FO than recommended.:sad2:

Not everyone is willing to share their hard-earned, expensive testing results, so may I recommend you start testing at 50/50. Test that and then make adjustments accordingly. 464 is softer than 444, so that may change the ratio a little. It is all personal preference and testing to see if YOU like the results. HTH!:smiley2:

I actually use 3 different soy waxes in my tart blend. It is what I found works best with the FO percentage I prefer. My advice is just start blending away, it is very interesting to see the different results. It also gives you a better understanding of different wax properties.

Cheers,

Steve

I previously used a mix of the Ecosoya advance and pillar blend for wickless jars and melts, and for the most part had very good HT. I started back into the candles these past few months and am still having good HT. I've only tested a few FOs so far. The only one I didn't get a good HT with was Hollister, but after researching, I've found that there apparently isn't a Hollister FO that has a good HT. Good luck and keep on testing!

Edited by StephD

The link below contains information about CBA and NGI's "fragrance program."

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=891804#post891804

There are better choices for scented soy wax projects than CBA. My best suggestion is to try Ecosoya PB or another soy container wax mixed with some stearic acid or palm wax to harden the wax slightly. Container blends are not designed for molded wax projects. You can make them work by cooling the molds so the tarts pop out, but they have little tolerance for warm environmental conditions.

I personally use NatureWax C3 for tarts, but they are not as pretty, more prone to frosting and soften more easily when the temp rises much above 78°F than EcoSoya PB. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952