Cat in the Wax

Would anyone happen to have any ideas of how to get Wax off of a cat's paw?

As I was pouring my tarts on the kitchen counter my 1yr old kitty decided to climb on top of my cabinets. I normally shoo her down, but she saw I was busy and "seized the moment". After I was done pouring the phone rang and as soon as I turned my back to answer it all I heard was thud and I instantly knew without looking that that I had a green cat. When I finally found her hiding under a table I tried to remove as much wax as possible, but her poor right paw is full of the stuff. I called the wax company, but of course they're gone for the day, and her vet is closed. Now because of me "picking" on her she's managed to really hide and I'm afraid that the dye and FO(christmas tree) will be too much for her system. She's already blind in one eye and has vocal cord damage from a previous infection when she was a born. I don't know how many lives she has left.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. I'm gonna go and look for her again.

JG

Hi,

Never really had that happen so I am kinda guessing here...maybe rub alittle baby oil on her paws and then kinda comb it out. Or rub an ice cube on it to make it harder and then comb it out?? Sorry i couldnt be more help, maybe someone else will have a better idea.:)

Angied

I am sure she will be fine. Our new cat (3 mths) did the same thing, the DAY we brought her home. Jumped into a burning candle, crazy--but kittens are very curious. She hid for a while, but I found her and got off most of the wax. She is fine now, and no harm was done. I think it irritated her foot, but she was fine.

Angie - great ideas Of course I can't use anything hot but I never thought about cold. I'll try that since the only baby oil I have is lavender scented.

Jordan - you have set my mind at ease, if your newbie could handle it, I'm sure mine will be fine too, and yes they are very curious aren't they?

Thank you so much for your help.

JG

If the baby oil has Lavender ESSENTIAL OIL, then use it because it's an anagelsic, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal all wrapped into one, not to mention, a good cleanser.

The ice cube WILL work if anyone else has or will have this issue, the sudden extreme in temperature will make it brittle and it'll be a snap to clean.

I have three cats, I've gotten good at getting wax out of fur.

The ice is a great tip, I used it to get the wax off just about everything in my kitchen. I have two other cats so guess I'll be keeping those ice trays filled.

Thank you for posting the non-pet friendly EO's. This is good to know. I'm printing this out for future reference.

Looks like my Felix is back to her normal self. She woke up this morning racing around the house and she had a big appetite. I checked her skin and so far couldn't find any marks either.

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions and well wishes:)

JG

Please call your vet tomorrow and talk to them about this, just to be on the safe side.

And thank you happy paws for posting about the EOs- I was ready to jump in and say something until I read you post. EOs can be VERY toxic to cats, short term and long term. They lack an enxyme in the liver that is used to metabolize some of the compounds in many EOs, which can cause acute and chronic liver damage.

http://www.cybercanine.com/cat.htm

http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html