What's everyone working on?

lovemylabs

Since the holiday is over and the end of the year is fast approaching, the dreaded inventory and taxes are soon to arrive. My mind went to "company goals". I'm looking back over the past year and analyzing how and what we can do to improve, simplify and/or change. I know without a doubt there is room for improvement in EVERYTHING. I know one thing, I have overstocked. It's ridiculous what we have. I also know that I have serious issues when it comes to "fragrance control"...I don't have any when it comes to restraint from buying them! (Does anyone really?! LOL) Seriously though...I want to make sure we aren't trying to carry too many, but go through inventory and be realistic, adding and eliminating as we go. Also we're looking to streamline things we produce and focus on main, good selling products. I don't want to fall into the trap of feeling that we have to make everything just because someone else is and then overextending ourselves. But we will continue testing and trying new things that could be good sellers and eliminating the things that don't. And also, realizing in just about seven weeks it's Valentine's Day and then St. Patty's soon after, so we're focusing on scents and products for that. What's everyone else working on with their businesses?

Jumping into this with both feet surely has left me feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to start. I haven't been making candles very long and I know there is a lot more to learn and to read about the process. So with the holidays over, I'm taking time to sit down and organize.

I SO agree with you about 'fragrance control' .... I have none. LOL I want to try every FO that is available! I have pretty much narrowed down FO suppliers that I have and will order from (factors being strengths of FOs and location). I still have to select jars that I want to use, so to narrow down the suspects I've ordered several sizes and styles of jars to test with. I've also been using 464 wax and ECO wicks, which have given me some good candles, but as I'm reading threads and reviews, I'm going to try another wax (Advanced Soy from CS) and new wicks to see if I can improve on the finished product.

I guess for me, I'll be testing, testing and more testing. As I said before, I jumped in with both feet to feel things out and now, well now I'm going to focus my attention on the process and hopefully making a good candle even better.

The bad thought about doing inventory while on vacation is what I'm working on trying to get over lol!

So in the meantime I'm working on some combinations for perfumes and the perfume swap because I happened to lose the testers I was doing sniff, sniff and sigh.

Good thing I kept some notes though I suppose and ordered way too many test tubes lol.

I'm also emptying pots of leftover wax so everything is ready to be counted into inventory and I don't have to find the weights on my pots.

I'll be starting on all of our fragrances (shame on me for having way too many) but this year our labeling is going to need to include a lot more info, starting with why I bought it and what we're going to use it for.

After that, we'll be pumping out product (we hope) for V-day and getting ready for spring, label revamping for now is a consideration as is a major testing for jars and the establishment of groups of scents. We will be looking to replace some items that we discontinue and those will need to undergo a strict regimen of testing.

That all said, then there's the website to get updated ... man, so much for vacation eh?

In the past few months a couple of military wives have transferred into the area. They have made melts/tarts and are talking about expanding into soy candles. So I'll probably return to making paraffin and palm containers. Their melt/tart pricing is a little lower (per ounce) than mine but I have a solid client base built over the years. I do clamshells; they do molds.

There are also a few soapers (M&P, CP & HP) that have arrived so I can't branch out into that area. I'm exploring other options.

'Bout time for me to get educated in the social media, too. Need to get a good tutor to teach me about Twitter and Facebook. Never did anything with the website addy I'm paying for ... have to look into that also.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

There are also a few soapers (M&P, CP & HP) that have arrived so I can't branch out into that area. I'm exploring other options.

Don't let that stop you from learning! Remember that butter you won ... just saying, it was a hint for you to expand into B&B and soaping (some how I will connect it all for you LOL!)

I've spent so much time working with Palm, I decided to take some time away from it before I have to start testing some Spring scents. (although do have a few GG testers working.) Made some aroma beads a few weeks ago for gifts, now I am letting some sit about to see how long the fragrances last.

Decided to jump into soy tarts and clamshells. Had so many types of soy and paraffin sitting here collecting dust, thought it was time to use it. So while I wait for the clamshells and melters to get here (yes, I have no melters, LOL) , I started playing with different soy/soy and soy/paraffin blends in tart molds. Can only judge the way the look until they age a bit, but so far am happy with several different combos. The Ecosoya PB/4627 (75/25) looks amazing! Smooth, creamy, very slight dips and absolutely no frosting (PB/464 and PB/444 have VERY little frosting, can't really see it until you rotate it towards a light). I am using dye, BTW. But will see how they hold up while they cure. Also, while I had it out, poured a single 8oz JJ with 444. Looks pretty good, with only a couple small "wave lines" on the top. Minimal amount of heatgun work smoothed it out beautifully. So far no wetspots or frosting. But again, will wait and see what happens when it cures.

OK, I'll stop rambling. Trying to decide if I should post pics of all the different soy and parasoy blended tarts. They are all same scent, used the same dye, and poured all the same so I could compare them. Might be useful for someone.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm working harder on getting into new shows.. my goal is to have (an average) of one show a month, plus our weekly famers market if possible. I'm contacting more wholesale accounts. Working on product photography and my etsy shop.. working on more seasonal items, I want to be able to have something for every holiday, at least the bigger ones.

On the flip side, I'm going to be more reserved with what I order.. I need to add some diversity to my line but not as much as I was attempting this year. I'm also going to cut down my amount of FO's. I have too many.. time and time again I've discovered someone who wants to buy a candle will find one at my table to buy... I dont need to offer hundreds of choices.. its just not practical for us right now. I can dream of more choices someday when I have a shop :)

I have turned in all of my applications for the markets and shows I plan on attending in 2011. Paid in advance for most of them. Only a few smaller one day shows that I don't pay until closer to the date since they do not have their applicatrions out too far in advance. Typed up my show schedle for the year, printed it on colored paper, cut and have them in my show box to give out.

Have sorted FO's and will post for sale the ones I will not use in bath and body since I have decided that candle making is not for me.

Have researched displays until I am cross eyed and have decided on some additional fixtures for my indoor shows. Have ordered them.

Am working on making solid shampoo and conditioner bars. Otherwise I will just keep the products I have now and try to keep up.

I ham planning a fabulous 2011.

For 2011 I want to work on a luxury coconut wax line of candles, with maybe a 6 to 10 scents at the most. I'm going to try and pick up more wholesale accounts and maybe a sales rep or two. I'm also going to spend some more time working on a B&B line, I guess thats it for now.

Hope everyone has a great new year!

Well just like a lot of you we are going to rationalise the scents that we carry. We have nowhere as many of some of you guys, but when we got to about 90, figured that it was way too many and decided to cut down.

That's the plan at least, says he who just received 13 new 1 oz samples before Christmas :)

Working on our GG range and going to try and push that this year. Did a little last year which didn't really move. Could have been the jars, wax or scents, who knows. This coming year have new jars to try and going to stick with some scents that we already know sell oin Soy and see what happens.

Picked up a new wholesale account just a few days prior to Christmas, however this year we are looking to gain a few more. We will also do our one regular local market, but also looking at venturing down into Sydney to do one of the big markets. very expensive table rent, but also lots of tourists with money to spend, who in that area are all looking for something Australian made to take home.

It is shaping up to be a busy year (with pouring & testing already happening between Christmas & New Year), but hopefully a great one.

Am also playing with the idea of soap which I have always wanted to do, and conditioner - that one is a request from Tracy as she loves nice conditioner but to buy retail is so expensive. Have to research and see what I can come up with in the way of a luxury hair conditioner for her.

Good luck to all of you for 2011.....

shoot... I started a thread thinking one of these wasn't started yet. How did I miss that. grrrr Somebody can delete my other thread then:)

Well, My main goals are to get my oatmeal soap perfected, add more scents to my tart line, and get my wholesale/resale information completed. I have other goals too, but those are my main ones.

I just got (before Christmas) my big wholesale orders out.Then a few people called me that got my candles at shows.Got those done for the holiday and New Year.Now Monday I am delivering candles for a order i missplaced.It will be FREE.Checked out the address I wrote down and lo and behold it is a vet I haven't met but worked with on spaying and neutering.I give her business.I don't remember her telling me her name but Monday we will be meeting. The strangest thing is I have orders on my computer desk along with the spaying and neutering.In the last few months i never saw this order.Not one time.Then as I was getting a message for another order this one I hadn't seen for months was there (not before).The only thing by the phone is a lamp.It is spooky since my husband didn't put it there and we are the only 2 living here.:confused:

I think this year I will be busy with orders over the phone. More at least than years before.4 just recently and then my wholesalers buy year round. This will be my last year for shows and will be telling my customers this year. Just to much work.Try to promote my website more this year:yay:

Soon hope to put my Valentine page on and add a new very pretty jar to that line.

Looking to add BBW line.A customer wants some of those scents.Ordering those this week.

Just kicking back after a big holiday season and getting lots of things done.Not just candles but going through alot that I need to get rid of including some candle supplies I won't be using.

LynnS