Stupid question but....

lsbennis

ok, I know this is probably a stupid question but living in S. FL I normally don't experience cold weather but its pretty darn cold outside right now and I want to make some soap but my Palm Oil is hard as a rock!

Its in a container that looks like a bleach container with a very narrow top so I'm rather perplexed as to how to get the oil out of it. I can't fit it in the microwave, its plastic so I don't want to put it in the oven and it will do no good to put it out in the sun becasue its flippin cold out! :confused: I wonder if I hit it with the heat gun if that will loosen it up enough...oh well I guess this isnt even a question but a mindless rant...lol, thanks everyone ;)

Edited by lsbennis

Thanks Adillenal, thats a great idea, I was thinking of putting it in some warm water to make it pourable.

I was also thinking about that Scented, I can saw off the top so that I can just scoop it out when I need it, to be honest this has never happened before so I never really gave it much thought...lol

Thanks everyone for your advice! :smiley2:

Thanks everyone, I heated up the container in some warm water then poured it into a large container with a very wide opening do I can scoop it out if need be. I sure did feel stupid just standing there looking at it wondering how the heck was I going to get it out of there...:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Glad you got that to work. Usually when I have my hard oils in jugs like that (Columbus sends them in jugs like you're talking about) I cut the plastic off the whole thing, melt all the oil in my crock pot then re-solidify it in ice cube trays, silicone muffin pans, even tart molds. It's so much easier to get just the right amount that way, then it stores in zip lock bags, wide mouth mason jars, etc... It might be worth trying if you're in for a cold winter. I keep everything in the fridge, so it's always solid.

I live in Michigan where my coconut and palm oils are always hard this time of year. I've been brainstorming ideas on how to make it easier and quicker on me for these oils. This thread has helped me as well, so it was NOT a stupid question. My teachers at school said that the only stupid question was an unasked question. :)

So far what I have been doing with mine is filling a presto pot with some water and setting my container in there to warm up and melt. I've been contiplating getting containers and pouring the amount I need for my soap recipe in each container since I only make 1 recipe, but then I didn't know what to do if I was testing new recipes that called for a different amount. :)

Thanks for asking the question and giving me some ideas too.:)