Best wicks for GB464? What is your experience

Lol Judy, pretty much. I am new to this so was there a way to do a poll? That is exactly what I wanted. I like getting my supplies from Candle Science b/c they are half an hour from my house and I can just order and pick up. Unfortunately they do not sell the cdn wicks :sad2:

But yes from my readings and the responses on here it looks like the top two choices are ECO and CDN wicks! Thanks everyone for your input!:yay:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the instructions: (scroll down to the 4th block for the specific information) http://www.craftserver.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_polls

You get to it by clicking on the FAQ button at the top of any screen page ... pretty much all the links you need to answer board usage questions are there along with rules & regs.

I dont want to be a pill, but I was a newb to this forum not long ago (look at my join date) and I asked some dumb questions too.. and Nobody was HOSTILE... simply blunt. There is a difference..

there are no stupid questions.. but there are questions that have been asked a hundred times before and it gets old. thats all. I dont know a single person here who's intent is to do anything but help...

Edited by LuminousBoutique

And to answer your question, I've had the best results with CD's, however I think this depends alot upon your container because I've tested hemp, eco's, csn's and htp's and all I could make "work" depending on the container, FO, and additives. Really.. since you are so close to CS, I think its wise to try and find a wick with them that works. shipping is so costly, it makes sense to try your best to stick local with what you can.. BUT, dont hesitate to explore other options :) Good luck

Nothing wrong with your question, don't worry about it. If you wanted to know what size wick you should use for every candle you are trying, then that is a problem because it is impossible to know. Also, if you have been around here for any length of time, I am sure you have found out the search feature leaves a lot to be desired.

So Stella your problem with this thread is that Zi'm asking people who use GB464 what wicks they use and have had best results with. You wanted me not to post this thread and read through 500 posts to collect my data? I spent several hours reading through all of it. All I asked was for peoples experiences. I don't really see the problem with that. I've had a lot of helpful responses. I don't want to know specifically what wicks with my containers and FO....I will figure that out through test and trial. But if I get 9 out of 10 people telling me that for them a certain wick performs well for them with the GB464 then that might be a good starting point for me. If you don't use Gb464 and have an experience to share with me then you don't have to reply to this thread. Thank you to everyone else for sharing your good experiences with me. It looks like I'm going to give the cdns a try and compare to the ECO wicks! Great responses!! :yay::yay:

There's nothing wrong with your question. Some folks just like to babble and overuse their thesaurus.

One thing I will say, to throw another monkey wrench into your wick testing. Wherever you get your wicks is where you need to continue getting your wicks from now through eternity. For example, HTP 104 from one company may be different than HTP 104 from another company. For that reason, I would suggest getting sample wick packs from a company who carries a buttload of different wicks, like Candlewic. They frequently (3 or 4 times a year) have custom wicks half price, and I've been uber pleased with their wicks and customer service.

Don't get a specific size from one place and expect the same results from the same wicks from another place.

Jack thank you so much! I completely agree I'm just asking for suggestions from people to get a starting point, I mean I thought that's what this forum was for and it seems like there are more people telling me to just figure it out on my own. I don't want to test trial 20 different wicks it the majority of GB464 users are using the same kind of wicks (kind of like a poll to pick my top 2-3 choices). But thank you so much for answering my question :yay:

And you got tons of starting points. I use Low Smoke Zinc in mine. Nothing wrong with asking, but it'll only take you so far.

I also think that reading through 500 posts would be a really good idea. Wasting your time? Well, those of us who took time out to respond could probably be doing other things too... Not that I mind, just a pov you might consider.

And I hate testing wicks. HATE investing the time and money. But you know what? You'll have to do it anyway. With some reading you could probably have narrowed your wick choices down to maybe 3 kinds and 3 sizes.. Then you test a few candles to choose among them, then move forward testing with only those for the rest of your candles - till you find one, or two, or three that don't work well with them. Just like the rest of us have had to do.

Learning through research and experimentation - it's a good thing.

Edited to change "wasting" to "investing".

Edited by CareBear

I have used ECO 10's and ECO 8's for 2.5 jar diameter with GB464 with ok results. I had to let mine cure for a week to get some throw out of it.

Some people have tried the CD's and a few zincs with success. I have personally not tried those yet. HTH

But she's not asking exactly which size wicks to use. She's asking what TYPE of wick to use with her preferred wax. It's a simple question that deserves a simple answer. Example: I use HTPs with comfort blend. Another chandler might use zinc.

It's really a simple question and if I saw a post asking which type wick people prefer with comfort blend, I would say I use HTP and not bloviate and get in a snit about it. In fact I think about 6 months ago, someone did ask and I did answer.

I have a feeling she knows if she settles on a specific TYPE of wick, she's going to have to do a lot of SIZE testing.

Since I don't use GB464 (I don't even know what it is, lol), I'll butt out now. If you decide to switch to comfort blend, let me know.

santa chee

Nothing wrong with your question, don't worry about it. If you wanted to know what size wick you should use for every candle you are trying, then that is a problem because it is impossible to know. Also, if you have been around here for any length of time, I am sure you have found out the search feature leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you :smiley2: yes I searched for hours on this subject to find that I couldn't use words like bad or better in my search. It said that they were too broad of terms...so after I spent 4 plus hours reading through all the random and scattered info I just thought, "Well since I can't seem to find specifically what I'm looking for, why not post a new thread where whoever feels like answering me could." i figured that's what this forum is here for. I've been more than happy to help out by posting to answer others questions. Thanks so much for your comments though. I think it's pretty rude to tell people that they shouldn't ask questions. If it bothers people they just should ignore the posts. Anyways thanks for your optimism!

Sliverofwax: Thankyou so much. I mean seriously, I'm glad that you get it. That's all I wanted to know. It seems to make sense to me as well. I'm using ECO wicks that have been suggested to me from the candlescience wick guide but I just wanted to know what other people use for this type of wax. I have gotten great responses from some people. I agree, it's a simple question I don't need a whole freakin lesson. I wanted people who obviously have time on their hands if they are browsing through this forum to say, "Why yes! I use Golden Brand 464 wax and I have great results with ____ wick." that would take 5 seconds of someones time. LOL!!!! But thankyou for seeing this too :highfive:

Okay...I am done pouring candles for the year. :yay:

Just have to pour lots of tarts for Christmas gifts so I DO have some time on my hands...lol.

I have been using Candlewic's CBL130 for containers and just finished my last case. The price has gone WAY up but I see they now have 464 a lot cheaper...and I had done some testing with it a couple of years ago. I HATE to retest but I will if I can save $30. on a case of wax.

I went up to my shop and got my notes so I could post what wicks I was using...I used cotton wicks that I buy from KY Candle. Just glancing through all of the fragrances that I tested...my results are either good or great hot throw. I see that I DID try paper wicks that I had bought from C&S and the couple that I tested I have written NO THROW!!! Oh...I see one scent...Cinnamon Bread Pudding from TN that I wrote Excellent for hot throw. Oh...here are 4 more from The Candlemaker's Store that I wrote excellent. All using cotton wicks from KY.

I am using LX wicks in the CBL130. Used to use zinc and HTP wicks in one pour paraffins and also when I did my own blend of of straight paraffin and one pour. I tried hemp and performa wicks too...not my favorites...lol.

Anyway...this is MY experience with 464 and what wicks I used and had success with.

I'm sorry, but it isn't that simple and you DO have to evaluate opinions, experiences and information for yourself. Many opposing viewpoints are discussed, thus it becomes each reader's responsibility to sift through the information presented, apply and test what is pertinent to your individual situation. Learning new skills does entail frustration because none of us was born knowing everything about everything. There is a HUGE compendium of research, information, opinions and experiences on this site that is FREE for those willing to use the search tool, read and test. Making quality candles requires a lot of work and study. There is no substitute for experience and active participation in learning. JMHO

I'm sorry Stella but I disagree.. It is hard for some to get an answer yet others do. Simple question, what wick do you all/us use, if using 464 wax. I didn't answer cause I don't use that wax.. Do You?

Personally, I searched for days, not just a few hours, and I learned so much more than I ever would have by giving up and asking a question immediately. I did get a little confused with information overload and posted a question.

At that point, I got out my handy dandy notebook and hit the search feature AGAIN and made my own chart. It helped me more than you know.

If you read through Stella's past posts, you would see that she has a wealth of knowledge she is willing to share, AND HAS SHARED, over the years. Whether or not you like the way she responded to you, she should get some respect for all of the in-depth research she has done and the info she has been willing to share.

Since you searched this forum for 5 hours, you have probably seen, like I have, this very same question asked and answered over and over again, like I have. You should have found the redcommendation charts and polls on this very same topic, like I did.

I am new to this forum as well and even I am amazed at the number of new people that post the same question that has been answered time and again.

Experience and research are our best teachers. You simply can't argue with that.

Personally, I searched for days, not just a few hours, and I learned so much more than I ever would have by giving up and asking a question immediately. I did get a little confused with information overload and posted a question.

At that point, I got out my handy dandy notebook and hit the search feature AGAIN and made my own chart. It helped me more than you know.

If you read through Stella's past posts, you would see that she has a wealth of knowledge she is willing to share, AND HAS SHARED, over the years. Whether or not you like the way she responded to you, she should get some respect for all of the in-depth research she has done and the info she has been willing to share.

Since you searched this forum for 5 hours, you have probably seen, like I have, this very same question asked and answered over and over again, like I have. You should have found the redcommendation charts and polls on this very same topic, like I did.

I am new to this forum as well and even I am amazed at the number of new people that post the same question that has been answered time and again.

Experience and research are our best teachers. You simply can't argue with that.

I have a feeling you're going to be a valuable member to this forum. You know what you need and you have the get-up to go after it. Well-done, friend, and WELCOME! :)

Why so picky on the time thing. Could be she has researched more than you. I see where you have also asked for wick help. Now that you got your answers to hell with the rest.

IwantItgreen, it's so nice of you to tell us which member will be "a valuable member to this forum".

IwantItgreen, thank you for the kind words and the hearty welcome. I really appreciate it.

Sharon,

I was not being picky about the time, simply pointing out that 5 hours of research is not much when it comes to chandling. When I first thought about making candles, I, like many people, wrongly assumed it was a simple process. Once I saw how many waxes were offered, I told myself I better do some research and hit up some forums. Lo and behold, I found this one and the information gathering began. I read through vendors' websites, other forums and information pages. I utilized the information for newbies at the top of the forum.

If you re-read my post, I did say that I posted a question after reading so much information and getting confused. I also said that, after I posted my question, I got out my notebook and began researching all over again and taking more notes.

Since you have taken the time to search my posting history, perhaps you already ready my comment in another thread about how sometimes a reader can easily misinterpret the tone of an author's post.

Let's say, for s & g, that you didn't read my comment. An example of this would be that right now I am feeling a little stressed and extremely exhausted. Due to my current state of mind, I may find hostility in your post directed at me and IwantItgreen. I may also find you to be a bit overly protective, defensive and even enabling to a point of the the original poster.

On the other hand, if I would have waited to read your comment until tomorrow morning when I will be in better spirits after (hopefully) a good night's sleep, I may interpret your remarks as a friendly hello there, nice to meet you. Perhaps not.

Maggie,

Congrats on finishing up your pouring for the year. Now it's time to enjoy the holiday season!

IwantItgreen, thank you for the kind words and the hearty welcome. I really appreciate it.

Sharon,

I was not being picky about the time, simply pointing out that 5 hours of research is not much when it comes to chandling. When I first thought about making candles, I, like many people, wrongly assumed it was a simple process. Once I saw how many waxes were offered, I told myself I better do some research and hit up some forums. Lo and behold, I found this one and the information gathering began. I read through vendors' websites, other forums and information pages. I utilized the information for newbies at the top of the forum.

If you re-read my post, I did say that I posted a question after reading so much information and getting confused. I also said that, after I posted my question, I got out my notebook and began researching all over again and taking more notes.

Since you have taken the time to search my posting history, perhaps you already ready my comment in another thread about how sometimes a reader can easily misinterpret the tone of an author's post.

Let's say, for s & g, that you didn't read my comment. An example of this would be that right now I am feeling a little stressed and extremely exhausted. Due to my current state of mind, I may find hostility in your post directed at me and IwantItgreen. I may also find you to be a bit overly protective, defensive and even enabling to a point of the the original poster.

On the other hand, if I would have waited to read your comment until tomorrow morning when I will be in better spirits after (hopefully) a good night's sleep, I may interpret your remarks as a friendly hello there, nice to meet you. Perhaps not.

Maggie,

Congrats on finishing up your pouring for the year. Now it's time to enjoy the holiday season!

Well said:yay:

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend CSN wicks with 464. Between a selection of LX and CSN spools I feel pretty well covered for all the sizes and waxes I'm always trying out. I've tried CDN, ECO, HTP, RRD, etc but always come back to those two, except for SB in pure beeswax, and 12 ply for 1/2" tapers.

Since I work with Palm wax, I have LOTS of CSN wicks on hand and decided to try them with a blend of 464 and 444. The few times I tried them, they did give a good burn, definately comparable to the ECO's and CD's that I have been having luck with. But I have not finished testing, and still have alot of work to do yet.

Cheers,

Steve