Fire extinguishers?

Do you have one in your candle making work space and if so what kind?

I was speaking to my brother about it as he used to work for the rural bush fire brigade here and he thought that the foam kind might not be the best thing as it might cause a wax fire to explode or ignite MORE if sprayed on it? (But aren't the foam ones FOR fat fires...like you might use in the kitchen.....and we're using soy and palm wax here)

He suggested that a fire blanket might be the best thing?

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Fire types are divided into the following classes:

Class A Ordinary Combustibles

Class B Flammable and combustible liquids

Class C Flammable gases

Class D Combustible metals

Class E Electrically energised equipment

Class F Cooking oils and fats

Our waxes fall into the Class F category as they are effectively an oil or fat when melted. A foam extinguisher (Used predominantly on Class B fires) is considered only partially effective for a Class F fire due to it containing water and creating a possible boil over.

A web search on fire extinquisher types will provide the full details of what type is best for which fire type. A Class F is the one for oils & fats (wax) which is red with a yellow colored band.

Personally, for the amount of wax melted at one time in my operation, a good quality fire blanket to smother the oil fire, and a dry chemical (Class ABE - Red with White band) extinguisher to knock down other items that may have caught on (without spattering the wax) would be my choice. Firefighting would be a 2 pronged approach - smother wax with blanket, mop up any other items with the Class ABE.

If I had large wax quantities with a large surface area I would back it up with Class F extinguishers as well in case the blanket is not sufficient to smother the larger surface area/quantiites.

HTH

Bart70

I have two of them. The standard 2A:10BC for when I'm working with Paraffin.

Recently added a type K (which is a wet foam) designed for use on fires involving cooking oils and fats that I pull out when I'm doing Soy. It may be overkill and it is pricey ($150 + s/h) but reduced my insurance.

Both get checked by our local Fire Department every year.

I agree with you, DesertRose, the foam is supposed to be for cooking oil fires. There is a different application method between the 2 extinguishers. The ABC you are suppose to aim for the base of the flames. With the foam you are to apply it with the wand from above and let it smother the flames.

The least expensive would be Baking Soda if the flames aren't too high. But the fire blanket would cover a larger area. The lid of a pot acts like a fire blanket to smother the fire but it needs to remain on the pot until the pot is completely cooled; the wax could reignite if taken off too soon.

I think the F and K are for the same purpose ... the K I have has a silver tank and it's really easy to tell the difference since my ABC is red.

Edited by Judy, USMC
needed to clarify F and K

Thanks. Wow, who would have thought it got so complicated ....all those different kinds.

A fire blanket and keeping my lids handy is a good place to start I guess. I'll have to read more about the rest what with all those different types.

I never realized there was water in the foam ones? That makes more sense now. I remember once when out camping my fry pan caught fire and in a panic I threw water on it........ it EXPLODED into huge flames. I'm lucky I didn't burn the whole tent annexe down!

Edited by Desertrose

Judy,

You are correct - a "K" extinguisher is what is classified as an "F" in Australia. The standards vary a little from country to country. They are referred to as Wet Chemical.

Do not confuse this with a foam extinguisher however - standard foam is definitely not suitable for hot oil fires. I have see the result and it was spectacular. Foam extinguishers have a water carrier with a surfactant (special detergent) added. These are US Class B, or in Australia either a blue or red with blue band extinguisher

The K or F is a wet chemical types (potassium acetate) extinguisher designed not to cause deep fat fires to flare up when hit with it.

Definitely stick with the K or F, or dry powder if you want a backup for a fire blanket. Stay away from wet foam :smiley2:

Bart70

This is all very eye opening. I bought one a couple years ago and thought I had the right kind because I didn't want the water kind to use on ignited wax. Looking at it now I realize its not the right kind, its a BC type so it sounds like this is the kind with the foaming agent mixed with water.:shocked2: Although I was assured when I purchased it that it was the standard one to use.

With the foam you are to apply it with the wand from above and let it smother the flames.

Just needed to clarify the above statement.

The Class K is actually a mist when it comes out of the wand ... and it foams when it comes in contact with the veggie fats & oils. That foam smothers the flames.

When I got mine in 2005 they weren't in the home improvement stores (Lowe's or Home Depot) ... got mine through a restaurant supplier.

Edited by Judy, USMC
where I got my K-type

Just needed to clarify the above statement.

The Class K is actually a mist when it comes out of the wand ... and it foams when it comes in contact with the veggie fats & oils. That foam smothers the flames.

When I got mine in 2005 they weren't in the home improvement stores (Lowe's or Home Depot) ... got mine through a restaurant supplier.

You are correct....it uses foam to smother the fire, but the foam is created by a chemical reaction of the chemical in the extinguisher and the fire - hence the term wet chemical for these types to distinguish them from what is traditionally known as a foam extinguisher.

A traditional foam extinguisher uses foam like washing up detergent and relies on the heavy landing of the water base to spread the foam. across the surface. If the surface is already very hot (as in an oil fire) you get the boil over. Wet Chemical types will not do this.

Either way you have the right one Judy.....We all hope that none of us ever have the need to use one. :)

Bart70

This is mine. it says dry chemical, it says liquids and grease:laugh2:grease jeez I make grease candles.

My name is Soy327 and I make grease candles:laugh2:sorry I couldn't help laughing at myself, what was going through my mind.

Wow what a good thread thanks desertrose we all need to think about these things. Oh also this is going to change it's in the kitchen not my candle room.

post-11440-139458474931_thumb.jpg

Edited by soy327

For Aussies, I found a link that gives the suitability for the different types based on the Australian Standards.

http://www.fpaa.com.au/information/docs/Portable%20Fire%20Extinguisher%20Guide.pdf

This pretty well explains it - for those outside Australia you should be able to find your countries standards on the internet. The same principles will apply, just the way they are colored or classified will change.

Bart70

What a great question.. Didn't even think about what I would do, granted I've only been making candles for about two months now.. Thankfully my best friend is a volunteer fire fighter and he brought over a 10lb bottle of CO2 over ther summer, so I think I'm going to now make sure it's around when I'm playing with wax again.