Does more FO make a difference?

classiccandle

I'm testing GB 464 and GB 444 with one ounce of FO and getting "okay" HT. My question is, does increasing the FO to 1 1/2 ounces really make a difference in HT or is it more of a marketing ploy from the suppliers? I currently order my test FO's in one ounce sizes so I can't try adding an additional half ounce to see. If you guys have had success with the additional FO I'll start ordering two one ounce sizes to test with.

Thanks!

Russ

We like strong candles and so do our customers so we do use the 1 1/2oz per lb of wax and did get a big difference from the 1oz per lb. Don't use the GB 444 or 464 so not sure what the recommended load is for that wax. You might want to check that first =)

HTH

It might and it might not. Check to see how much FO your wax will hold first before making the leap.

For example if the FO is weak when u use 1oz, I doubt it would make it any stronger at 1.5 oz.. Now if it throws great at 1 oz but you want it stronger then I would up it to 1.5 oz.

I use 8% with most fragrances. Some I have to cut back a bit...especially if there is vanilla in the mixture. This is the percentage I use in containers. I tested the 464 a few years ago and really liked the wax...but the individual that I was buying it from...and that I was planning to continue to buy from had some financial problems and couldn't order pallets anymore...and then I found out she went OOB. Anyway...now that Candlewic is selling it I just might try it again. I used 8% in the 464 and had no problems with a good hot throw.

But...as someone else said...if it's weak and doesn't throw well...it's probably best to try the fragrance from another supplier. When I first order a new fragrance I don't pour a large jar. I pour directly into a flower pot votive or a 4 oz. jar and test for strength. If it throws really well in that small jar THEN I test in the jars that I sell.

i use gb 415...

with my testing i have found some fo's need to go to 1 1/2 oz. pp..

and some with that much fo, will drown out the wick..

and some don't have to have that much to have a great ht..

but i have never been able to use less than 1 oz. pp..

i have found with my wax after much testing, adding beeswax and different things trying to make the ht better..it did not help enough to make it worth its extra expence or time..

so now i test in just my plain wax..

another thing i have learned..i can test with 4oz of wax..and the appropriate amount of fo...let it cure..with that amount i will know if that fo has a good ht in my wax..if not, i dump it and go on to the next one..that has helped me cut down a little on testing expense..i normaly buy 1oz..that way i can test in my candle, and if it is a body safe fo, i also have enough to test in my test size soap..

but if it does have a good ht...i make a large size candle to test for wick size..

but you kind of learn also, a ball park idea of the size of wick you might need for the type of fo..

good luck...

this gb wax can get to you some times...i have tested many great fo's, that smell so good oob, but did not have any ht in my candle..

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

When I was testings different waxes I tested 464, 444 and 415. 415 did better for me and my surroundings.

You have to also remember that 444 and 464 has other botanical oils to help with glass adhesion, less frosting and a creamier look. I found that I got better CT & HT with the 415 and also more FOs work in that wax than 444 and 464.

Our range is anywhere from 6%-9% depending on the FOs and I have found that sometimes just a 1/2% more will make the difference in HT.